The 120-P Reader - Pictures Included (56KWarning) - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Overdosing excel, not by much 2x will take care of that algae along with dialing in your co2, I just recently had a good fight with it on my manten stones, mine also started getting on the plants, but it's clean now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to styxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
Overdosing excel, not by much 2x will take care of that algae along with dialing in your co2, I just recently had a good fight with it on my manten stones, mine also started getting on the plants, but it's clean now
Not to thread-jack, but how long was this "fight" fplata? Did you have to 2x dose it for just one day? Or did this take some time? My Seiryu stone and I are having a constant algae battle (and I think I'm losing)...
post #123 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

this is a great tank! i like that algae! you should send me some :P
post #124 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
Well. I guess there's a first time for everything, lol.
post #125 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
Not to thread-jack, but how long was this "fight" fplata? Did you have to 2x dose it for just one day? Or did this take some time? My Seiryu stone and I are having a constant algae battle (and I think I'm losing)...
about 6 days, i started slow and worked my way up to about 12 ML a day, it does a number of riccia and moss, so be aware of that, however it did not harm my shrimp.
post #126 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
you do not want "none of that" the stuff could spread to your plants and you are in for a treat.
post #127 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
you do not want "none of that" the stuff could spread to your plants and you are in for a treat.
Lol too bad. Because its really cool
post #128 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
about 6 days, i started slow and worked my way up to about 12 ML a day, it does a number of riccia and moss, so be aware of that, however it did not harm my shrimp.
Ok, awesome. Thanks!
post #129 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fplata is right- this stuff be nasty.

Thanks for the tips! For now, I'm trying to stabilize it. Then I'll zap it and do a bunch of water changes. Hopefully that will do the job. I'll try the Excel treatment, as H202 didn't really do a lot.

Actually, it did, but my CO2 was wonky so it didn't last. I suppose I could try to be more accurate.
post #130 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

my fights lasted two weeks + here is what I did

first week i started with acclimatization of the shrimp (i have anout 300 of them, rilli, PFRs, Amano, etc) to the exell, i started at 1/2 and worked my self up to almost 3x, watch your shrimp. once i was at almost 3x, i started water changes daily with the first water change being so large that exposed most of my rocks and allowed me the chance the brush 3% h2o2 on to the affected areas. i was dosing full ADA, which i noticed lacked no3 and po4, I then brought up my po4 to .8ppm and my no3 to 2ppm (iam at 1.2 PPM of po4 and 3 PPM of no3 with a 60% WC every 5 days) I applied phiton git everyday @ 1 drop per 5L it took 14 days for the rocks to get fully cleaned, i only applied H202 1 time. i did not mess with the photo period at all. now my co2 is at a level where i can not count the bubbles sat 16 bps (i dont know) and the algae has been pretty much dormant, i have a strong ripple on the surface, i know i am probably degassing CO2, but i am doing everything possible to keep my beneficial bacteria thriving. I also used a carbon media (30% of my canister was carbon, the remainder biological) I am now back to 100% bio
post #131 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds like you have the process down - at the core, treating any algae is the same game: return the balance, and then eliminate the stragglers.

For my algae outbreak, I was misdiagnosing what the algae was (I had never seen a clado outbreak before, so I didn't recognize it until it was pointed out to me), so my attempts to bring it back to balance were hindered and tended to make things worse. As soon as I identified it properly, I was able to correct the imbalance (CO2) and start cleanup. Now, I have hit it with H2O2 and Excel and most is dead or dying. Now come regular water changes to evacuate the dead plant/algae matter so it doesn't turn into a different algae issue.
post #132 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
my fights lasted two weeks + here is what I did

first week i started with acclimatization of the shrimp (i have anout 300 of them, rilli, PFRs, Amano, etc) to the exell, i started at 1/2 and worked my self up to almost 3x, watch your shrimp. once i was at almost 3x, i started water changes daily with the first water change being so large that exposed most of my rocks and allowed me the chance the brush 3% h2o2 on to the affected areas. i was dosing full ADA, which i noticed lacked no3 and po4, I then brought up my po4 to .8ppm and my no3 to 2ppm (iam at 1.2 PPM of po4 and 3 PPM of no3 with a 60% WC every 5 days) I applied phiton git everyday @ 1 drop per 5L it took 14 days for the rocks to get fully cleaned, i only applied H202 1 time. i did not mess with the photo period at all. now my co2 is at a level where i can not count the bubbles sat 16 bps (i dont know) and the algae has been pretty much dormant, i have a strong ripple on the surface, i know i am probably degassing CO2, but i am doing everything possible to keep my beneficial bacteria thriving. I also used a carbon media (30% of my canister was carbon, the remainder biological) I am now back to 100% bio
Yes, this is similar to what I have been doing, following your schedule. I'm now a little more than 1/2 way through the Excel regimen. I did notice one otto freaking out last night when I accidentally turned on the lights (which usually never happens) so I might do a little water change today just in case. Nevertheless, I did a very strong bleach-to-water (1:6) dip of all my stone and anubias (the plants were in there for about a minute to 2 minutes tops) along with a vigorous Oral-B brushing, lol. Everything survived and came out beautifully, though I left the stones in and scrubbed them for about 5 or 6 minutes. Subsequently, I too have had my CO2 very high, I would say around no more than 6pbs, but I also have a mild surface current. In a 48 G tank that currently holds probably 42G of water (displaced substrate and stone) I only have 5 ottos, 1 loach and 5/6 Amanos so I'm not to worried about the CO2 issue ATM. So far, so good and with addition of more plants, I think the algae is going to be history (or at least that's what I'm hoping, lol).
post #133 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
Sounds like you have the process down - at the core, treating any algae is the same game: return the balance, and then eliminate the stragglers.

For my algae outbreak, I was misdiagnosing what the algae was (I had never seen a clado outbreak before, so I didn't recognize it until it was pointed out to me), so my attempts to bring it back to balance were hindered and tended to make things worse. As soon as I identified it properly, I was able to correct the imbalance (CO2) and start cleanup. Now, I have hit it with H2O2 and Excel and most is dead or dying. Now come regular water changes to evacuate the dead plant/algae matter so it doesn't turn into a different algae issue.
I think with the larger aquariums that you and fplata have, it may be more difficult to get a handle on the algae issue because the volume of water is so much higher, and thus the remedies must also be proportional to the higher volume. But that's just my guess, either way, I have had fairly great success following the same process and would advise you to try it out and see what happens. As always YMMV...
post #134 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually think that the size of these bigger tanks makes us (me) feel like we (I) need more light than we (I) actually do. Plus maintenance just takes a bit longer, but I actually enjoy that part. I am always surprised at how little light I truly need to do what I want. And it takes a bit of wrestling to get there still.

Balance-wise, I have no trouble with my Do!Aqua "10-gallon" (I don't remember the size, but its exactly the same as a standard 10). I have always been able to set and forget that one.
post #135 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

By the way the Amanos won't touch the older stuff, I had 200 of them now I have 160 and 40 on my 60p where they keep the hair algae none existent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode