Superluminal's 15G Riparium - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 139
Superluminal's 15G Riparium

Just started a riparium.

Tank: 15G High
Substrate: Pool Sand/Gravel
Planter Substrate: Hydroton Pebbles/Gravel Cap
Lighting: 2 Home Depot Lamps - 26W 6500K bulbs each
Filter: Modified Eheim 2213
Fauna: 8 Indian Whisker Shrimp, 4 Endlers (males), 1 Guppy (male), 4 Leftover Neons
Flora: Peace Lily, Nerve Plant, Purple Queen

Currently I have some garden plants I've thrown in. I've put plants in that I've seen in other riparium threads. I haven't scaped the bottom yet. I have some driftwood, currently waterlogging, waiting to go it.

I'm new to the riparium scene. I've done some research, but I'm still a newb. Hopefully this doesn't fail horribly. Some of you riparium guys need to get in here and give me some guidance.

YouTube Video - 15G Riparium


Last edited by Superluminal; 08-06-2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: .
Superluminal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 139
New pics posted. Enjoy!
Superluminal is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
2in10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 2,585
Very nice looking selection of plants, great leaf and color variety.
2in10 is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
izabella87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: montreal,canada
Posts: 732
gorgeous!

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Enshacra87
Instagram @ Enshacra87
izabella87 is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 139
I have some frogbit on the way for the foreground/water cover. I might get some trellis rafters as well to add a few small plants in front of the large ones. I'll keep updates going periodically.
Superluminal is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 9,658
That looks pretty good so far. Most of those are good plant choices, although you might find the 'African Mask' Alocasia to flake out after a time. The Fittonia works best planted on a trellis raft. Do you have fish for this setup?
hydrophyte is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
That looks pretty good so far. Most of those are good plant choices, although you might find the 'African Mask' Alocasia to flake out after a time. The Fittonia works best planted on a trellis raft. Do you have fish for this setup?
Why does the African Mask flake out? Is it because of the wet condition or lack of proper substrate? Is there anything, about that size, that you recommend I substitute the plant with if it takes a turn for the worst?

Also why does the fittonia need rafters? Is it because the plants roots are sensitive? I plan to get those from you regardless.

As for the fish (mostly leftover specimens):

Fauna: 8 Indian Whisker Shrimp, 4 Endlers (males), 1 Guppy (male), 4 Leftover Neons
Superluminal is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 139
My two aquariums together:


Last edited by Superluminal; 06-14-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Superluminal is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 9,658
That looks like a very good lighting solution for a small riparium--cheap but effective.

I grew 'African Mask' once and it rooted well in the planter, but after a few months it died all at once. I understand that it has an obligate dormancy requirement and if it is too wet as it tries to go dormant the tuber will just start to rot.

I think that Fittonia is not a real water plant. I tried it once and it did not root very well in a riparium planter. It does OK however if just rooted in the water on a trellis raft. Oxygen is more available in the open water than in saturated gravel.
hydrophyte is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 9,658
I found an old post by Hoppy with Fittonia that he had on a trellis raft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post

It is a spectacular success, as is the small plant to the right of it. Both are very healthy, growing slowly, and beautiful. Perfect riparium mid-ground, raft planted plants.



The slight violet color is from my GE9325K light - I forgot to color correct this.
hydrophyte is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
That looks like a very good lighting solution for a small riparium--cheap but effective.

I grew 'African Mask' once and it rooted well in the planter, but after a few months it died all at once. I understand that it has an obligate dormancy requirement and if it is too wet as it tries to go dormant the tuber will just start to rot.

I think that Fittonia is not a real water plant. I tried it once and it did not root very well in a riparium planter. It does OK however if just rooted in the water on a trellis raft. Oxygen is more available in the open water than in saturated gravel.
Can you list me some plants that might do well? I'd rather not do another peace lily to replace the Masks. Is there another type of "elephant ear" or semi-tall plant that does well?

Also, in Hoppy's photo what is the plant to the right of the fittonia?
Superluminal is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 139


Some floaters added...
Superluminal is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
izabella87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: montreal,canada
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
Why does the African Mask flake out? Is it because of the wet condition or lack of proper substrate? Is there anything, about that size, that you recommend I substitute the plant with if it takes a turn for the worst?

Also why does the fittonia need rafters? Is it because the plants roots are sensitive? I plan to get those from you regardless.

As for the fish (mostly leftover specimens):

Fauna: 8 Indian Whisker Shrimp, 4 Endlers (males), 1 Guppy (male), 4 Leftover Neons
Wawww.. our tanks are similar !! i got some endlers for my paludarium today also. set up looks somewhat similar

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Enshacra87
Instagram @ Enshacra87
izabella87 is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 139
New layout:







Superluminal is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 9,658
Real good plant choices in there! I like the Fittonia.
hydrophyte is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome