The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA 60-H Steal! ヾ(⌒∇⌒)ノ Scaped! ヽ( ・ω・)ノ♪ Set up! Ready for plants.

10K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 · (Edited)
ADA 60-H Steal! ヾ(⌒∇⌒)ノ Scaped! ヽ( ・ω・)ノ♪ Set up! Ready for plants.

Picked up an ADA 60-H (32 gallons) and stand for $130 ($300 new)!

Here it is:

Got 2 packages! A big one and one says ADA on it. :D

Lastly little teaser of the rocks I'm using for the scape:

Should be getting a more stuff next week. I have my scape ready to go. :D

See less See more
#7 ·
Small update!

Getting my light hung right now. Going to put in an order for bulbs also. I'll have some photos tonight of the hanging fixture (hopefully).

Thanks! :D

Great deal!
Yep!

Used from a salt water forum. This tank is drilled in the back.

Man, that's a sweet deal!!!
Yeah I'm pretty lucky! The car ride back sucked though. I was in the back seat with enough room for my shoulders. Couldn't even put the seat belt on.

Nice deal! So what do putting in it?
Only decided on my hardscape so far. I have an idea of fauna/flora, but undecided right now.

#9 ·
Finished scaping!

Finished the scape late tonight with the help of my lovely girlfriend. :D Then I fed her lots of freshly made and steamed chinese veggie buns!

Getting the first rock in was the hardest part. It weighs probably 35-40 ish lbs. I'm really light about 115 lbs. Trying to get it into a deep tank was really hard even with the help of my gf.

Second rock in! A lot easier, did this one by myself.

Front view of the rocks:

Filled with aquasoil!

Mid level shot:

Standing looking down angle:

There you have it! Receiving stuff in the mail next week. Hopefully I'll have this planted whenever I get the rest of my stuff. Still not 100% on my flora/fauna.

#11 ·
What's you got them both tank and stand for 130? are you serious???
Cool scape.....I can't wait for more updates.

Finished scaping!

Finished the scape late tonight with the help of my lovely girlfriend. :D Then I fed her lots of freshly made and steamed chinese veggie buns!
:Dhahahha, but from the picture, it seems like she did it all for you. :proud:

#18 ·
Thanks! ;)

Yep, you're right these are lava rocks. :D

I'm not completely sure yet. Have some idea, but need to decide. Pressure!

Those are some serious rocks, looking good
Seriously, thank you. ;)

Good deal on the tank, I was watching that setup sit for the longest time. My personal opinion is the rock is too big for the tank.

I find it funny that the lady is doing the heavy lifting while you're behind the camera. Girls + rocks + glass tanks = no way :icon_mrgr
I was too. Felt bad.

Rock or rocks? It looks different in person imo. The photos lack depth and 3 dimensionality. The eyes capture more detailing in the lava rock.

They are definitely bigger than normal, and I like that. People try to emulate the mountains with rock scapes, but the rocks are always small in proportion to their tanks. Why not use bigger rocks and make a more impressive mountain?

These are actually screen shots of a video I took of us scaping. The rocks were placed with combined efforts and I moved out of the way so it looks like only my gf worked on it. Without my gf's help, I wouldn't have been able to put the rock in the tank. I'm only 115 lbs. Add a 40 lb rock to me on top of a chair bending over into a small glass space = a recipe for disaster.

My gf is actually stronger than me. She was doing olympic level gymnastics
before she broke her spine. Good thing her spinal cord was not damaged.

Pretty awesome deal! I really like the rocks but I agree that they may be a tad too big for the tank...they throw the scale abit out of whack.

It actually reminds me a bit of a salt-water reef set-up. A rock dominated scape with some well thought out plant additions could look really cool.
I'm glad you see it that way. The whole point was to have the scale out of the norm. I'm thinking about a small lava rock 4-6" ish in the front right to make the bigger ones look big, and also to balance it out with a nice trio. All the stone scapes I see have smaller rocks. I wish people would do something a little different sometimes. Not that Iwagumis in that style look bad.

I'm thinking pretty hard about my plant choices. I think HC would be a really good option, though cliche, it will enhance the sense of scale. On the other side, I'm almost out of money (college student) and growing belem would look good as well + I can sell portions for decent money.

Not sure about the back left corner though. I have pretty large triangular area since the left rock is pushed forward. I think I might just carpet it in the beginning and if I want to transform this tank I can do stems/tall plants in that corner.

I'm probably going to include a small school of green neons to further the scale and by keeping the school small x2 the sense of scale.

I second both of those notions.
Refer to the reply to prototyp3. It will respond to your thoughts if yours were the same as his.

Wow, I wrote a lot.

#20 ·
Going to be a very dramatic scape, something that makes a statement from across the room then you want to get up close to see what is in there. Sure must have been scary moving those rocks in there.

Reminds me of this one at 3:24 in this ADA video.
http://youtu.be/5lk99JTRyKI

#22 ·
I tend to agree with prototyp3 and tharsis; these rocks are very large. Although I agree that far too many tanks underestimate the value of large rock in their plan, were each of the rocks you currently are using were about 33% smaller I think they would be perfect. Just my humble opinion, however I am eagerly looking forward to what ultimately decide to do with this tank. ;)

#36 ·
Thanks! I hope so. :D

I see what you're going for with the drawing, but you don't have the space to get that feel. Once you crop it down to the actual tank size (and water depth) it's going to look more like this. (attachement)

Sweet pre-vis drawing though. It's always good to have a plan!
Thanks! :D

Yeah, true. The giant black borders do make the scape look more cramped than it is. We'll be viewing through a rimless tank.

You know you mentioned the back corner triangle. That got me to thinking of some vivipara or cyprus heleferi in lieu of stem plants. They might compliment what you're currently planning...But I must agree with prototyp3, I love the drawn plan!
Thanks! ^_^

Yeah, the plant in the bg is vivipara.

I disagree with anyone saying that those rocks are too big. Those rocks are just right. If you scape this successfully, it will be epic.
That's the hardest part. So many people watching, pressure is on!

Hey,

Just a quick thought, is the tank already drilled? If it's not make sure you drill the right sized hole for the bulkhead... you probably know that. A 3/4" bulkhead can be from a 1"-1 3/4" hole depending on the use
It is already drilled. 42mm and 29mm holes. A 1/2" bulkhead should fit the 29mm, but not sure about the 42. 1" is too big, but 3/4" might be too small. I might be in trouble. I'm going to the lfs tomorrow to see if they have bulkheads.

As of right now, I actually am liking the big rocks. I have to see what you do with it to stand behind that. Not that it matters, it's your tank. I can't wait to see this.
Thanks! I know, I don't want to disappoint. Trust me, LOL.

I agree. This could be a great demonstration of the perception of scale just because of the rocks. I wasn't entirely kidding about the big ADA sticker earlier. When I'm checking out photos of aquascapes, the one thing I always count on to set the scale of everything is the size of the ADA sticker relation to the size of the tank. Take it away and sometimes it is very difficult (in a good way) to tell that they aren't giant scapes.
I really like plays on perspective.

Very, true. That's what I'm using when looking through Amano's photobook. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Most of the time though, by looking at species of plants (gauging by leaf size) I'm able to guess the size.

some sweet stuff going on here.
i better subscribe.
Thanks. :D

Awesome, an international visitor. Welcome!

#34 ·
I agree. This could be a great demonstration of the perception of scale just because of the rocks. I wasn't entirely kidding about the big ADA sticker earlier. When I'm checking out photos of aquascapes, the one thing I always count on to set the scale of everything is the size of the ADA sticker relation to the size of the tank. Take it away and sometimes it is very difficult (in a good way) to tell that they aren't giant scapes.

#37 ·
Second drawing is done! Click to view larger! Not sure if I'll be doing anymore. I guess it partially depends on how you guys like it. I'm pretty happy with it, but you can always improve. Or I might have some stroke of genius, LOL.

Well, here it is:

Here are the plants labelled. As well as some artsy fartsy stuff going on in the right corner. Fooled around with naming the scape. I've never done it before so I did as a break from scribbling. I'm so deep - pretty lame, LOL. :hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.