A couple months ago I started derimming a spare 5.5g tank, cut my finger in the process of removing the silicone, and shoved it under stand to be forgotten. When I decided to set up a little Walstad tank, I thought the derimmed tank would be perfect. I pulled it out and finished cleaning up the silicone. After sanding the edges with my trusty Mouse sander, here's what I had:
It wasn't perfect by any account. I was a little overzealous with the dremel when I initially cut the rim off. Here you can see a couple of the marks I left on it:
I originally bought MGOPM, then a bag of cheap topsoil after reading a lot of people's preference for the latter. Unfortunately upon opening my topsoil it looked moldy, so I went back to the MGOPM.
Here you can see some of the larger chunks sifted out by my hardware cloth sifter.
Here's the tank with about .75" of the sifted MGOPM.
Here it is after initial planting. No cap yet.
Flourite cap and additional plants (anubias on rocks and two java ferns suction cupped near the bottom - they'll probably come out later).
After initial fill and floating plants added. No real cloudiness, just an incredibly dirty window.
This was really fun to setup and didn't take very long at all. I know a lot of these plants will get large and may eventually need removed and/or lots of pruning, but I wanted to use what I had on hand. The only thing I bought specifically for this tank was the MGOPM and the light which will be here Wednesday.