The Spawning Pool-- 75g shallow square - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, a little update. Been pretty surprised about growth. The riparium plants have really started to take off the last couple weeks. The sword has shot up a foot and a half out of the water already and the taro plant leaves are bigger than my head!

Underwater, seems like all the root feeders are getting situated at last. I have runners everywhere from the dwarf sag and crypt spiralis. The spiralis is also out of control, starting to get long enough to form a canopy under surface. All the other crypts have gotten noticeably bushier.

The natural sunlight has been better than I imagined, really. No major algae outbreaks as I had hoped. I do a trim every week to get rid of the few leaves that do get a little bit of it to prevent it from spreading and at the same time this helps to keep the plants from getting leggy and they are responding by growing more horizontally instead.

Everyone is doing well, otos, rainbows, bush fish, endlers, snails. Shrimp are almost nowhere to be seen, mostly hunted down it seems, so I will have to refill within the next few weeks. I had the water level a little too high a couple weeks ago and lost about 5 male endlers from jumping, but the juvies are starting to show their sex already. Last count was around 10 males now, with many more females, so I still have more than I started with. It's crazy how fast these things reproduce.

Some pics included. Have a great rest of the weekend everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrenator View Post
Spectacular tank! Job well done. How long have you had it set up?
It's been set up about a month now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFu View Post
I've heard they won't breed in the presence of a predator, but otherwise, they'd probably breed in there if there was a little algae and detritus.

I've got them breeding fine in a 20H. I just leave the algae on the sides and back glass, run sponge filters, and overfeed a little. Current plants are java moss and hornwort.

Amazing tank you've got there.
I might have to try that some day, thanks. Last thing everyone needs is another tank right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Being View Post
What a wonderful and unique tank. I'd imagine it's quite the conversation starter with visitors.
Thanks, it is. Mainly I get, "Wow, that's a lot of plants."

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."

The Spawning Pool-- 75g shallow square DECOMMISSIONED

Three Worlds-- 4g triple sphere DECOMMISSIONED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

there are pumps in this tank? and filters? WHERE!?!?!? lol
really love this tank and the sustainable idea behind it. Especially with endless, as they are just pretty and I feel like they are hardier than guppies as well. Really digging the emergent thing too, this tank is like everything I would want to do if it wasn't for the fact that I have too many large jumpers and am not ballsy enough to do this :P

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/n7zp47m
My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/qyf7s5o
My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:http://tinyurl.com/p54uupj
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
post #33 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Planted Member

this is some monster of a project man hehe. looks awesome. really nice job on the DIY stand too.
post #34 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys. It works out pretty well because the wires and tubes are hidden within the emergent section (other than one of the powerheads).

And yeh speaking of being a monster, moving it up a flight of stairs and through a doorway was quite the task... It was much more difficult moving it than setting up the flora/fauna/equipment. Just a word of warning for anyone thinking about a square tank-- best prepare extra well because moving it is an entire project in itself. You'll need to be able to flip it vertically and horizontally in transit as needed and you definitely don't want to set it down and then pick it back up. And invest in a pair of gloves with grip because it's very easy to lose it considering how bulky it is! It's not really the weight that gets you (though it certainly doesn't help), but having to deal with maneuvering it because of the shape.

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."

post #35 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

This tank is absolutely stunning! I've got a ton of lil tanks going, but would trade them all in for something like this.
Simply amazing, I love it. Keep us posted.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g][2.1g] - [waterfall] [grow][pond]
post #36 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

very nicely done. could you post an updated full front shot?

thx

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #37 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What an incredible tank! Subscribed!

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
post #38 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #39 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow, amazing! Same tank as Tom's bucket of mud.

Where did you get the tank btw? Been hunting for a similar dimension.
post #40 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks again all, appreciate it.

The tank was custom made. I'm pretty sure if you want a square tank, you'll have to go the custom route. As far as I know, I don't know of any retail companies that make them.

Here's an update because I actually got my hands on some new fish this weekend, six Bedotia geayi (Madagascar Rainbowfish). Saw them at the LFS and just had to get them! I've watched them for a couple hours and they keep changing colors, so that's a pleasant surprise. Silver, iridescent blue, light orange, it's great.

Fish and plants are all doing well. The bushfish has gotten enormous since getting him. Now I know why I don't see anymore feeder shrimp these days... I am looking to heavily trim back the crypt spiralis one of these days again because they're getting out of control. Dwarf sag is carpeting well and everything else is growing slowly but steadily. No algae problems, very happy. I'm totally loving the just-add-water habits for this tank.

OK, so more pics and less words.

Hunter in stalking mode

I threw a banana plant into a corner a while ago and it shot up a pretty wicked lily pad.

Wheeee!

post #41 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow beautiful tank and beautiful fish! Love it
post #42 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post

Wheeee!
Lol awesome!
post #43 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 AM
Algae Grower

^ haha awesome pic there. Yeah this tank is really a showpiece. I really like the fish you stocked it with as well. Really great job with everything.

I used to have fish tanks. Now I have plant tanks.
post #44 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How are the emergent plants anchored into the water section? Did you make any sort of raft or are they just sitting there?

Mage - The other hobby
No planted tanks currently running (11/26/2014)
post #45 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The emergent plants are in pond planters that I attached to the sides of the tank with a little garden wire and tape. I also have some in hydrophyte's riparium planters that he offers for sale through this site.

Here's a shot from the other day for a 2-month update. I lost the canna and the lizard's tail over the summer. Replaced them with an arrowhead house plant. Everything else is going ok. They both just died off mysteriously towards the end of summer, not sure why. I am guessing they need outdoor light and they don't really do well after the growing season. Other than that, this tank never changes, and I like it for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode