The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA 120H + 60p

106K views 380 replies 73 participants last post by  fplata 
#1 · (Edited)
Seems a bit narcissistic on my part, why would anyone want to read what a beginner like me has to say about a planted tank. Years ago I gave it go and I was very successful at growing all sorts of unpleasant algae and some things that have probably never been discovered by science, I wish I had pictures, I guarantee you that these pictures will make you a believer in aliens from a far, far a way galaxy. I digress, I am giving it go one more time, this time it’s a bit different, I read and read and read until I read the whole internet(s), not quite, but I did read quite a bit, not that that is going to make me successful, but it will increase the odds, that along with my hard head should eventually help me grow something green other than algae and those alien things (if I fail I should sell those alien things on ebay, some fool with certainly give me $1.59 with $4.31 for shipping and handling, to recoup my losses). I should also mention that Frank from ADG has spent numerous hours answering all my questions and providing me with guidance. (Aquarium Design Group of Houston = Best customer service I have ever received). Now for the equipment; I am not going to list every little item, as most of you know what it’s needed. But in short, I ordered an ADA 120H, with an ADA filter, lighting, CO2 system, substrate and everything else I needed or thought I needed. I did look at other manufactures, including custom built tanks and the like, I decided on ADA because of the customer support from Frank at ADG. I have built my own stand and will post pictures of that for your critique. I am hoping I get my tank et’al in the next 3 weeks, I will then start taking pictures of the steps I am following, lessons learned, Etc. I will like to know if you are interested in this kind of journal, I am not claiming that you will learn anything from my writings, but I can, with a great degree or certainly say that I will make you laugh at least one time and probably cry as I write this journal from a beginners aqua-escapist (if I can call my self that) and from a failed philosophers point of view. Now I wait until I get my tank. Pictures will come soon and I hope to be of some entertainment to you.

Updated: Immages of a prototype stand i built for the 120H. I will take some better pictures once i have the tank, etc.

Please let me know what you think of it

See less See more
#108 ·
wow...........i mean WOW..... so jealous right now.... i stayed up all night working on my tanks as well..... still have two more that are empty.... ya know if you have extra plants and dont want em' i'll gladly take them off your hands ;)

great tanks so far... keep it up very impressed

#113 ·
A quick Thank You to Frank!

I should mention that Frank from ADG has provided countless hours of support both technical and philosophical as it pertains to natural aquarium, If i am able to succedd with these tanks a great deal of that success has to be credited to Frank for all his help. This is the best customer service i have ever received.

#115 ·
I should mention that Frank from ADG has provided countless hours of support both technical and philosophical as it pertains to natural aquarium, If i am able to succedd with these tanks a great deal of that success has to be credited to Frank for all his help. This is the best customer service i have ever received.
This looks really nice. Once it fills in these tanks will be wonderful.

Yeah I was going to say you made that post at 8am lol you must have spent all night working on that. Props. That's some hard work.

Looks amazing!

#130 · (Edited)
A Few Questions...

LOL! On the butt it shall be!:hihi: I meant to ask you in a previous post, but never got around to it - what has your experience been like using the ADA filter? It looks so sleek and technically precise with the pump motor on top, but I've never actually seen the insides. Specifically, what kind of media does it use? How strong is the flow and is the flow adjustable? How quiet is it (both inside the stand and outside)? Overall, what is your general impression of it's build and efficacy? Oh and I don't seem to recall reading a plant list anywhere but maybe I've missed it. And finally, is that lileaopsis in those day 2.5 photos of the 120, and if so what type? Thanks!

#128 ·
Make sure to do what Frank is telling you here, the Anubias will grow much better and look better but many are scared to trim them aggressively.

Water changes(lots and 2-3x a week etc is a min for the 1st 2 months for myself) and CO2 adjustments, watch and do these frequently to optimize things.

I've seen many tanks set up and fill in but then go bad after a few months/year or two.

Good long term care is required.

#123 ·
Those tanks look so damn good I feel like flying to Miami just to slap you in your face. Ok. Seriously, I'm impressed. You did it properly and I agree that far too many people don't plant heavily enough (with Aquasoil) in the beginning and wonder why they're having algae problems. IME, Aquasoil is the real miracle gro substrate. If ADA could make the pellets stand up to time better, and come in a black color, I'd switch back immediately. Those are really, my only complaints with it...anyway, can't wait to see this progress. In 1 month it's going to take OFF.

#124 · (Edited)
ill prefer a slap in the butt, but that is just me :). i can't wait either. lots of work and planning, finally executed. my next project (fully in its way) is wabi-kusas, which is the way i plan to plant my next tank, 100% wabi kusa planted and 100% of the wabi kusa gown here. Soon i will post a couple of pictures of my wabi kusa rig, I need to make sure it works first before i go posting pictures. Ill be working on creating some wabi kusa balls today with all of the extra plants i had, mainly glosso (for wabi kusa carpet needs),some mosses, and ill use some of the locally found stems like bocopa carolina and what ever else i can get in the local lake and canal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.