Progression shots. Most recent shot at the bottom.
Initially, this started from a single jar for extra moss.
And then this turned into multiple jars for different types of moss.
However, I noticed that the mosses didn't grow as well in stagnant water (might just be my experience) so I decided to set up a spare 10G tank with dividers. Initially I just threw the jars in with a long bubble wand for water circulation. However, the water wouldn't actually circulate into the glass jars, for obvious reasons. Thus, I changed it to dividers.
This was my first attempt so the dividers were made out of cloth mesh from Walmart and suction cups. The holes within the cloth allowed for water circulation. The long bubble wand was still present. This setup had great moss growth, but there were several problems.
- the moss would grow attached to the cloth mesh, becoming very hard to take off
- the cloth dividers began to smell really bad, maybe due to fert-saturated water column
So I decided to redo the dividers. This is how the cloth dividers looked after ~2 months.
Now, for the new boundaries. Made with cut up ziplock freezer bags (thicker). Also cut holes in them to allow for water circulation. For those wondering, a ziplock freezer bag is the PERFECT size for a divider in a 10g tank.
And finally, I started to cull my cherries into this tank. Moss was doing great, but the cherry culls... not so much. The water was really dirty with the snail/shrimp poop. So the shrimp I threw in would all slowly die over a week. We're talking 20+ shrimp dying. So obviously something was wrong. Decided to redo the tank completely, add substrate (thanks to xenxes's idea), and a filter as well.
All new updates will be here -> http://shrimpery.com/forum/photo-jou...hrimp-tanks#65