Mythin's Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long (Flooded 9/13/2012!) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythin View Post
For the first few pictures I was using a 50mm 1.8 with a shutter speed of like 640, for the macro, its a 100mm 2.8f and i probably set the shutter speed to 200-300 range maybe higher, its hard to hold that sucker still on a long exposure.

Also, the light is a bit dimmer, its hard to tell in the pictures, but I started using a layer of parchment paper on the acrylic glass of the t5ho light, this diffuses the light and the reflectors. And there is no risk of burning since parchment paper goes into ovens and doesnt burn. My plants WERE burning/yellowing before i did this. After I did this, i got to see a lot of good horizontal growth, and no yellowing.

I just ordered 2 new giesmann bulbs for this fixture though, the aquaflora and midday 6800k, both of those should really help with growth. These cheap oddesea fixtures are nice, but the bulbs they ship with just promote algae growth once flooded. Hoping this will both speed up the dsm time AND i should have less algae issues once i flood. I plan on making a hanging light out of it doing the bent conduit piping thing.
Cool! I have both of those lenses. Are you still using the xt? I still have mine and loved using it day light. The camera's now days try to cram too many megapixels into their sensors except for full frame ones.

I may also pick up a T5HO one of these days... Maybe. Keep up the good work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Love the rock work. Great proportion to tank size.
post #33 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

nice scape, and very nice growth, prime example of DSM. I love seiryu stone, and HC and UG are my two favorite plants, I'll be watching this.

Last edited by CmLaracy; 07-10-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: mispelling
post #34 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
god looking at all these long 12 gallons makes me drool to buy one.. I'm seriously jealous of you...
haha, reading the 12g long thread pretty much made me have to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
Cool! I have both of those lenses. Are you still using the xt? I still have mine and loved using it day light. The camera's now days try to cram too many megapixels into their sensors except for full frame ones.

I may also pick up a T5HO one of these days... Maybe. Keep up the good work!
yeah trusty old rebel xt ive had for years, ive thought about upgrading before, but then i think about it and its like why, this thing takes some perfectly good pictures, and the lenses are really what make the difference.
post #35 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Planted Member

What does this Brightwell Substrate buffer your water parameters to?
post #36 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I havent flooded this tank yet, but in my other tank with CRS it buffered down to 6.2ish using R/O. I re-mineralize with fluval shrimp mineral, lots of happy CRS in that tank, prl and benibachi prl.
post #37 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Time for some updats 7/28/12:

added a few nodes of Lilaeopsis nova 'mini to the UG/dhg belem lawn on the rocky side. Should be an interesting and hopefully natural looking mix once it grows in, with the UG being the majority of the grass. Progress is slow but steady, i could probably flood it really soon if I wanted, but I like how it looks with out water at the moment. Got a bunch of rotala mexicana goias thats going to be behind the right back rock. But I will wait until I flood to plant those in there, they didnt seem to do too well emergent.

GLASS ART likes this.
post #38 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Uber Nice

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #39 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 06:37 AM
Planted Member

Great looking tank! All of these 12 gal longs are starting to wear on me... I've began looking around my place for a spot to put one....
post #40 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 AM
SCAPEr

post #41 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its really hard to notice progress when you look at it every day, but its definitely easier to see in a series of pictures.

Now I have noticed some BGA or some other kind of mushy blackish colored algae growing where my initial plantings had melted. I dont know how to get rid of this stuff prior to flooding in a few weeks. I tried to manually remove as much as i could with tweezers, but some of it is wrapped around the grains of substrate. I am gonna try some excel in my misting bottle and see if that helps, if not i may go get some antibiotics for it.
post #42 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythin View Post

Its really hard to notice progress when you look at it every day, but its definitely easier to see in a series of pictures.

Now I have noticed some BGA or some other kind of mushy blackish colored algae growing where my initial plantings had melted. I dont know how to get rid of this stuff prior to flooding in a few weeks. I tried to manually remove as much as i could with tweezers, but some of it is wrapped around the grains of substrate. I am gonna try some excel in my misting bottle and see if that helps, if not i may go get some antibiotics for it.
It still looking good! Sorry to hear about your algae/bacteria issues. Do you have pictures of it? One of my tanks had BGA(on the substate and glass) and I turned it into an emersed setup. I put some H2O2 directly on it and it got rid of it. One bad thing about it was it melted some of the HC surrounding it.

But, I "WOULD NOT" try it in your tank, because it may kill your other plants. Good Luck!
post #43 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
It still looking good! Sorry to hear about your algae/bacteria issues. Do you have pictures of it? One of my tanks had BGA(on the substate and glass) and I turned it into an emersed setup. I put some H2O2 directly on it and it got rid of it. One bad thing about it was it melted some of the HC surrounding it.

But, I "WOULD NOT" try it in your tank, because it may kill your other plants. Good Luck!
Ill have to pick up some hydrogen peroxide, I kind of messed up and ended up burning a lot of my plants (I used excel in my mister). I think I had the concentration too high and I experienced a lot of yellowing/dying of my s. repens and some HC, but its mostly recovered now. It did kill some of the BGA, but not enough of it. The issue is that its hard to keep my hill side moist while keeping the flatter side not in standing water. I use paper towels to soak up excess water when ever I mist.

I have thought about using maracyn or another anti biotic crushed and mixed into the misting bottle, I dont know effective that would be. I don't know if a black out of a few days would be effective too? Ill try to take some pictures of the the affected area when I get home.
post #44 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looking at the light that you got. It is really nice but it is 78w all together. Did you see any increase in electric bills?

I am thinking of replacing my lighting for my 12gL not sure if I should get this or the finnex ray II :/

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
post #45 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
Looking at the light that you got. It is really nice but it is 78w all together. Did you see any increase in electric bills?

I am thinking of replacing my lighting for my 12gL not sure if I should get this or the finnex ray II :/
Its definitely a lot of light, I have it about 18 inches above the substrate AND i have it filtered through parchment paper, so the actual par getting to the substrate might not be as high. I also replaced the crappy oddesea bulbs with some nice geissman bulbs, It remains to be seen how I can mute the lighting a bit once I flood or If I will need to, I plan on still parsing the light through the parchment paper, ill probably apply it directly to the acrylic glass cover. As far as electric bill goes, I live in texas and our summers are unbearably hot, so I usually get close to $200 no matter what each month, its a pain, but in winter Im usually only paying 40-60.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode