Cochepaille's 110g "dream office" tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just remember with ANY moss carpet, like your hair, it will need trimming.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...d-upgrade.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr View Post
I wouldn't recommend Java moss for a carpet. It grows way too messy.
What about dwarf sags ? they spread fast, and will survive at 80.
I thought dwarf sag grows pretty tall? I would like more of a carpet look, you know?
post #18 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
Just remember with ANY moss carpet, like your hair, it will need trimming.
That's why I was looking to do the Christmas moss... I've read that it doesn't grow as scraggly as the java moss, and that you only need to trim it about 1/2 as much.
post #19 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochepaille View Post
I thought dwarf sag grows pretty tall? I would like more of a carpet look, you know?

negitive, that's why its called DWARF

75 Dirted
post #20 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
negitive, that's why its called DWARF
Maybe that's the route I'll take, then. Do they spread out on their own (meaning that I won't have to plant hundreds of little plants just got get the carpet-esque look?
post #21 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:04 PM
ony
Planted Member

Quote:
Maybe that's the route I'll take, then. Do they spread out on their own (meaning that I won't have to plant hundreds of little plants just got get the carpet-esque look?
Yep the new plantlets grow off runners. It grows quite fast and mine is only about 2 inches tall max.
post #22 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ony View Post
Yep the new plantlets grow off runners. It grows quite fast and mine is only about 2 inches tall max.
Excellent! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Now I can get the carpet look w/o having to do all the work of creating a moss carpet!

Thanks guys!
post #23 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Also let me give you this link.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_cat.php?category=6

If you want to create a natual habitat for your discus find out WHAT plants are from that area. This link will help.

75 Dirted
post #24 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 PM
ptr
Planted Tank Obsessed

Actually, some dwarf sag grows taller than others - don't know why.

Here is a picture of the tiny ones:

and here are the taller ones:

If you can get your hand on the tiniest ones, you will get a carpet look over time. They grow fast and dense.
post #25 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

here is an updated pic of my tank, you can see them in the left corner

75 Dirted
post #26 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My opinion on your filter is that just one Eheim Pro II is not enough. Yes it says up to 92 gallons but almost everyone here "over filters". People will put the Eheim Pro II on their 40-60 gallon tanks. I had it on a 60 gallon and I felt it wasn't enough and added in an extra canister. I would suggest the same, perhaps another Eheim Pro II to keep things uniform and you'd be good. Of course just my opinion, if your tank is thriving then that's great =)
post #27 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Alright, once again I'm flip-flopping on my fish choice, lol. I can't find ANYTHING as nice as discus fish, and other cichlids, as I have been told, will just tear up my tank and eat any small schooling fish I want. So now I'm back on the discus train! lol

That, however, means that I have to re-think my plant selection b/c none of the plants I wanted would survive at 80+ degrees. Accordingly, I've come up w/ a list of other plants that I think might work.

What are your thoughts on these plants?

Java moss (carpet)
Java Ferns (med)
Jungle Vals (thick/tall grass)
Ruffle Swords (tall)
Rangeri Swords (tall, thin stock, broad leaf)
Red Melon Swords (same as above, red/green color)
Rotala Indica (tall, scraggly bushes)
Anubias (short, broad deaves)
African Bolbitus (tall, fern-like)

I'm definitely going to use the java moss carpet (although I wish I could do the Christmas moss b/c it's a lot nicer looking), probably the java fern as a medium-height plant, and then 3 or 4 of the taller plants.
Hi there,
I believe you may have had a look at my low-tech planted discus tank on another thread which you started recently regarding your 110 gal tank (re: 'large center-piece fish'.) On that thread I also listed a number of plants which would do well at the higher temps needed to keep discus.

Your list above is fine, except possibly for the Java Moss. In my experience with planted discus tanks, many plants do very well @ 83-84 F, except for carpet plants of any kind, which are not only 'iffy' at the temps, but tend to create conditions which are not conducive to keeping the relatively pristine water quality conditions needed for discus to thrive. (very difficult to keep the substrate clean & free of detritus.)
A couple of other suggestions for you to consider:
- Using any type of soft, 'dirt-type' substrates capped by sand or gravel' while good for the plants, can create undesirable conditions for discus in terms of difficulty in maintaining high water quality. A good substrate to use for a planted discus tank is a good grade of pool filter sand, with plant ferts supplied by root tabs & other liquid or dry ferts in the water column.
- Tankmates: Clown Loaches are not generally regarded as compatible discus tank-mates. They are very active, grow quite large, and may tend to startle and stress discus. As well, Neon Tetras do not handle the higher discus temps well, and may become snacks for larger discus. Good tankmates are Cardinals, Rummy-Noses, Lemon Tetras, GB Rams, Cories, and there are others as well.
Hope this helps you with your decisions.
Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any further questions.
All the best to you with your discus tank project.
post #28 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
My opinion on your filter is that just one Eheim Pro II is not enough. Yes it says up to 92 gallons but almost everyone here "over filters". People will put the Eheim Pro II on their 40-60 gallon tanks. I had it on a 60 gallon and I felt it wasn't enough and added in an extra canister. I would suggest the same, perhaps another Eheim Pro II to keep things uniform and you'd be good. Of course just my opinion, if your tank is thriving then that's great =)
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do... especially considering the fact that I will be keeping discus and the tank is long instead of tall. I started another threat re: where to place the 2 filter intake/outputs, and the vast majority of members who commented indicated that I need 2 filters even if it's just to move the water around properly.

While I won't be getting another Eheim Professional II, I will make sure to get one that has equal or greater capacity, that way I can put them at opposite sides of the tank and ensure the best water movement & filtration.
post #29 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Hi there,
I believe you may have had a look at my low-tech planted discus tank on another thread which you started recently regarding your 110 gal tank (re: 'large center-piece fish'.) On that thread I also listed a number of plants which would do well at the higher temps needed to keep discus.

Your list above is fine, except possibly for the Java Moss. In my experience with planted discus tanks, many plants do very well @ 83-84 F, except for carpet plants of any kind, which are not only 'iffy' at the temps, but tend to create conditions which are not conducive to keeping the relatively pristine water quality conditions needed for discus to thrive. (very difficult to keep the substrate clean & free of detritus.)
A couple of other suggestions for you to consider:
- Using any type of soft, 'dirt-type' substrates capped by sand or gravel' while good for the plants, can create undesirable conditions for discus in terms of difficulty in maintaining high water quality. A good substrate to use for a planted discus tank is a good grade of pool filter sand, with plant ferts supplied by root tabs & other liquid or dry ferts in the water column.
- Tankmates: Clown Loaches are not generally regarded as compatible discus tank-mates. They are very active, grow quite large, and may tend to startle and stress discus. As well, Neon Tetras do not handle the higher discus temps well, and may become snacks for larger discus. Good tankmates are Cardinals, Rummy-Noses, Lemon Tetras, GB Rams, Cories, and there are others as well.
Hope this helps you with your decisions.
Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any further questions.
All the best to you with your discus tank project.
Hey Discuspaul,

I believe I did look at your thread, and it was very helpful... in fact, I've made a few decisions because of your thread and the comments that I've received on all of mine.

First off, I will be doing discus. I won't, however, be keeping clown loaches (for the reasons you have indicated). Instead, I'll probably keep a small school of pearl gouramis as well as some small schooling fish (tetras/barbs) to be determined, and a couple of loaches (probably zebra or other, small ones).

Second, I have ruled out doing a true "carpet" out of any moss. Instead, I'm going to do a dwarf sag "carpet".

The substrate will be the same, we'll see if that works out.
post #30 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hey Discuspaul,

I believe I did look at your thread, and it was very helpful... in fact, I've made a few decisions because of your thread and the comments that I've received on all of mine.

First off, I will be doing discus. I won't, however, be keeping clown loaches (for the reasons you have indicated). Instead, I'll probably keep a small school of pearl gouramis as well as some small schooling fish (tetras/barbs) to be determined, and a couple of loaches (probably zebra or other, small ones).

Second, I have ruled out doing a true "carpet" out of any moss. Instead, I'm going to do a dwarf sag "carpet".

The substrate will be the same, we'll see if that works out.
Sounds good.
If you decide on Barbs, go with the more peaceful barbs, like cherry barbs - stay away from Tiger Barbs - which are very active and 'nippers' as well.
All the best to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode