The Planted Tank Forum banner

bitFUUL's 11.4g - HIGH TECH DIY - Rimless Reticulating Splines - Blyxa Tank!

30K views 103 replies 32 participants last post by  bitFUUL 
#1 · (Edited)
Current Setup
Tank: 11.4 Gallon Mr. Aqua
Filter: Eheim 2213
Lighting: Archaea 36w Clip-on Lamp - Modified with DIY LED solution

CO2: GLA Atomic Paintball CO2 Regulator V1
Diffuser: GLA Atomic Diffuser
Drop Checker: ADA Drop Checker
Bubble Counter: Atomic CO2 Bubble Counter - with Integrated Check Valve
Lily Pipes: Glass
Temperature Measure: GLA Glass Thermometer - 8mm

Substrate: Up Aqua Soil
Decor: Manzanita Driftwood

Plants:
Blyxa Japonica
Downoi
and a few stems

Any thoughts? :cool:

See less See more
1 5
#11 ·
My take is that that 2nd piece is too big, being half out... I know it heresy, but maybe cut it in half and bury the cut end.... seems like too much out too me. I have the double bright on a ten gallon and I like it, I do get a little spotlighting, but it gives great shadows that I can tweak by moving it forward and back... nice effects for me

#12 ·
Plants arrived today. 3 orders of HC from GLA in the foreground, 3 orders of Hairgrass Large in the back, and some Tropica 049 in the center.
The hairgrass was so large I had to cut it in half to fit it into this 12" tall tank.
Planted and flooded immediately, dosed some excel, and got the CO2 pumping at 3-4 bubbles per second; we'll see what happens.

#13 ·
So I don't like the Marineland LEDs, the dark patches are very obvious.
So I ordered the 36w Archaea Clip On Light, got rid of the Marineland LED, and setup something temp until the new light arrives.

You can see a big difference in light distribution between this standard T5 bulb and those LEDs.

#17 ·
Yup, it's not as light green as it should be, but I'm already at 2 bubbles per second on this 11.4 gallon tank. I'm thinking it's the water output, so I ordered an eheim outspout almost 2 weeks ago and I'm patiently waiting for it to arrive.

That light is a really nice PC light.
Thanks, I'm loving it so far too.

#18 ·
#19 ·
So the Hairgrass was pulled because it was quickly outgrowing the tank.
I purchased a GLA Atomic Diffuser, WOW, It's stunning! The bubbles are so much finer than my ADA one, and for a fraction of the price.
Dwarf Hairgrass was planted in the back left/right, and some Anubias nana petite in the very center.
The HC is slowly acclimating and should hopefully spread soon.

#33 ·
Do a google search for "Dazs J Shape Glass Tube Bend for Aquarium Co2 Diffuser".
Select the first link, it should be for a site about a "bay". :icon_roll
You'll find a good deal on there, I've ordered a few and love them!
You don't have to deal with bending/crimping of ugly piping.

Very dramatic shots :) Bad luck w/ HC in most of my tanks, have a feeling they'll thrive in here though

HAHA, thanks! I haven't had problems with HC growing, but it's keeping the algae out of it that's my challenge! We'll see how this goes..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.