The Planted Tank Forum banner

First Showing

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  bellisb925 
#1 ·
Well, got hooked about 8 months ago after coming across this website. Here is what I have to show you and it is a credit to all of the info/people here. Anyways, feel free to comment. Below is a list of what is in there from right to left.

Stargrass
Hygrophila costata
C. unduluta
P. gayi
Baby tears
Rotala macranda :icon_frow
Java moss
Dwarf sag
Creeping genny
Rotala indica

Some of the statsfor those who want to know:

50g tank
Pressurized CO2
Magnum 350 filter/reactor
5.2 wpg
flourite substrate
EI dosing

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow!! I've been here almost as long as you and my tanks look nowhere near as nice! You've definitely got an eye for it. I like the negative space, gives a feeling of openness, but I'm just a noob!

#9 ·
Well sorry, but I don't have an update for y'all now. I have changed some things since then. I have added some E. diversifolia, a Ludwigia species which I don't know, Rotala vietnamese, and dwarf Lobelia. I removed over half of the baby tears and threw out the H. costada which had grown out of control. When things fill in a bit I will post an update.

Bert H, I have never had any problems with the moss and SAE's. That is interesting that yours are doing that. They do eat a lot during feeding time so maybe that has something to do with it?

bc_hawaii, I believe you are talking about baby tears or H. micranthama something. It has been real nice, but I am thinking of experimenting with some other foreground plants that I haven't been able to grow in the past due to lighting.

Brian

#10 ·
bc_hawaii said:
Hey!

NICE TANK! Love to see how it evolves over time.

A noob question, what is the center plant called? Looks great.
Heminathus micranthmoides.

Brian, your tank looks great. I've never had any luck keeping R magneta or macrandra alive either. Are the new plants you mention the ones from the open house? How are they doing? So far all the one's I kept seem to be making it...although it'll be awhile for some of Jim's contributions to transition from emersed to submersed form.

#12 ·
bc_hawaii said:
Well, I really like that plant I want to buy some at aquariumgardens.com,

they sell m. umbrosum http://www.aquariumgarden.com/index.php?doc_base=plant_info.php&plantid=bp005

What's the different from the one you mentioned?
H. micranthemoides has lanceolate shaped leaves (left stem in the pic) while M. umbrosum has round leaves (right stem).

The growing pattern is slightly different, too (at least for me). The micranthemoides swill spread equally horizontally and vertically forming a dense mat if left alone.

M. umbrosum grows more upright, forming an increasingly larger bush until the central stem breaks free from the substrate and the whole thing floats up to the surface.

Attachments

#15 ·
bharada said:
M. umbrosum grows more upright, forming an increasingly larger bush until the central stem breaks free from the substrate and the whole thing floats up to the surface.
I always thought it was because of my growing ability that they did this. The stems seem to become thinner and thinner near the bottom and they eventually do break off and float around.

#16 ·
Updated 7/7/05

Not a great pic, but it is the best I can do. So the unknown ludwigia is pantanal in the back right. The polygonum red is just growing out there. Never have grown it before and seeing what it is capable of. Added the lobelia(Thanks bill!) and cut back the baby tears. Love to hear any comments.

Brian

Attachments

#18 ·
I have to say I think its much better that the first picture. I think the aquascape has really come along great. The only think that I might suggest, is spreading the baby tears out so it is along the whole foreground. Especially in front of that moss. Your are getting it to grow beautifully along the front, might as well have it as the foreground. I really like the tank! :proud:

#19 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Two things I forgot to mention. I finally have D. diandra growing. Never had good luck until now. Also have some T. belem making a come back. The original stems died, but have side shoots coming off of them that look really healthy. I will have to let the baby tears spread out over there. I am always cutting it back from that area.

Brian

#21 ·
Looking nice, Brian. Interesting about Tonina, what are your water parameters(kh/gh) like? Tonina died in my 100 gallon, just setup a 10 gallon for Toninas several weeks ago to try again, trying softwater this time.

#22 ·
The T. belem started off in a 10g tank w/ parameters off: pH 7.5, KH of 3, GH 4 and only 2.8wpg. Probably not the best conditions. It now has parameters of pH 6.4, KH=3, GH=4, 5.2wpg and a good fertilization program. We will see how it does because it is one of my wifes favorite plants and we would like it to do well.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.