The Planted Tank Forum banner

Beginnings of a 55 gal. Iwagumi RCS farm (56k warning!)

4K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  FORREST3320 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so the time has finally arrived :biggrin:

After a large bottle of a deep red Merlot wine, I've decided it is officially time to begin the 55 gallon iwagumi attempt.

Following months of trial and error with my first 55 gallon planted tank, I've moved onto my second. For this tank I am aiming for a iwagumi style. My first tank has been a long and tedious process (which I've not documented on here) with battling hair algae and every other problem under the sun. I've slowly overcome these issues, and felt it was time for me to begin my second 55 gal.

In my first 55 gal tank, I went with a wide selection of traditional hardy plants ranging from Amazon Swords, Rotala Indica, Water Sprites, Anubias, Anarcharis, Java Fern, Dwarf Sag, etc. I will post a pic of this tank later on.

Thus began my second 55 gallon (with the Petco dollar per gallon sale :tongue:).

First off, I built a stand for this tank, as did I for my first 55 gallon. I followed an excellent guide by uarujoey from Youtube and DIYfishkeepers.com. I built his stand design with a few extra cross supports for my personal comfort. The design he shows can support up to a 150 gallon.... but I beefed it up even more.... for a 55 gallon :biggrin: The build is very easy and straight forward, cost roughly under $50 every time around. I use the more fine selection "white board" 1x6's or 1x8's for the top cover boards, and these wind up costing more than all of the 2x4s involved in the primary build. I cut, build, then power sand, and paint the aquarium stand a semi-gloss black.

Doing a test fill as I type this.... Cross my fingers for no blow outs :eek:

So to list the typical specs of a tank:

Tank:

55 gallon AGA tank (48" W, 13" D, and 20" H)

Light:

2 54w T5HO set up
Roughly 8 hours a day

Substrate:

Miracle Gro Organic Soil (bottom layer)
Safe-T-Sorb (top layer)

Filtration/Circulation:

Powerhead with prefilter (for CO2 distribution)

[STRIKE]Marineland Penguin 350 HOB filter (Possibly getting a 2nd)[/STRIKE]
Canister filter

CO2:

[STRIKE]DIY CO2
4 2L bottles via powerhead distribution when tank is eventually flooded
Planning/Saving for eventual injected setup.[/STRIKE]

Saving during DSM to buy a legit CO2 setup.

Fertilization:

EI method via GLA dry ferts [with extra random supplementation from Seachem Flourish Excel and Aquavitro Propel (iron)]

Rocks:

Random local rocks from state park (tested)

Plants:

HC carpet

Fauna:

[STRIKE]No idea - Def alot of shrimp and a large school of small fish[/STRIKE]

In my other 55 planted, I have albino corys, oto cats, neon and cardinal tetras, a clown pleco, amano shrimp, and RCS.

[STRIKE]Don't want to go with the same tetra school for this one... but I do want a large school. Considering some rasboras..... Open for any suggestions :wink:[/STRIKE]

Red Cherry Shrimp (hopefully 100s)
Amano Shrimp (~10-20)

Now draining from the successful test fill, will post pics in a min of laying down substrates! :icon_smil

See less See more
#2 ·
So some pics of the tank and the stand

Also, I've added 1/2" construction insulation beneath the tank to help with any discrepancies in the stand leveling. It appeared completely level, but I always want to be on the cautious side :tongue:

This insulation foam will be cut to fit around the tank once it is filled, or weighed down with rocks and substrate, and colored black to match the tank.

Not sure why the stand appears to have white dots on it with the camera... these aren't visible in person... I will still probably touch it up again with another coat tomorrow though :biggrin:

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Wow so happy to hear someone agree :biggrin: I just got the strangest urge to begin and stop all the planning :hihi:

Got the soil layer down, Safe-T-Sorb going down now. As a forewarning, I'd read this everywhere before.... but this stuff is dusty as a mofo. Rinse it repeatedly. I'm already planning on doing probably 5 fill-drain-repeats to clear up the water once I flood the tank.

Planning on doing a dry start with the HC. I've never handled HC before, so I'm sure it could go either way :tongue: One way or another, we'll get down some sort of carpet!

Also, got down my aquascaping. This was done at 3:30am :confused1: so I'm sure it may change a bit tomorrow... and for the next week or so. I will be receiving my 4 pots of HC from a LFS around Wed/Thu so the tank will have a few days to sit as just the soil.

Here are some pics of the MG Organic and Safe-T-Sorb for those who want to know!

Oh, got to get the background set up :tongue:

Attachments

#7 ·
Got word today that the HC pots will be in for sure this week, can't wait to get those planted in! Been watching youtube videos on preparation nonstop :bounce:

Going to go for a DSM on this tank. Never done this before, but really want to give it a go with the HC, as I've heard it does well with dry start. I've read to fill the water to just below the substrate line, and mist 2x daily..... Any other input would be greatly appreciated from those who've done a dry start method :biggrin:

Another thing... I've got to figure out how I'm doing the background for my tank. My last 55 gallon, I spray painted the back of it with a very dark blue.... loved the look of it, but I don't think that's appropriate for an iwagumi.

Considering a white board behind it? To give that glowing look? Any input on THIS would be greatly appreciated as well! :biggrin:

New pics coming soon!

#8 ·
Alright, so haven't gotten much feedback on the tank set up... :angryfire maybe these new pics will spark some ideas/feedback :biggrin:

Played around with the substrate slopes and rock layout a bit more, and tried to take some proper photos :tongue:

Still wondering about stocking ideas, DSM start up tips, and background color ..... Those are in bold for a reason :flick:

Attachments

#11 ·
Well... no HC today. Disappointed to say the least. I'm atleast relieved that my LFS owner opted to look out for me and not pick them up today because he said they looked pretty melted. Should be getting in a new stock on Monday. I'll hold out for these :cool:

Still went ahead and took some photos of newly arranged hardscape.

Oh, and ignore the random frosted piece of acrylic behind the tank ha, a trial and error piece for frosting it.

Attachments

#12 ·
So the more thought I've put into it... I'd like to go simplistic on this tank.

I have another 55 gallon with a large school of corys and neon tetras, and alot of stemmed plants, so I'd like to go with something really opposite on this one.

Going for HC carpet and a boatload of Red Cherry Shrimps... maybe even do some breeding... although I'm not sure they'll allow me to choose :biggrin:

With a delay on the HC shipment, I've started prepping the substrate a bit by misting 2x a day to keep it slightly moist. The HC should be in on Tuesday. Can't wait to plant this out. Upped my order to 6 pots of HC... hoping I will be able to reasonably distribute my 6 pots across the tank. If I need to order another 6... so be it.

Also, made some serious decisions regarding my equipment...

Decided to not go with 2 HOB filters, but go with an adequate canister filter for the tank.

Additionally, decided to go with a legitimate injected CO2 system. Thought about building my own regulator, but I just half way think I would rather spend the bit of extra money and get one built by a professional. Thinking I'm going to go with a GLA set up. Any other recommendations would be awesome for a full CO2 set up.

Considering these pretty extreme updates from my prior choices... I may be doing a bit of an extended DSM to save some more money. I think it will be worth it in the end. :cool:

#13 ·
GLA, in my opinion, is definitely the way to go when looking for CO2 set-ups. All of their stuff is good, you get great product support, and they have a variety of stuff to choose from. I got one of their Primo CO2 systems back in 2009 and it's been great. I wouldn't bother to buy a 5lb. tank, though, as it's plenty easy to rent one from a welding supply store.

I think going with a canister filter is a great idea, too. Eheim gets my vote, if you haven't purchased one yet.

Looking forward to seeing your tank come together. Iwagumi stuff is fascinating; so much thought goes into getting the layout just right.

David

#14 ·
Thanks for the reply David.

Hmm, I haven't considered renting a CO2 tank. I was actually planning on buying a 10lb tank... which isn't cheap. I may have to find out where I could locally rent a tank... even more so, I just need to verify where I can get it refilled :tongue:

I've considered Eheims. They have some great equipment. If I'm planning on purchasing a $300-400 CO2 system, then I may have to skimp *slightly* on the canister system. I've heard so many great reviews on the Sunsun/Aquatop filters, I think I'm going to take the plunge and try one... It's the difference of $100 compared to almost $200 for an Eheim/Fluval/Marineland.

#15 · (Edited)
When I got my CO2 system, I got it with the 5lb. cylinder, thinking I'd be able to get it refilled anywhere. Unfortunately, paintball supply places wouldn't touch it, and welding supply places only do exchanges. If you have a beer brewing supply place near you, they might do refills without much hassle.

But the $20-something cost of renting a tank for 2 or 3 months before needing to be replaced outweighed the hassle of trying to find someone to refill it.

David

EDIT: Most nearly any welding supply store (Air Liquide, Hollux, AirGas, etc.) will rent many different sizes, 5lb. and up!

#16 ·
This is a good point. I haven't even considered looking for welding stores. I know alot of people recommended beverage places, like soda machine companies. Although that seemed a bit random to me. Because of this, previously, I had considered the paintball method.... but I just figure go the whole way and get a 5 or 10lb tank.

I'll have to do some searching for a local welding supply store. Thanks for all your advice DBridges! :D

#17 ·
Beginning to get really annoyed with this waiting game. Second time in a row now that my LFS has failed to get my HC pots.

