The Planted Tank Forum banner

Another guy... Another 12g long... Another DSM... Another filled

40K views 143 replies 47 participants last post by  Powerclown 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Here is my first rimless tank. I don't alway have time to photograph it but i'll try to keep updating it.

Tank: Mr. Aqua 12g Long
Substrate: AS Amazonia and powder
Hardscape: Seiryu stones
flora: HC, fissidens fontanus, mini pelia, Micranthemum Umbrosum, and some others.

I wanted to create an aquascape of two islands with some kind of story behind it. Unfortunately I can't think of one and maybe someone else will be inspired by this scape to write one.

But on to some pics.

FTS 52512

Right side

Left side

I didn't really like the right side because the stone was so huge. I found two stones to replace them.

Right side(new stones)

Left side

Thanks for looking!

Aloha!

See less See more
#91 ·
It's been awhile since I posted in this journal. The tank survived the flood and the BGA was taken cared of. It doesn't look like melting occurred but I did pull out the HC while taking out the BGA and dead roots. I also found some riccia in the tank and have no idea on how it got there. I've never had it before.

Well here is a quick pic. I lost my tripod attachment so it may be out of focus.

Thanks!

Don't mind the ugly, green spray bar... one of these days I get the right tubing and make a good one. :)

#97 ·
Hello Kai,
Ive been gone from the planted tank scene for a while and this is my first post since coming back home. I love the way your tank looks and the placement of the rocks. The riccia more than likely hitch hiked in with your hc and its gonna be really hard to get rid of it. Riccia from my experience doesn't like Excel dosing. This is how I got rid of my Riccia but be very carefull because most plants do not respond well to Excel also. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing how your tank progresses.

#98 ·
Damn! Welcome back! I feel honored that you're checking out my journal. I was inspired by a lot of the 12 gallons on this site, but yours was the only one I saw in person and I was amazed.

I kinda like the riccia the way it looks now, but yeah I know what it's going to turn into. I think I got it all out(probably not).

Thanks again for stopping by.

The pictures don't do the tank justice but let me remind everyone what your tank looked like.

These were taken from the aquascapes show 2011.

#99 ·
Haha thanks for your kind words. I didn't think anyone had pictures of that tank lol. I'm slowly getting back in the game again and will be starting a couple new journals for probably two 120p's or a 120 and 90p. Just collecting all the necessary equipment and stuff right now. Just let me know if you need any help with anything. I'll try and help the best I can. Keep up the good work

#102 ·
Happy New Year!

I know it's a couple of days late but, I've been busy in the Holiday season and haven't been updating this journal.

First of all, my 36 inch t5no coral life fixture died on me and melted the splash guard. I won't be using that one again. :( I currently have 2 15watt cfls over the tank and I'm still deciding between the finnex fugeray or ray2. I need to make a decision soon because the HC isn't looking good at all.

My current inhabitants are 3 otto's, 2 SAE, and a bunch of Neos. The ottos and the SAEs are uprooting the HC, so I'll probably take them out.

This tank isn't turning out the way I imagined it to be but It's getting there.

Yeah, I still got the ugly green spray bar.

SAE

#104 ·
Thanks Travis, yeah I should have entered it... I came back from two week vacation and the tank wasn't filled at that point. I didn't think it was ready but it looks like some of the other entries weren't ready too. You should have a journal of your tanks. Getting that 40 ready for the show is a great story. Hopefully I'll enter it this year.

#110 ·
Ok, time for a the monthly update... err maybe quarterly update.

From January till now, I added 10 neons then took them out. Had some shrimp but took them out. What was left in the tank was planaria and scuds. So I added a betta, darter tetra and a pea puffer to get rid of them. The fish have been getting along well for the last month until I found the darter dried up next to the tank last week. :icon_cry:

As for the scape I've been adding stones and doing a lot of trimming. I'm planning to enter this tank into our local expo in October. I'm still undecided to either keep this scape or start all over because I'm again not 100% happy... What to do?

Oh well, here's a FTS for now.

#118 ·
#117 ·
You have a lot of time till the show. Although a beautiful scape, I vote ditch it and start from scratch, but of course this is dependent on money and how much time you can devote. IMHO, you'll never be 100% happy with this scape but my guess would be that you can be a lot closer to that 100% happy state with your next scape after incorporating your developed knowledge and experience with this tank into your next work of art.

I know my tank is very far from being a show tank but I can honestly say my happiness level is and has been in the 95-100% range. Fluctuation of my happiness is based on stupid algae and other minor stuff....lol. Props to people that actually win awards for their scapes, the planted tank scaping scene have some brilliant artists......truly amazing what they achieve.

Anyways, just rambling a few thoughts. Goodluck with whatever you decide.

Btw, what don't you like about your current scape anyways?

#120 ·
Thanks man.

You don't know how many times I was tempted to buy another one and start all over. But I kept hear this voice in the back of my head saying not to. (I think it was my wife's voice)

I've been lucky with algae in this tank since it's been stable for awhile and yours will get there too.

What I don't like about this is balance from both sides, details of the rocks, and the current plant/moss growth on the rocks arrangement. I've may some changes again and think I'm getting closer.

Mahalo again for the feedback.

#127 · (Edited)
Oooops, haven't updated this in awhile. This tank have been through ups an downs.

1. I tried to get rid of scuds by using H2O2 and it killed a bunch of HC.

2. In August I got a current Satellite LED + light.

3. Also, in another attempt to kill of the scuds, I drained most of the water, then poured carbonated water. It got rid of some but of course they are still there.

4. Added more rocks

5. Finally got around and made some DYI intake and outtake pipes.

6. Added some other stems, rotala butterfly, rotala nanjenshan(maybe)

7. And finally enter it in a Local Aquarium Club show and won! But I was the only entrant at the show. :(

Oh yeah some pics. Sorry about the quality. The pics were took after I filled the tank up.

Down below shot

Left side

Middle

Right side

#130 ·
Oooops, haven't updated this in awhile. This tank have been through ups an downs.

1. I tried to get rid of scuds by using H2O2 and it killed a bunch of HC.

2. In August I got a current Satellite LED + light.

3. Also, in another attempt to kill of the scuds, I drained most of the water, then poured carbonated water. It got rid of some but of course they are still there.

4. Added more rocks

5. Finally got around and made some DYI intake and outtake pipes.

6. Added some other stems, rotala butterfly, rotala nanjenshan(maybe)

7. And finally enter it in a Local Aquarium Club show and won! But I was the only entrant at the show. :(

Oh yeah some pics. Sorry about the quality. The pics were took after I filled the tank up.

Down bellow shot

Left side

Middle

Right side
I knew it was ur tank! I remember u said u used fissidens to fill your tank along with the hc.. That tank was beautiful!! I would have entered for fun if I didn't have to work... !

#135 ·
Sorry for the confusion. I think somewhere in this journal I updated I have CO2 with a Cerges' reactor. As for dosing, I does pfertz after water changes and whenever I remember to. I never used excel because of the Mini pellia in the tank.

The tank is pearling like crazy because I took these pictures after I filled it up with water. I took out all the water to transport the tank back home after it was in a local show.

Thanks for looking. Your mini M is a great tank too. I think I might be going for a smaller, and lower maintenance tank in the near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.