The Planted Tank Forum banner

Another guy... Another 12g long... Another DSM... Another filled

40K views 143 replies 47 participants last post by  Powerclown 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Here is my first rimless tank. I don't alway have time to photograph it but i'll try to keep updating it.

Tank: Mr. Aqua 12g Long
Substrate: AS Amazonia and powder
Hardscape: Seiryu stones
flora: HC, fissidens fontanus, mini pelia, Micranthemum Umbrosum, and some others.

I wanted to create an aquascape of two islands with some kind of story behind it. Unfortunately I can't think of one and maybe someone else will be inspired by this scape to write one.

But on to some pics.

FTS 52512

Right side

Left side

I didn't really like the right side because the stone was so huge. I found two stones to replace them.

Right side(new stones)

Left side

Thanks for looking!

Aloha!

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks! I'll probably wait another 2-4 weeks. I got something I want to try with this scape.

looks great, good start, i love DSM, makes it soo much easier to keep your plants rooted and healthy, looks like you wont have to have it too long without water love the stones by the way
Yuup, DSM does make it root better. Your stone placement in the 10 gallon is pretty impressive too!

#16 ·
I think it was mostly planted. I had another small 1.8 gallon tank with an HC carpet. I trimmed it every 2 weeks and just left the trimmings floating in that tank. After awhile, I sprinkled it on the bare patches and let the roots go down. 2 weeks later, i did another trimming an sprinkled it to fill in. Finally, I put on a thin layer of powder Aqua soil.

The HC is getting very long. I'm trimming it short and leaving the trimming in to grow into a very dense carpet.

I recently drained my 1.8 gallon tank due to mutant blue green algae. I'm in the same boat as you watching it transition to emmersed form.

#18 ·
Thanks! I'm not sure what to do with that cave. It looks like an eye to me.

I swear, if you had another concave rock for the opposite side - you could create the gates of oblivion and send your shrimp to all damnation *palms his hands together* MuHAHA

i do love how you got little patches of moss or HC going on the grows - makes it look so ancient
LOL. This tank will be Hell, if I got any expensive shrimp. I'm too lazy to raise them. I'll stick with the wild ones for now.(maybe some blue pearls later)

#14 ·
I swear, if you had another concave rock for the opposite side - you could create the gates of oblivion and send your shrimp to all damnation *palms his hands together* MuHAHA

i do love how you got little patches of moss or HC going on the grows - makes it look so ancient

#22 ·
Looks good! Have you thought of using anything as background plants behind the seiryu?
Thanks! I have an idea for some stems back there but I'm not sure what kind. It'll probably be something red.

Nice I really like the 12G Long. If it werent for the price I would have one already because its not too big and seems perfect for shrimp. I really envy people like you that have the patients to do DSM. Maybe on my next tank.
You should get one! These tanks are really nice for a small landscape. The DSM is more of a nessesity with 2 kids and wife who doesn't like me working on the tanks for too long.

nice! you're really utilizing the length well.
Thanks Aweeby! I went to my first HAS meeting last friday. It was a pretty interesting topic about importing livestock. I'm going to try and import some shrimp and use the reason "for aquaponics". I wonder if it'll get approved. lol

#23 ·
Oh, cool, i went too. personally, i think i've seen better presentations. I feel like the basic message was: It's technically super hard to do things by the letter, but the legal system is pretty much screwy anyway, so it's all good. Meh.
Did you end up staying for the auction? For some reason, no one wanted to bid on the equipment so I got some pretty decent HOBs. Anyway, are you going to enter the show with this? Would be pretty cool.

Thanks Aweeby! I went to my first HAS meeting last friday. It was a pretty interesting topic about importing livestock. I'm going to try and import some shrimp and use the reason "for aquaponics". I wonder if it'll get approved. lol

#32 ·
This past Saturday and Sunday our lfs Aquascapes had their 4th Anniversary Sale. These sales are special events not just for the prices but this is when the rare plants come out. Sorry, I didn't buy any of them but next week I'll be kicking myself.

Saturday's special was 20% off of aquasoil and 30% off of fish and plants.(I was there@10am) Sunday's special was 20% off of ADA tanks and hardscape materials, and limited bucephalandras.(I had to work :( ) I was planning to buy some aquasoil(didn't happen, spent too much on plants and fish) and a Tank(but I was still at work). Oh well, I guess I'm going to buy it at full price... At least I know it would help keep Aquascapes around.

Here are a few things I bought.

Eleocharis flavescens

Just a regular crypt but sooo red. This went into my jungle low tech 10 gallon.

These plants were sitting in their bag for about 6 hours because I had a function to attend to. I also took out a rock in my 30 gallon to make room for them.

#37 ·
Looks like you picked up some nice plants at Aquascapes. Is that an Alternanthera 'variegated' I see in the last pic? That's one of my favorites.

Nice grab on that hairgrass too, I don't think many people have that species yet.

I think it's human nature to second guess your choice for your stones. You wouldn't be the first person to feel that way. I like the stone you have though.

#40 ·
Is this it? I hope it does well in this tank. I don't think the light is strong enough because everything is reverting back to green.

I'm hoping the hairgrass spreads so I can use it in the future. Right now I got it growing in this tank and emersed.

I guess I'll leave the stones in but try to raise it high above the substrate.

Thanks!

#38 ·
i envy your purchases greatly... and now am second guessing myself.... probably should've bought the whole bin... whyyyy

edit: sorry, didn't realize something
the colors on that arctuata are amazing. I didn't recognize it at first... and the inclinata too...
if you ever decide to sell your clippings, you have a ready buyer here. :p

#43 ·
Inspiration Aulani

Recently I took the family to the Disney's Aulani for a day. Disney created a very natural enviroment which I thought I could use for the next tank.

This wood is probably made of concrete. I wish i had the skill to create driftwood.

The Koi pond

This is the first time I saw one of these.

Look who I found :)

Enjoy! Visit Hawaii sometime.

#52 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.