Well this neat tank has been through several homes and never actually had water in it. A customer brought it into the shop and sold it to us for some frags and what not. After watching all the salties drool over it for the day I walked up and snagged it out from under them with the triumphant "MINE!" shouted.
This is actually my second attempt starting this tank as my first attempted dry start ended in mold...fail. So I emptied it today and started over. I decided to go with mineralized glacial silt that I harvested off the Matanuska river last weekend as a base. On top of that I used black Fluorite sand as a cap. It all set up very nice. I placed my piece of driftwood and am still contemplating using some sweet rocks that I found on the river.
I also started setting up the sump. The tank was built and drilled for saltwater so it has a built in overflow box. Hooking up the plumbing was easy and is still in the process of being tinkered with. I have a shop full of salties to advise (and tell me its a waste of a tank). Anyways all I have left is installing the baffling, building a top to keep CO2 in, and ordering plants. (I already have a full CO2 System)
Well my 3"x5" hc mats arrived yesterday and I took them home. I ended up finding these awesome rocks on a drive to Valdez and decided to use them instead of the driftwood. The rocks have quartz runners all over them. These have always been my favorite rocks.