The Planted Tank Forum banner

29g river bed (not fauna)

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  averittexpress 
#1 · (Edited)
I started my tank around the beginning of 2012. Now the growth has become almost uncontrollable. I'm not complaining. I like it. I even thought it was a little overcrowded/stocked, and it is. So far, I've taken out some stargrass and mexican oak leaf. I left in my Ambulia, Baby Tears, Bacopa australis (I'm trying to let it flower. It looks like a really big tree now...), Cabomba, Cryptocoryne Spiralis, Dwarf four leaf clover, Dwarf Hairgrass, Lace Java Fern, Saggitaria Chillensis, and Corkscrew Vals. I've got a 34watt hood and FAR too much substrate. The good news, though, is I was lucky enough to build it right. The gas is released before it builds to the point it boils up the sand and gravel. As of now, I've got [STRIKE]1 Bamboo Shimp[/STRIKE], 8 Rummynose tetras, 3 Emerald Cories, 3 Julli Cories, 2 Albino Cories, 1 Siamese Algae Eater and 1 Black Mystery Snail (female) also countless Pond Snails, Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Ramshorn Snails (Multiple Colors). I'm running my tank at around 80F and have a run of the mill HOB filter. I'm battling an invasion of staghorn algae. I believe I just need to cut down on my photo period, but if anyone else has any experience with this "PITA" algae, please let me know anything you might have learned about Staghorn. I've been trimming plants weekly and decided to let them grow to see if I just didn't have enough green absorbing nutrients. I'd be willing to trade almost any of my plants as via PM too. I'll get more recent pictures up soon. The pictures up on "My Tanks" are at least two months old and need an update somethin' terrible!

See less See more
#3 ·
Get some Excel and double dose it (double the regular dose, not the inital dose). Do it 2-3 days in a row and then do a water change after. Repeat for a couple weeks and most of it should melt completely. Worked for me, I haven't a trace of staghorn left.

#4 ·
Siesta Period? In English please? (lol) So, like an hour in the middle of the day? Like a shadow over a lake... Ok, pictures. Taking some now.

#7 ·
It's not the BBA though. It's staghorn. I've killed off the brush algae in an attempt to exterminate the Staghorn. I kind of wanted the brush algae.

#8 ·
I'm trying the siesta thing in combo with the Excel trip-dose. Today is first water change. I'm giving it about two hours in the middle of the day to rest and build up the CO2 levels. Which is actually really refreshing because my fish love to play when it's "shadowed". Granted I'm at work most of the time, but weekends make a big difference. If anyone would like some of the cuttings, let me know. Also, there's a good bit of Spiral Vals that could be thinned out pretty good. I'm going to have to trim pretty soon and hate throwing these things away.

#9 ·
I've unfortunately had to tear this tank down to move to a new house. :~(
But I upgraded to a 40 gallon and put much less soil in it this time. Staghorn algae is gone now. I took half the light away for about three week and trimmed twice a week. All the fish are the same, but there's more gravel and sand. Posting pictures soon!

I also upgraded the filter to a Fluval 206 (?) canister filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.