The Planted Tank Forum banner

bitFUUL's Tool Box of Plants- Emersed Growing, Wabi Kusa, Aquaponics, & Rimless Tanks

36K views 63 replies 22 participants last post by  bitFUUL 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated Posting:
Due to the overflow of plants, I've been documenting all sorts of various grow projects in this thread.
Many of my other threads have been condensed into this thread too.
Happy Growing!

Original Posting:
Currently I've got roughly 12 plants growing in my cinder block / wood grow station. There are 3 levels, the bottom two for emersed growth and a 50 gallon on top for phase 2 (what's phase 2? I don't know). The plants are growing in plastic bins with 80% peat soil and 20% humidity control fertilized soil. For lighting, I've got 3 light strips, each contains 2x T8 light bulbs (4 foot long) 6500k. Plants are watered daily and an box fan blows air on the plants at set times throughout the day.

Plants:
  • Hemianthus Callitrichoides (Dwarf Baby Tears)
  • Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis (Micro Sword)
  • Glossostigma Elatinoides (Glosso)
  • Eleocharis Parvula (Dwarf Hairgrass)
  • Staurogyne Repens (Tropica 049)
  • Bacopa Australis
  • Hydrocotyle sp. Japan (Pennywort)
  • Bacopa Monnieri
  • Micranthemum Umbrosum (Baby Tears)
  • Hemianthus Micranthemoides (Pearlgrass)
  • Cryptocoryne Ciliata
  • Cryptocoryne Parva (Crypt Parva)
  • Java Moss
  • Sword 'Narrow Leaf Chain' (Echinorodus tenellus)
  • Four Leaf Clover Dwarf - Marsilea hirsuta
  • Cryptocoryne, Wendtii, Bronze (Cryptocoryne wendtii v. Tropica)
  • Hygrophila Pinnatifida
  • Green Temple Narrow Leaf (Hygro Corymbosa 'Siamensis')
  • Green Temple (Hygrophilia corymbosa)

Pictures:

See less See more
#4 ·
That looks really nice. I love how simple yet well thought out it is. It almost is like a tool box for a planted tank. I may steal your idea and get a little book case since I have 3 identical 30 in light fixtures. Never thought about doing it the way you are, even though I have grown a lot of plants emersed in a similar fashion outside, I never thought it could look attractive in doors. I love how you labeled everything and kept each plant separate.

#5 ·
Thanks talon. For years I've been using cinder blocks and wood for my vinyl collection. So having the extra blocks/wood in my garage, putting together this grow station was super easy. For the amount of plants that are squeezed in here, it doesn't take up a whole lot of space. I did separate all the plants out, because most of these are foreground/lawn plants and they tangle very easily.

Also, I was considering doing this in my house, but I'm glad that I've got it in my garage. Although it gets hot in FL, our garage is insulated and it's very humid inside. So I keep the plants covered most of the time, unless they've been over sprayed and then I let them sit "open" for the night. Plus I'm seeing some light flies and spiders in some of my boxes too, probably better in the garage.

But it's been a few weeks and all of the plants are growing wonderfully.

#7 ·
"almost is like a tool box for a planted tank"
Exactly, this is awesome guy:thumbsup:, great set up you have like a perfect supply of nice species that anyone would want to have on hand for there tanks and re-scapes. Great idea and yes so budget friendly. I wish I had the space to set up something like this. City living on the 3rd floor apartment in San Francisco has its limitations unfortunately.

#14 ·
I've actually got covers for the boxes. But for photos, I removed the tops.
The fan is to help evaporate water in hopes to keep the mold down.

Nice setup bitFUUL. It seems like a great way to go to be able to create a beautiful tank with full plants.

When it comes time to plant these in your tank, will you remove each plant by the roots, or will you transfer some of the medium they are growing in to your tank? I'm curious how the humidity control soil would work if it were transferred to the tank. Does that gel cause any problems?

Salty
When I remove plants from the emersed boxes and prep them for submersed growth, I rinse the plant/roots and remove all of the soil. As far as the humidity control soil, I am using a very small amount and wonder if it's doing anything at all. (no quantifiable proof)

#13 ·
Nice setup bitFUUL. It seems like a great way to go to be able to create a beautiful tank with full plants.

When it comes time to plant these in your tank, will you remove each plant by the roots, or will you transfer some of the medium they are growing in to your tank? I'm curious how the humidity control soil would work if it were transferred to the tank. Does that gel cause any problems?

Salty

#18 ·
Nice set up man.. If I ever organize my garage I have plenty of room for something like this. My concern has always been the affect of the fumes from the autos and how it would possibly get into the plants. Not that my cars are oozing fuels and other nasty stuff but the presence is always there. I do have an area in my backyard on the side of the house I can turn into a greenhouse though.

#20 ·
Thanks demon. I've tried growing outside but everything turned to green mush, I had trouble with heat control. The garage is working perfect, and anytime we pull a hot car in the garage, we keep the door open for a bit to vent out. Plus, garage is the most humid place in my house.
I was thinking about this same issue on my way back home last night. I already have the habit of leaving the garage door opened for a while to vent out fumes, so it should work out for me.

Between your emersed setup and Aquacentral's garage setup I have all the insipiration I need. :biggrin:

#19 ·
Thanks demon. I've tried growing outside but everything turned to green mush, I had trouble with heat control. The garage is working perfect, and anytime we pull a hot car in the garage, we keep the door open for a bit to vent out. Plus, garage is the most humid place in my house.

#28 ·
It has been a few months now and most everything is doing well. It's a learning process to understand each plant individually, but it's very interesting too.
Since everything is doing well, I've just placed an order for a few more plants:

• Sword 'Narrow Leaf Chain' (Echinorodus tenellus)
  • Four Leaf Clover Dwarf - Marsilea hirsuta
  • Glossostigma (Glossostigma elatinoides)
  • Cryptocoryne, Wendtii, Bronze (Cryptocoryne wendtii v. Tropica)
  • Hygrophila Pinnatifida
  • Green Temple Narrow Leaf (Hygro Corymbosa 'Siamensis')
  • Green Temple (Hygrophilia corymbosa)
  • Cryptocoryne Parva
  • Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica) (for a tank)

Should be great! Will take pics after they're planted.

#30 ·
I use whatever soil is available in my garage at the time. Sometimes it's a mix of peat soil and some regular organic growing soil.
The boxes are covered with the plastic covers they came with, and a single hole is drilled in the center of each lid to provide air transfer.
I usually check on the plants everyday, lifting the lids to inspect them, and spraying depending on their needs.
Best of luck, go for it, it's always nice having fresh plants on stock for whatever crazy tank project idea you get!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.