post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

17.4 gal Mr. Aqua nature scape

This is the beginning stages of my first aquascape. The specs:

-17.4g rimless Mr. Aqua
-AquaClear 50 Power Filther
-Catalina Aquariums 2x24" T5HO fixture
-Malaysian driftwood
-Mineralized Top Soil substrate, per instructions here.

To come:
-Eleocharis parvula, java moss, java fern
-Amano shrimp, cardinal tetras
-Pressurized co2

Took a few pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It looks like your off to a good start, are you going to try the DSM with your moss where you chop it up and just rub it on the wood?? I think the MTS originated from Sean Murphy so those are good instructions and I have only been an active gwapa member since August of last year and all of the members tanks are beautiful and some of the MTS tanks are really super old and still look great and a lot of them get no water column dosing at all, so don't add them unless you start to see a problem. There's no way you can get the tank away from the window??

BTW welcome to the forum!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah unfortunately that is literally the only spot I have to set all of this up. I'm taking preventative measures to keep the tank from being too affected by the heat and light. The window itself has 3 layers of coverage to keep the heat from the sun out of the room, which helps immensely in Florida Summers. Thanks for taking a look and for the encouragement!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Welcome to the forum. Ya I agree you have a great start here. That piece of driftwood has a nice shape to it. That sucks theres no other spot to put it. Do you have any ideas where you plan on putting your plants?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Welcome to the forum. Ya I agree you have a great start here. That piece of driftwood has a nice shape to it. That sucks theres no other spot to put it. Do you have any ideas where you plan on putting your plants?
Just saw your post! The hairgrass will of course be planted in the substrate haha. The Java moss and fern will be attached to the driftwood but I'm debating exactly where. I'm thinking of using the narrow leaf fern on the back side of the wood to create a whispy, sort of tentacle inspired explosion of growth from the back. The moss would look best on the top side of the wood. You can't tell from the picture but the wood is actually 3 separate pieces. It took a few attempts to get the look I wanted but it came out nice IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode