Big day today: my importer finally delivered ten more altums! They came half medium sized and half small. The smalls are just growing angelfish finnage - they are pretty darn cute and pretty darn small - the same size that my first batch came as. Pictures below show all 3 sizes in the big tank.
Without further adieu, Full Tank Shot:
Next are altum pictures. The largest are one of the two I have left from the purchase maybe two and one half months back. They came as the same size as the smallest ones you see in these pictures. These things grow quickly! (Yes I know the back wall could using scraping).
I thought this was kind of amazing. From the size at lower left to the size behind the leaf in 3 months!
Enough on fish; this is also about plants. The newer swords I added a few weeks back seem to be doing okay. Hooray. But to be honest I could use some advice or encouragement on several plants. Two of the three plants I chose for climbing on the driftwood are not thriving, which is why the wisteria (not a part of the long term plan at all) is still on the wood. It is also there to help get the tank through the first few months without severe algae, and you can see I am having some algae. I tied several bits of bolbitis to the wood and each one has done nothing but support algae growth. I cannot call them dead, just completely dormant looking:
Moss is the other driftwood and rock covering plant that is not doing much yet. I see minimal growth on several patches, that is all. This shot has moss on the right and at twelve o'clock and also shows the pathetic status of my ground cover:
The only driftwood plant that is thriving is the narrow leaf java fern. Here you see the marsilea quadrifolia (just left of the tip of the wood) looking exactly as it did 2 months ago when I planted it:
I realize that without CO2 injection things go slowly, but I had expected SOME glimmer of growth out of the ground cover and bolbitis. Comments welcome.