Going on 2 weeks of waiting now. I'll give it until next Monday, then I'm just going to order through a supplier on here... Prob should have done that in the first place :redface:.

Been misting my substrate every day or every other day, just to keep it moist until I can get in my HC. Hoping all goes well when it does arrive. Been using this delay to really read up on DSM methods and about all of the problems that may arise. I believe I've ordered enough HC that I will be able to reasonably cover my entire tank bottom.... hopefully reducing overall DSM time until flood :biggrin:.

As I mentioned previously, I've decided to turn this 55 into a shrimp tank. I've got another 55 with a large school of neons and corys. Wanting to go with something completely different on this one.

In the mean time, while I wait on my HC pots, I've started up another 10 gallon DSM tank. Got down some soil, topped with SafeTSorb. Went and got a baseball size clump of Java Moss from my LFS and spread it out all evenly across the substrate. Running 2 15w 6500k CFLs about 6" above the tank. Misting once daily and keeping it saran wrapped. Hoping to get this moss rooted quickly, so I can flood and cycle, then order about 30 RCS :bounce:. Hopefully by the time my 55 is done with DSM, I'll have plenty of RCS to transfer from the 10.

Hoping I will have some updated pics soon with the HC planted!

Any feedback on anything I've mentioned before would be great :)

#18 · (Edited)
Don't get too hung up on constantly spraying the tank down. The point behind DSM is more about the humidity levels, as opposed to the actual moisture on/in the substrate. You want the lower level of the substrate to have water in it, but once you get near the top it should be dry.

If your glass is that dry without you having wiped it down for photos, you may not be holding enough humidity inside the tank.

#19 ·
Thanks for the reply, csmith :)

I've heard this a lot, and I def agree. My substrate is very absorbent so I'm really just trying to keep it wet prior to planting. I've yet to add any water to tank other than misting at this point. I will fill it to just below the substrate top before I plant.

In these photos, I don't have saran wrap on the top, as I haven't planted anything yet, so that is why there is no condensation :tongue:

I'm planning on misting once a day or every two days, when I finally get some HC planted. I've SUPPOSEDLY got 6 HC pots coming into my LFS on Friday, then I'm also getting some HC mats from a vendor on here. Hoping I'll have enough to completely cover the bottom, so that it won't take as long to fill out. Enter the double edge sword... I am also hoping that I just don't wind up suffering a substantial loss by planting it all, and then losing it all (since this is my first round with DSM) :icon_eek:

I'm thinking I'm going to keep maybe a pot or so, in some soil under a CFL. That way I'll have a small bit to use if all else goes down hill.

#20 ·
Keeping some as a safety net is smart, DSM can be tricky once you begin. On my tank I have cling wrap only on the back half, and the front half has the glass lids. This leaves a few extremely small gaps where air can escape so it isn't completely soaked inside.

Remember, if you're getting submersed HC and putting it into the DSM the transition can look a lot worse than it is. I thought mine had melted and died until I saw sprouts coming up.

#21 ·
As far as I know, both sets of HC I'm receiving are emersed grown.

I couldn't care less as long as it comes back green and continues to grow :biggrin:

I'm planning on putting saran wrap on the whole tank, with lights on 12 hours a day. Opening the saran wrap every morning and allowing some airflow for 5 minutes or so. Possibly misting again, if it seems that it is needed, then re-covering.

The HC pots SHOULD be in tomorrow!

Realllllyyy crossing my fingers this time... :icon_neut..... :biggrin:

#24 ·
Unfortunately this tank was a massive disaster. :icon_neut

HC never came in, my LFS went under I suppose as I never received any word of my shipment, and they won't answer the phone anymore. Don't even seem to be around as a matter of fact. Excellent.

Ordered some S. Repens and planted those. Hair algae outbreak of monumental proportions ensued. Tank basically went downhill from there. Since this has happened, I've re evaluated my ideas about an iwagumi tank. :cool:

In addition to this, maintenance and water changes on 2 55 gallon tanks, a 29, a 20, and 2 10s was becoming a major nuisance. I have since downsized considerably and am about to sell off alot of equipment and tanks. Will likely post some of these in the SnS on here.

I still am keeping my older low tech, low light 55 gallon, which is doing amazing by the way. But instead of keeping all of the other tanks, I am getting rid of the rest and purchasing one rimless tank for an iwagumi set up.

Planning on purchasing a ADA 60p or a Mr Aqua 60. :biggrin:

I've also purchased a full GLA CO2 set up, and obtained an Eheim 2217 filter for this upcoming 60p project. :thumbsup:

Now in the process of purchasing the whole ADA substrate system, lights, and deciding on rocks and plant choices.

There will be a journal for this upcoming iwagumi tank, probably set up in the next month or so. Hopefully everyone who was following this will transfer over :redface:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.