The 120-P Reader - Pictures Included (56KWarning) - Page 10 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to styxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
By the way the Amanos won't touch the older stuff, I had 200 of them now I have 160 and 40 on my 60p where they keep the hair algae none existent
Hmm...I might have to up my Amano count, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know a dude that has them for 1.50 each, shipped. Pm me if you want his contact
post #138 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So it's been a while since my last pic update. The clado went bonkers and pretty much buried everything until I got my CO2 sorted out. Trims, water changes, water changes, water changes, and some Excel and H2O2 treatments brought us here. Still not super but much better. Everything has been trimmed so its a little barren-looking at the moment, but when it grows back in it should be nice and pretty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349636840.477162.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	54964

H2O2 works much better against the clado than Excel, which hardly touched it. The key has been heavy CO2 dosing. My reg is at 38-40 psi for 2 diffusers: an atomic diffuser an an atomic in-line diffuser.

I had been using mineral oil in my bubble counters but after much trouble with leaking, infiltration to my diffusers, etc., I replace it with water. More trouble than its worth. Unless I can find a super reliable bubble counter with a double check valve, I'm sticking with this:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349637488.961553.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	54965

I'm beginning to believe that all of my issues (past and present) have been connected to CO2 imbalances. I browse through my journals, and reassess what was happening (plus what wasn't written), and I see consistent CO2 related issues. This isn't from any particular resistance in my part to acknowledge it, but more due to trying to find shortcuts to a simple problem. I'll try not to do that anymore. The issue has been keeping my reg pushing enough CO2 to keep a steady pressure and CO2 level. Also equipment maintenance. Sometimes you just have to do the nasty.

Next month, I'm going to pick up about 100 Amanos. After all of my issues, I currently only have 1 survivor. This was due to a nitrite spike that took me by surprise a couple weeks ago. Very frustrating. I had been overdosing ferts to an insane degree, and the Amanos suffered for it. Currently, I'm back on PPS, and it is working much better for me.
post #139 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's 'funny' that you mention CO2, because mine just ran out, damn it! 100 Amanos, wow! Are you sure that you need that many - mean I know you have a 120, but isn't that overkill? Believe me when I say that they will grow very large and AFAIK their appetites never decrease, lol. Well if you do, we want some pics of that Amano...swarm? What's a collection of shrimp named, lol? Good to hear that you've narrowed the cause to the CO2. I've found over the years that having reliable, consistent CO2 is of paramount importance in a high light aquarium and there is no substitute for it.
post #140 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks like the clado has slowed considerably! I can see parts of my rocks again, haha... I'm making progress after all. This is a very good thing. Progress, however, is not perfection. Still attacking with H2O2, trimming aggressively, and dosing regularly. The return to PPS has taken a load of confusion off. This is much more manageable now. Guess I'll just be sticking with it
post #141 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Glad to hear the improvements!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
post #142 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Clado is gone after a lengthy battle (won in the end by diligence and lots of water changes). Now to repair and regrow. I planted some HC and glosso a well as some ludwigia to color things up a bit. I moved the hydrocotyle to the mid ground where it belongs, and everything is super trimmed. I also picked up an Eheim 2217 and it is cycling right now. Eventually I may pick up another and go dual on this. I really like the flow I'm getting with it. About double that if my old Renas. Everything is looking up finally!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352078942.655865.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	56515
post #143 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome, so how often a and how large where those water changes
post #144 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I started with two big ones (90% or so) in one week after spot dosing around 150ml of H2O2 on the clado. It was sizzling for about 15 minutes before I started the water change. I then trimmed the crap out of everything - often down to the very substrate - just to get rid of as much as I could. Then I'd give it a day off, then hit it again. I did one more big one on the next Sunday, again trimming ruthlessly, and repeated it the next week. Then I cranked up the CO2 and lowered my lights a bit. After that it was a slow (2 weeks) retreat. This stuff is a pain, but it is possible to get rid of, once you identify the cause. Mine was a series of issues with my CO2 system that were causing unstable levels. No BBA, oddly enough.

The big issue now is my LED fixture is out of commission while I wait for a new driver, so I'm back to my T5HO's. Good thing I hadn't sold them like I had intended.
post #145 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

great tank, it is very serene.
post #146 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, Green_flash! Someday I hope to have time to enjoy it, but my show opens Friday, so it's a little crazy right now!
post #147 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 AM
SCAPEr

post #148 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Nice
Thanks

By the way: Eheim 2217 FTW!

I have a 2211 on my small setup upstairs but this is just phenomenal. The flow I'm getting is soooooo much better! I love my Renas - they've been good to me - but this is kind of impressive. Eventually I'll pick up a super jet, but this will do in the meantime

New plants settling in happily.
post #149 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. No die-back, plants transitioning nicely, tank is virtually algae-free. Lovin it!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352577796.373840.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	56859
post #150 of 211 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352664786.756939.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	56915

Here is a much better shot. Still just an iPhone pic, but I cleaned my pipes and did a trim/water change. This really shows why I got an ADA tank. Now, I can't wait to see this grow in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode