one office, three tanks - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ony View Post
Am I the only one to see the elephant in the room here?

Osmotic pressure has a far bigger impact on the health and life expectancy of the fish so I would be concentrating on altering TDS before worrying about details like PH. If you are changing the TDS though endlers would be a bad choice as they need hard water to really thrive and show their best colours.

Awesome scapes BTW, especially the 220
Thank you all for the nice comments. It is great to get such commentary from one's peers; most visitors just either ignore them (it's true!), or say nothing at all. I've had other fishkeepers see them and ask a couple questions and then say nothing; I took that as a compliment.

As for changing the pH, I am doing so (in the 220 only) at the strong urging of the fish importer after an expensive failure. He is successfully keeping hundreds of altums; so far, I am not. The lower pH will not be permanent (I hope), but raising it back will be gradual and after a few weeks of healthy acclimation. I cannot debate your point knowledgeably. At this point I am taking orders from someone who knows more than I do.

As for taxes, this will be my first year of being able to deduct office decor expenses. Seems to me that a few costs might make their way onto the return.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
Really nice! I like the new tank and that office view! Do you find maintenance on your fluval edge easy? I've heard a lot of complaints about the small opening.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
The small opening changes two things: 1 - Keeping the tank full to the opening means you cannot stick your hand in without water spilling out, so maintenance can only happen during a water change. This is not a big deal unless you like to constantly get wet like I seem to do. 2 - It is not difficult to reach corners unless you stick a big rock on one side like I did. The corner behind it is now impossible to service at all.

These tradeoffs (some self inflicted) are worthwhile to get the Edge's unique and attractive look. In a setting like mine it was important to avoid a utilitarian fish room vibe.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
post #33 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Awesome tanks, great looking office!
Can you actually get work done? My fingers would constantly be wet from tank tinkering all day.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g][2.1g] - [waterfall] [grow][pond]
post #34 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Algae Grower

Do you mind if I ask what part of St. Louis this is located? I was wondering because 1) the view out your windows is awesome, lots of greenery, but no landmarks I could pick out and 2) I'm wondering how your water compares to mine- I've lived in a few different parts of North County and the water was always pretty soft but now I'm in St. Ann and it is hard as hell, guessing TDS is somewhere around yours, I don't have a good test kit, just some crappy 5-in-1 strips and according to those GH is off the scale.

Thanks for indulging my curiosity, I'm totally new at this, I just set up my first real tank in July, I only had a little Betta tank before that.
post #35 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tanks are in Clayton. The view is looking west and north from the NW corner of Clayton.

My TDS is around 480.

RAOK Club #76

post #36 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

More pictures. The altum shipment was delayed and they will be added this coming week, but replacement sword plants and a little trimming gives us this FTS:

Left side:

Center:

Right side:

Closer look at the valley with two altums:

I thought this came out interesting. The rummy school sort of steals the show now:

It is too early to worry about hiding the equipment behind the background swords, but once the plants grow I expect to move the filter tubes into a less obvious visual role. Grow the plants and add some more angels; that's what is ahead.

RAOK Club #76

post #37 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow! Beautiful! Your Rummynose are displaying beautifully with the great setup. I love how you designed the rocks with the driftwood. Gorgeous!
post #38 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Algae Grower

You are an artist. LOVE the aquascape!

Alfred
post #39 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Algae Grower

Impressive! And I was thrilled with my 90 gallon in my waiting area!
post #40 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Planted Member

Tom the Big Tank is awesome Aquascape is impressive! I can't wait till the Altums get bigger.

Tanks Forever
post #41 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Big day today: my importer finally delivered ten more altums! They came half medium sized and half small. The smalls are just growing angelfish finnage - they are pretty darn cute and pretty darn small - the same size that my first batch came as. Pictures below show all 3 sizes in the big tank.

Without further adieu, Full Tank Shot:

Next are altum pictures. The largest are one of the two I have left from the purchase maybe two and one half months back. They came as the same size as the smallest ones you see in these pictures. These things grow quickly! (Yes I know the back wall could using scraping).

I thought this was kind of amazing. From the size at lower left to the size behind the leaf in 3 months!

Enough on fish; this is also about plants. The newer swords I added a few weeks back seem to be doing okay. Hooray. But to be honest I could use some advice or encouragement on several plants. Two of the three plants I chose for climbing on the driftwood are not thriving, which is why the wisteria (not a part of the long term plan at all) is still on the wood. It is also there to help get the tank through the first few months without severe algae, and you can see I am having some algae. I tied several bits of bolbitis to the wood and each one has done nothing but support algae growth. I cannot call them dead, just completely dormant looking:

Moss is the other driftwood and rock covering plant that is not doing much yet. I see minimal growth on several patches, that is all. This shot has moss on the right and at twelve o'clock and also shows the pathetic status of my ground cover:

The only driftwood plant that is thriving is the narrow leaf java fern. Here you see the marsilea quadrifolia (just left of the tip of the wood) looking exactly as it did 2 months ago when I planted it:

I realize that without CO2 injection things go slowly, but I had expected SOME glimmer of growth out of the ground cover and bolbitis. Comments welcome.

RAOK Club #76

post #42 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #43 of 152 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:04 AM
Planted Member

Nice Fluval - gorgeous! Insanely nice view, too! How relaxing. I really want a small tank for work.
post #44 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

First of all congratulations on you Angel arrival! They are cute. I think your Wisteria looks great, and was impressed how much it grew. Sorry to hear your other plants are not catching on like you want. I am finally getting better with my plants, but not good enough to offer care advise. If you haven't done so already, you should start a new thread in the plant forum to get tips. I think you'll have much better luck.
post #45 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Any progress with your plants? How are the new Angels doing?

Happy Fish Keeping
My Ever-Evolving Tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode