OA's first Planted Tank! (Dunt dun dun!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool OA's first Planted Tank! (Dunt dun dun!)

After years of Saltwater and Cichlid Tanks, we finally decided to chart into unknown territory... THE PLANTED TANK! *insert dramatic music here!*

So we started where all great Tankthusiasts start... the internet! We already had the basics having done tanks before (cycling, water parameters, etc...) but we obviously have a whole new world of things in the Planted Tank to learn. So, here starts our Journey!

We started our 55G Planted Tank mid April and started the cycling process. Then, we got our first plants from PetSmart (we decided to stay in the cheap zone until we feel comfortable) We got Dwarf Sword, Hairgrass, Amazon Swords and then transplanted a Java Fern that my Cichlids had terrorized. We also planted some random bulbs from Pet Smart packs. (2 water lily, 2 onion bulbs, 4 Aponogeton bulbs and about 4 or 5 pond lily bulbs)

We also got a White Ribbon Plant - but once I got online and looked up what "semi aquatic" meant, we quickly removed it. (This picture is obviously prior to that removal)

Day One:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

About two weeks passed of low level cycling (using food and quick start chem). Finally, our water looked to be nice and stable, so we started adding our fish.

We started out with 10 Serpae Tetra ("The Red Devils"), 2 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami ("Goober and Goonie") (from PetSmart) and an old Sailfin Pleco ("Agent P") we transplanted from a Cichlid tank. We also added on one of those canister CO2 things, but it seemed to make my PH screwy to we are briefly unplugging it. The plants seem to be doing fine with out it as all plants have grown and bulbs are sprouting. (We have two VHO's on it, one 110W AquaGro and one 110W Actinic Blue left over from the SW tank. I know it serve no real purpose being blue for the plants, but it makes my fish look pretty!)

We also got some Fissidens Fontanus from EBay a few days ago and I have to say it's rather beautiful!

Tested water Daily and continued the every-three-days water change.

About two weeks later - we added a small school of Zebra Danio (6 - "The Martys"), a Flame Dwarf Gourami ("Zatarain"), and three Sunburst Platys ("Curly, Larry and Moe"). We learned quickly that the Serpae are not as polite as we originally thought when they ganged up the two blue Gouramis (they liked the top of the tank, where as the flame likes to hide so was safe) and then on a Danio that was the slow one and killed all three the first day. Since then, however, they have significantly chilled out and I have not seen them chase or nip anyone else... not even the Sunburst (who I thought would have been their first choice?!?).

Today, as a late Mother's Day Present, my husband surprised me with a large piece of driftwood he scored from our friend, the lovely LFS owner. It's exactly what I wanted and is even covered in some moss already (although I have *no idea* what kind) and even apparently has a clam or something hidden in it although I can't seem to see it. (My DH had better eyes than I do!)

Tank today: (please ignore the ugly background with crazy amounts of bubbles.)

and close ups of driftwood:

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What is your light? Seems very low.

Easiest low light plants are moses, ferns, Sagittarius, and crypts, amazon swords. Crypts wood need root tabs which are cheapest here. Some sworrds get very big so be careful in your selection. Check here for more low light plants. I found the hard way that plants that are cheap sometimes end up costing for need costly light system.

When you buy plants at this forum most send a bunch. Thus more cost affective.

For background cheapest is silk cloth taped to cardboard which is taped to the tank with duck tape.

With all of the wood I am uncertain of what the theme of your tank is to be.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry, it's sort of burried in that post.

Quote:
"We have two VHO's on it, one 110W AquaGro and one 110W Actinic Blue left over from the SW tank. I know it serve no real purpose being blue for the plants, but it makes my fish look pretty!"
So officially it's 4WPG but I don't think the Blue Actinic light counts for the full 2WPG it delivers since the plants don't take to the blue light waves as well. My swords and bulbs are growing insanely good so I wasn't worried about it (for now).

As far as a theme - it's eventually going to be a slight asian theme, but we are working on getting the tank parameters set before we get too heavy into the themeing. The stumps on the right are all fake stumps that were in a cichlid tank we are just putting in for now to give the fish some cover until we get more plants in and they aren't staying. The large driftwood centerpiece, though, is going to stay. It's "under constuction" lol.

And thanks for the plants from here suggestion, going to look now.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not sure that's moss you've got going. Looks awfully furry like our BBA friend although it is pretty green.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
I'm not sure that's moss you've got going. Looks awfully furry like our BBA friend although it is pretty green.
Yeah we figured that out here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...t-moss-id.html
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureAllure View Post
Good to know.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ya when I first seen that picture I was oh no algae. From reading your other thread about the algae. That suck's I just got fooled by buying a non-aquatic plant.

Did you end up getting rid of the algae. I would definitely add moss to all of the wood pieces. You could go with one type or try different types on the wood.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337903522.453548.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	48083

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337903532.104026.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	48084

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337903543.121191.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	48085
Yay updates!

We added new plants in the last few weeks (Red Ludwigia, ball of baby tears & hygro carymbosa & java moss) and some new friends (4 Amano shrimp, one Pinocchio shrimp & blue dwarf gourami)

My old plants are growing wonderfully & the new stuff is getting acclimated.

In love with the shrimp - the little Pinocchio shrimp is an adrenaline junkie and spends the day playing in the bubbles. (funniest thing I've ever seen!)

I think another few weeks of letting the plants fill in and we'll be ready for the real aquascaping.

Little "AJ" the Adrenaline Junkie (Pinocchio Shrimp) playing in the bubbles:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337903915.708322.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  22.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337903938.191413.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  19.2 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337903950.119727.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  18.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337903960.374519.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  19.2 KB

Last edited by ObscureAllure; 05-25-2012 at 05:04 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338137373.606383.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	48206

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338137397.891402.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	48207

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338137417.206006.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	48208

Got a hair up our but and did some aquascaping. I'm really loving the stairs, Although I'll have to redo them later.

Glad we got rid of all the fake wood.

New impulse buy plants, too. Giant sword in the corner and "Telanthera cardinalis" behind the stairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode