Aaron's 1.5g Shrimp Cube Experiment - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Aaron's 1.5g Shrimp Cube Experiment

Long story short: in its past life, this Tetra brand plastic 1.5g cube was an emergency QT for an X-ray Tetra. But in the long run, thatís no good, of course. So, behold, in all its unflattering plasticness, the 1.5g budget shrimp cube. . .

We picked up five ghost shrimp as sort of a fun experiment. We've had them for three or four weeks; each seemed small when we got them, save one with a green saddle. Theyíve all molted, the gal that came saddled is now buried and the others seem to be getting bigger slowly.

Iím new to shrimp and have an interest in Cherries Ė so Iím doing my homework slowly but surely. Meanwhile, Iím keeping it super simple with this one. Just about everything inside was grabbed from an established 29g:

-1/4" PFS sand
-floating: anacharis and three, literally, DWLs
-x-mas moss (attached to Manzanita bits, slate)
-java moss
-no filter (removed the stock Tetra internal that came with the cube because it vibrated the cube just right enough to eventually irk me to no end)

I just got a KH/GH test kit (API liquid) and I'm getting interesting results Ė interesting to me anyway. I welcome your input. (I have a TDS meter on the way.)

Home tap water is a little hard, with high nitrates (20+ppm): 11-12dkh, 9-10dgh, pH 7.4
Work tap Iíve been using because of the minimal nitrates (0-5ppm): 3dkh, 3dgh, pH 7.4
Shrimp cube: 3-4dkh, 4-5dgh, pH 7.0 (can two small pieces of Manzanita account for the pH drop?), nitrates 10ppm (ammonia/nitrite = 0ppm)

It just occurred to me that I havenít checked the GH/KH test kit against distilled water or such; itís a new kit, one bottle is dated 1/2017, the other 10/2014.

Finally some pictures, newer and older:

(A few weeks ago)

Recent "FTS" - Kitchen view

Dining Room view

Thanks for looking.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Twain
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
Very cool! I bought the same little tank to hold a sick betta someone gave me till he was well enough to be moved to a real sized tank.

I also threw that stupid filter out right away and took the base, rim and lights off to expose the cube itself, quite nice like that.

I'm about to set mine up again as a RCS tank, so your post helps out a lot.

-20 gallon Planted Tank. -Retired.
-45 Gallon Planted Tank.
-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
-Davey the Bearded dragon.
-Couple little rescue lap dogs: Boots and Teddy.
-2 Holland lop house rabbits- Percy and Pippen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode