10g impulse build - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
10g impulse build

found a decent 10 gallon at goodwill for 10$ that also had 2 big filters in it, along with random parts and foods. so, i decided to give it a new home and turn it into a planted tank.

using miracle grow organic, chicken version (not cow poop version) covered by fine white sand. rinsed out the dirt, removed the floaties, rinsed out the sand.

im going with about an inch of dirt with an inch of sand. may add more sand in the future, but for now it looks great and there is tons of real estate.

am contemplating tearing down my 5 gallon and moving its hosts to this tank. probably wont transplant my crypts though, as i dont want them melting again (they just started to sprout new nubs and leaves). so, just the anacharis (did i spell that right?) and foxtail it looks like.

im rambling and need to go to the store... need a canopy! will post pix when i get back

The Fraternity of Dirt #82
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

5.5gallon betta tank - possibly getting torn down
10 gallon - work in progress (6/7/2012)
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
We used organic miracle gro in our 10g too. Very happy with it despite the efforts of rinsing and removal of floating debris, plus several water changes after adding to tank. The task would have probably been less grueling if we soaked our dirt longer . How long did you soak yours for?

Also, does your betta have tankfriends?

Posts some pictures!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode