Journal: RIP, 6/04 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Jaguar
Journal: RIP, 6/04

Well... to be honest I never intended to keep this tank running once I got my ADA tank. But it's been up and running for so long, I just can't tear it down right now. I'm simply not ready to set up my ADA tank - it doesn't even have a stand. I'm SO broke right now!

Well anyways. I've had this tank for about 8 months now. I got it off a classified ad for $40 (tank, stand, lights, filter, heater, 2 powerheads and a bucket of gravel). It's been through a lot of tank layouts, however, a massive cyano outbreak (lack of nitrates I think) and other algaes destroyed previous scapes. I tore it down and rebuilt it but the same thing. I just finished a 5-day blackout now to kill the cyano, did a massive vaccuum and water change, and started up DIY CO2 again. I also started dosing EI ferts including nitrates and small amounts of phosphates.

The tank has also been ravaged by disease - I believe either TB or Neon Tetra disease are the most likely two. I have lost a LOT of my fish stock, including 13 neon tetras, 4 german blue rams, otos, gouramis, and various others. For now I'm trying to maintain a clean tank to try and slow the disease progression and see where we go from there.

Tank specs as follows:

33 gallon rimless Hagen
40w T8 CFL's 4100k (eww...)
Eheim ecco 2234
DIY CO2 with powerhead diffuser
100w heater set around 78 deg.
Combination of EI and Flourish line ferts.

PH is ~7
GH is 100-120ppm
Tank is fully cycled but I dose nitrates around 5-10ppm.

Fish are:
9 Harlequin rasboras
2 German blue rams
5 black skirt tetras
2 neon tetras
1 red wag platy
1 dwarf gourami

Plants are just generic Petsmart selection, nothing rare or interesting. Some crypts, anubias, vals, etc.

I will post progression photos in the next post.

Last edited by Jaguar; 08-19-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: dead links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Original scape:

First rescape:

Peak:

After rescape:

Cyano outbreak:

Today:
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Day 3 of recovery. Cleaned the glass, vacced some more mulm, and added some plants. Narrow leaf amazon sword and a red lily.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

Now this is just a suggestion, one of the main problems why you keep getting that algae is the sand your using. I would maybe convert over to eco-complete or any other substrate that has plant nutrients in it. I know you are tight on cash, so I know you probably can't afford to pay for new substrate. I was using similar sand and was having the same problem. That's just my opinion though
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: In a little town in the central valley of California!
I always had algae problems in my sandy tank >_< I think the sand was releasing a lot of phosphates (reason behind thought was the algae subsided while I had a bag of that phosphate remover in the tank!)

On an off note, your rats are adorable ^__^
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ugh cyano is a freaking nightmare. I used EM Eyrthromycin and it killed it, but then I had a whole host of other problems from amonia since I took out the filter and started the cycle over. I think the causes were poor water circulation, too small of a filter, and low nitrates. I put a second, much larger filter and a powerhead in there. Took months of daily water changes before I finally got the water clear again. I can't imagine trying to get the stuff off of sand. Good luck to you!

I have gone to a place far below up above and in between the middle.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can't afford to replace the substrate right now, you're right. I forgot to mention that I use Osmocote + capsules under the sand for root feeding. I wish I could afford to pay ridiculous Canadian prices for something like Fluorite but I'd buy a stand for my 60-P before that haha.

We'll see if the nitrates help with the cyano. Honestly other algae wasn't too much of a problem... just the dang cyano.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Day 4 and the cyano is showing signs of growth. I think I might cry.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to jcgd
I don't believe flourite has any nutrients out if the bag unless they pre load it. Mine has always grown plants better with age.

I had a cyano outbreak in my shrimp tank with fluval stratum. That stuff has plenty of nutrients. I find flow to be the biggest issue when it comes to cyano. Maybe phosphates too, never checked for it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I noticed today that the cyano really seems to like the front of the tank... I'm starting to wonder if the sunlight from my living room window is causing all these problems. And then I find another dilemma - I have nowhere else in the living room to put the tank... it would be in sunlight regardless. Hmmmm.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Unfortunately I have lost the battle once again. I do not think my sand is releasing phosphates because cyano is not an issue in another tank that has the same substrate... hair algae is another story.

So maybe there are phosphates in my water... or there is a lack of phosphates? Apparently cyanobacteria is an issue in the lake that sources my drinking water... I am going to invest in a test kit and find out.

Unfortunately if I can't tackle this issue I am going to just euthanize my cheap livestock (neon tetra disease - can't sell them), disassemble the tank, sell it, and then hopefully be able to save up enough money to continue my 60-P build. Or I might just keep the glass, sell the stand, and trash the hood. I only paid $40 for it all and I might be able to use the tank in the future.

I don't know why I can't successfully do low tech... I guess its all or nothing here.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cyano can also arise from low nitrates since cyanobacteria can directly fix nitrogen which means they basically can get it out of the air. Other plants are starved for nitrates and consequently there is now an excess of other nutrients that cyano feasts on.

Hydrogen peroxide does a pretty good job of knocking it down.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

where did you get the sand? if it has silicate in it there's your problem. silicate will cause algae.

Thanks, Joey. tanks-CUBE of different sizes.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dose nitrates around 10ppm

The sand is Geosystem pacific sand, it's strange because I have another 10 gallon with the same sand and it only has hair algae, no cyano... if i'm going to have to switch out the substrate i'm just gonna trash the tank. Not worth the time/money right now.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I give up. Algae is so thick that my plants are rotting. Tank looks like someone dumped a bag of garbage in it after just a week of no maintenance. Getting rid of all the fish but one ram and the harlequin rasboras and tearing the tank down. Will sell it and put that money towards my 60-P stand. Ram/rasboras can go in my guppy tank for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode