Fluval Edge foreground growth lacking - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Fluval Edge foreground growth lacking

OK, so I have a fluval edge. Already that is a huge challenge for many things. I have done DIY light mod, simply changed the bulbs for 2x LED 2.1W MR11s, and added 2x small LED bars which apparently have 3W each. It is literally all I can squeeze in the small compartment at the top of the Edge. So for a 6G tank, I have about 10Watts. I know it is not enough, but it is as far as I can go for it to be aesthetically pleasing to look at. I have a CO2 tank, and the diffuser is at the bottom of my filter! I tried everything to make it clean-looking.
For the substrate, it is a black gravel superior substrate (no idea if it is good enough for the plants, but the store did not seem to have anything else but normal rocks besides that).
I planted little grass-looking plant. I am not sure if it is lilaeopsis mauritiana, or micro-sword. But before I got the additional light bars, they had stem rot going on. I unplanted everything, cut out all rot from EVERY ROOT (i swear to god), and replanted them all dead-center under the light fixture.
I fertilize with the bottom of a Flourish Excel cap daily, and put about the same amount of FLOURISH except weekly and maintain PH toward the neutral (tends to naturally go towards 7.6 when I do a water change).
There seems to be some form of light-brown mossy looking residue (VERY SUBTLE) that seems to be forming on top of the grass, but they still look pretty good. Please help identify and tell me what on earth I am doing wrong.

Is the problem my gravel substrate? Is it the lack of light? (I have seen videos of people who claim their stock lighting was enough for plants if kept in middle of tank under lighting, and frankly, I probably have like 8 watts more than them)? Is it my fertilizers? Should I change how much I put? I heard some grass are more Root feeding and some have recommended tablets I think. Should I put that? Any input appreciated. I added 3 pics and can add more if you need more details.
oH and there are 2 shrimp in there too. Have had them for about a year.

Since posting this in plants section, I have added 2 flourish fert tabs near both ends of grass. I did this because I suspected the gravel substrate is probably not as good as flourite gravel or other. Ordered java ferns that I will probably attach to driftwood, and want to get one or 2 anubias that will also all be near the middle.

Any advice appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	48274  

Name:	tank 4.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	48275  

Name:	tank 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	48276  

Name:	tank 3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	48277  

Last edited by Yianni; 05-29-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode