After seeing the trouble my Corys were having with the rough substrate in my 25 I decided the easiest way to switch it out was to start over with a new tank, darn.
Top Fin 50 gallon
Free! Given to us by someone who didn't want it along with an old 75 gallon that I'm trying to get rid of. (needs new braces and the silicone could use to be re done.)
Fluval 206 canister with a DIY spraybar. A little small for the tank but I already had it and didn't want to drop a ton of money on this new set up right now. I don't have much livestock and I can always throw a sponge filter in if needed.
2 18" 8000k T8s that came in the cheap hoods with the tank for now.
Quikrete commercial grade medium sand, about half the 100 lb. bag
11 Emerald Eye Rasboras, 11 Pork Chop Rasbora (Trigonostigma espei), 4 Corydoras habrosus, 3 Otocinclus arnoldi, 4 Amano shrimp, 1 Bamboo shrimp, 4 Japanese Trapdoor Snails, and 100+ MTS. Now that I've got more room I plan on getting a few more Corys and Otos to make them more comfortable.
Anubias (a couple different kinds, barteri and generic Petsmart), Java Fern, Java Fern windelov, Aponogeton boivinianus, Water Sprite, Brazilian Pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala), Ludwigia Peruensis (Ludwigia glandulosa), Rotala wallichii (Rotala sp. 'wallichii'), Red Ludwigia (Ludwigia repens),
mystery Crypt, and a barely living Myriophyllum that hopefully will pull through.
And now for the pics!
Painting the stand
Painting the back of the tank
Regular ol' black semi gloss latex rolled on
1/2" PVC, I ended up not using the gray connector, just slipped the stock rubber adapter over the threaded elbow
I drilled 17 2/16" inch holes about 1/2" apart at alternating heights, held to the glass with suction cups from the heater I'm not using
Filthy Anubias from the shrimp free betta tank BEFORE
And then after the Amanos and Otos got to it:
And FINALLY, FTS as of the first scape on 6/13/2012
The emptyish area on the right is a work in progress
There is also a video right after initial set up kinda showing the water flow with the DIY spraybar: http://youtu.be/26r7AP1twgE