The Planted Tank Forum banner

Aweeby's Mini-S- Flooded and looking disastrous.

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 · (Edited)
I guess it's time to start a journal for this thing.

After an impromptu cross island bus journey, I acquired an almost complete ADA Mini-S setup for $100, from a member here who's moving away. It has become my dream tank. So I decided, hey, since I now own a setup that could've easily emptied my savings account had I bought it new, I really should invest an extra dollar or two and do it right. By right, I mean keeping the messy substitutes out of sight and minimal. I do love DIY, but this tank is so beautiful, even my could-care-less parents commented on it. It deserves better. Feast your eyes upon the loveliness.

Yeah, yeah. It's all the same stuff you've seen a million times before. But it's mine this time. that makes it 20x better.

So here are some stats:
Equipment:
Tank: ADA Mini-S
Filter: Zoomed 501
Lighting: Archaea PC 27W
CO2: Pressurized, first via full system, then via PB, jaggedfury style
Glassware: nano drop checker, nano diffuser, 9mm Glass Lily pipes (knockoffs, but who's complaining, really-ADA doesn't even make 9mm)
Ferts: No idea. Probably a light EI though.

Hardscape
Soil: New Amazonia, Normal type, 3L
Stones: Seiryu
Wood: (?) Potentially manzanita twigs.

Plants
No idea.

Fish
No idea, but I know I'd want to live in this thing. :biggrin:

At this point, I really have no idea. I just have all the stuff and am itching to get started!

See less See more
#5 ·
I think i might actually use akadama for the substrate, since i won't need much. Maybe it's time to go return the aquasoil... hm. I wonder. I really should have a look at the stones I have and see if they'll work out with this layout. might have to go buy some. argh.

And for plants, it seems like the hairgrass i have is kind of short and is set on staying that way. So my ordering list is growing. meh.

#10 ·
Very nice! Your original post makes me laugh, because everything you are doing sounds like what I would do, or what would happen at my house. Keep it up, I'll be watching...

#11 ·
Thanks guys! And I know, I still am kind of in shock that I found such a great deal. You don't know how many hours I've spent just ogling it, even empty. Unfortunately, this tank remains that way because my 5.5g is a spoiled brat and demands my attention far too often for my taste.

I think I'm going to be starting the hardscape this weekend. but no plants until I get back from my trip, probably.

#15 ·

I think number one stays true to your original plan. You can you push in the stone on left so it's not so close to the glass? Also may be replace the phallic stone with the toad stone in pic #2. The plants should cover/hide either the phallic stone or the toad stone in time. You may also want to bring the stones on the right a little closer to the front. I like how you have that diagonal angle in your drawing. It give this little tank more depth. The scape looks a little flat in the picture... kind of like mines and I regret it.

I see you may have run into a similar problem that I had. The stones might be too big than what you have originally planned. I think you can pull it off. Don't look at it for a day or two and see what inspires you.

I wouldn't rush it too much. But may be you can enter it in the Aquascapes contest. I heard it's tentatively in October.

Cherrios!

#17 ·
lol, got to have my scaping tools. cheerios play a vital role in my sanity as i examine the same 5 rocks for hours on end. :hihi:

Yeah, I think 1 is less half baked than all the rest. I see what you mean about the diagonal adding depth. that's an excellent point. I think i'll move the center most left rock in front of the big one, it would keep the right side a little more dominant and accomplish the diagonal valley thing while trying to keep the rule of thirds. believe it or not, the pockets of soil actually do follow the rule of thirds, it's just that they hide it VERY well. Anyway, the only problem is that I was planning to put an erio as a little plant trophy in that nice little pocket there... oh well. mr erio is going to have to move house again. btw I love that you've named my stones. Toad stone is really square and i'm having trouble making it look like a centerpiece. it would be an amazing support stone in a larger tank, but I just don't have the room. Phallic stone has been rotated to the least offensive position, but it still looks... like it lives up[ to it's namesake. when you look at it head on, it's really really... weird looking.

i'm actually entering my 5.5g, because it's well past that bothersome stage where all you want to do is scream at it. I'm not sure if this guy will be ready and all. Are you entering your 12g?

#19 ·
kai where are you getting your stones from anyway? I just realized that you have a lot of support stones... whenever I've been to aquascapes, i only see bigger rocks, esp with the seiryu and etc.

I ended up just sticking with the scape you posted. The sand went down a LOT and the ugly plastic sheet protector I used is starting to show. I *tried* to plant it today, but for all the hype aquasoil gets about ease of planting, it's really not that easy to plant in. Maybe it's just me. After a while I just left everything to float and gave up. I guess I'll try planting the stems when the DHG takes in.

Question of the day!
Should I try to cut down the plastic barrier and leave it in?
Should I just add more sand?
Should I remove the plastic all together?

#20 ·
Hehe. I usually get them from Aquascapes and sometimes coral fish will have it. I usually go at least once a month just to see what they have.

As for the floating plants, I just use weights sometimes. Did you plant it first then fill the tank or was the tank already flooded? IMO, Aquasoil is easier to plant than that fluval stuff but flourite is still the easiest.

Good luck!

BTW. do you have pics of what the tank looks like with the plastic?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.