Longshot's Tank...or This Tank is a Longshot - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 12
Longshot's Tank...or This Tank is a Longshot

Setup the tank 3 days ago with the following:

-55 gallon tank
-Marineland Magnum 350 Canister
-2-3 inches of MTS (<--what a pain in the ass but hopefully worth it!)
-2 inches of Eco-Complete as a cap
-Standard 300W heater
-48 inch T5HO with 1 6700K and 1 10000K, suspended 12 inches above the water.
-Large piece of driftwood, boiled for 30 mins.
-3 various size rocks (from LPS)

I bought various plants from a few different LPS, one a chain, one a local. I confess the one's I bought from the local are unknown to me, the girl working there just recommended them because they were "hardy". So far they look great.

I honestly am not sure of the type of plants these are and would appreciate anyone who could clue me in. I'll pay more attention next time .






I plan on adding more plants, mainly more middle ground and possibly some carpet, but I want to make sure the "hardy" plants make it first before sinking $$ into more plants.

I am dosing Excel every other day for now, soon I plan to upgrade to a CO2 direct inject through the Magnum 350, as I've heard nothing but good things about that. I originally had the lights on for 14 hours, but have since reduced that to 8 per reading on this forum. I am still a bit puzzled by the shortness of needed light, supposedly my lights are very strong. Some of the plants seem to relish the long light, others seem to shy away. Feel free to chime in if you have more experience with this.

I am keeping the water at 74 degrees, and today removed my polishing filter and replaced it with a floss wrapped canister and ceramic bio-rings inside.

PH out of the tap is 8.5, but only after 3 days the tank water is 7.5. Hoping that driftwood is doing that, as it seems like an extreme drop in a short time, a welcome surprise though!

Ammonia is roughly .5-.75ppm, nitrates and nitrites are non-existent. Looking forward to those bio-rings pumping out some bacteria soon.

I plan on getting fish after 2 weeks of tank cycling, or when ammonia is close to zero, whichever comes first. Haven't decided on fish, I have been reading some articles about Siamese Algae Eaters, as well as different "levels" fish swim on and how to match them up accordingly.

All in all just sitting on my hands trying to monitor everything accordingly, any suggestions/constructive criticism would be appreciated.

I must say never has something so slow and meticulous been so enjoyable!

**edit - Background is nothing at the moment, forgive the ugly outlet. I'll post full size pics of the tank once I finish the background.
Longshot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
2in10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Setup the tank 3 days ago with the following:

-55 gallon tank
-Marineland Magnum 350 Canister
-2-3 inches of MTS (<--what a pain in the ass but hopefully worth it!)
-2 inches of Eco-Complete as a cap
-Standard 300W heater
-48 inch T5HO with 1 6700K and 1 10000K, suspended 12 inches above the water.
-Large piece of driftwood, boiled for 30 mins.
-3 various size rocks (from LPS)

I bought various plants from a few different LPS, one a chain, one a local. I confess the one's I bought from the local are unknown to me, the girl working there just recommended them because they were "hardy". So far they look great.

I honestly am not sure of the type of plants these are and would appreciate anyone who could clue me in. I'll pay more attention next time .






I plan on adding more plants, mainly more middle ground and possibly some carpet, but I want to make sure the "hardy" plants make it first before sinking $$ into more plants.

I am dosing Excel every other day for now, soon I plan to upgrade to a CO2 direct inject through the Magnum 350, as I've heard nothing but good things about that. I originally had the lights on for 14 hours, but have since reduced that to 8 per reading on this forum. I am still a bit puzzled by the shortness of needed light, supposedly my lights are very strong. Some of the plants seem to relish the long light, others seem to shy away. Feel free to chime in if you have more experience with this.

I am keeping the water at 74 degrees, and today removed my polishing filter and replaced it with a floss wrapped canister and ceramic bio-rings inside.

PH out of the tap is 8.5, but only after 3 days the tank water is 7.5. Hoping that driftwood is doing that, as it seems like an extreme drop in a short time, a welcome surprise though!

Ammonia is roughly .5-.75ppm, nitrates and nitrites are non-existent. Looking forward to those bio-rings pumping out some bacteria soon.

I plan on getting fish after 2 weeks of tank cycling, or when ammonia is close to zero, whichever comes first. Haven't decided on fish, I have been reading some articles about Siamese Algae Eaters, as well as different "levels" fish swim on and how to match them up accordingly.

All in all just sitting on my hands trying to monitor everything accordingly, any suggestions/constructive criticism would be appreciated.

I must say never has something so slow and meticulous been so enjoyable!

**edit - Background is nothing at the moment, forgive the ugly outlet. I'll post full size pics of the tank once I finish the background.
The first pic is Cabomba in the back left, Anubias in the front left. If you but the rhizome in the substrate is will rot so pull in out of the substrate. In the center are 2 different Amazon sword species and Wisteria in the back right.

Second pic has Hygrophila in the front and Amazon swords and Cabomba in back.

The Cabomba is the only one that might have problems in my experience. The rest are good hardy beginner plants.
2in10 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 3,365
I agree with you 2in10.
GMYukonon24s is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 12
2in10: Thanks a lot. You looked to be giving good advice about something but I couldn't grasp the sentence, can you clarify what you mean by

" If you but the rhizome in the substrate is will rot so pull in out of the substrate"

Thanks
Longshot is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 12
I started this tank with a large branch of wood I bought that when placed vertically it resembled a dead tree. Pretty cool.

It stood up fine when the tank was empty but floated once I filled the tank bringing soild and substrate all over the place, so I ditched it.

After looking around some I may want to try to use it if I can somehow keep it down. I'm soaking it now trying to waterlog it, any other suggestions? Am I SOL on putting it in because it will mess up the substrate/expose the MTS? The diameter of this thing is probably 3 inches and it is cut at a slant, typical of a quick machine cut.

Broke my heart when I planted without it, thanks for any advice.
Longshot is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
CatB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,018
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
2in10: Thanks a lot. You looked to be giving good advice about something but I couldn't grasp the sentence, can you clarify what you mean by

" If you but the rhizome in the substrate is will rot so pull in out of the substrate"

Thanks
the rhizome is the big green rooty thing at the bottom of the anubias plant (bottom left in this picture)

it rots when buried in substrate, so pull it out and tie it to something or let it sit on top of the substrate.
CatB is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
CatB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,018
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
I started this tank with a large branch of wood I bought that when placed vertically it resembled a dead tree. Pretty cool.

It stood up fine when the tank was empty but floated once I filled the tank bringing soild and substrate all over the place, so I ditched it.

After looking around some I may want to try to use it if I can somehow keep it down. I'm soaking it now trying to waterlog it, any other suggestions? Am I SOL on putting it in because it will mess up the substrate/expose the MTS? The diameter of this thing is probably 3 inches and it is cut at a slant, typical of a quick machine cut.

Broke my heart when I planted without it, thanks for any advice.
screw it or silicone it to a piece of slate, which you can then set on top of or bury in the substrate.
CatB is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 6
It means dont put the roots in the substrate, anubias usually go attached to rocks or driftwood, never planted on the ground.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
elcabezas is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
screw it or silicone it to a piece of slate, which you can then set on top of or bury in the substrate.
Any guesses of a size of a piece of slate? Large branch, and more surface area near the top.

Moved the anubias, tried to keep as much of it as I could above ground. I can't seem to find a good place for them wherever I put them, so on the other piece of driftwood may be the spot I've been looking for. Not sure how I would attach them to the piece of driftwood I have in there now without disturbing the substrate, guess there is only one way to find out and just pick it up. I read bread bag twist ties work well to attach plants to rocks and wood, any objections would be appreciated before I try it.

Pics coming after the move.

Thanks everyone.
Longshot is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 12
Used rubber bands instead, waiting for the tank to clear up, I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Lighting : 8 hours
Dosed: 1 capful of Excel
Longshot is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 12
Added dwarf hairgrass today, picked it up on a lark at the Petsmart next to the Home Depot I was at getting suction cups that I'll be attaching via gorilla glue to the tree-like driftwood I've been trying to add.

I have no idea how it will affect the aesthetics, but ultimately the plants I have around it will block out the back of the tank surrounding the "tree". That's my hope anyway.

I took some pictures that were so-so due to cloudy water from some readjusting I did (again) while planting the hairgrass. I am very excited to see the hairgrass blanket the substrate, however I wonder if the way I planted it will be an issue, any thoughts? People on here talked about how planting it for them took 3 hours, it took me 5 minutes. We'll see, something tells me I'm in for spotty lawn. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The "tree" will be going in the left/middle where there is a clear center between the plants, it's as tall as the tank and half as wide.



I may up the light to 10 hours for the grass to really dig in, need to read more about it.

No dosing today.
Longshot is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome