75P ADA finally starting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

75P ADA finally starting

Well, got my wood from Manzanitaburlworks.com......last week. My father in law brought my tank up to Eureka from San Francisco Wednesday, and today, I finally got to play with it. Here is how it's going. I added my substrate and laid out the wood the way I liked it. I am going to add a big narrow leaf java fern in the middle of the wood to grow out, and Glosso around it, maybe somthing tall and thin in the back....maybe Eleocharis Vivipara? Maybe something else, haven't decided quite yet. Anyway, I will post as it comes along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/danidaveyfan/

For some reason, it won't let me download any pictures. So the above is a link to the pictures on my photobucket.....The first 5 are of the tank with the substrate and the wood in.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to styxx
Oh Cradleoffilthfan, you've definitely got my attention now, lol. Now my question is if you have the plans for building that stand and what do I have to do to get my hands on them!? I have a 90P which is 36 x 18 x 18 and I'd like to have a stand maybe 3 inches larger all around, but I have zero carpentry skills. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated. I think if I had some plans, I'd probably have someone here build it for me. As for the tank itself, it looks great and I love the wood. I'm an iwugami man myself but I'm excited to see how this comes along. Of course for the back you could always do the E. Vivipara, but I like Cyperus Heleferi for it's flowing appearance, although it can be a difficult plant in the beginning.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I actually had the C. Helferi on my "Wish List" but couldn't really make up my mind. I would really be happy with either. I love a challenge for sure, maybe the helferi is what I will go with. The only concern I have is....the tank is pretty wide as you know. It's 18 inches wide. I have a dual T5HO (30 inches) 31 watts per tube above the tank......I know the reflectors aren't the best, although they are in the "Fair" catagory. When I put the light fixture above the tank, it looks so small, like there would be no way the light would get fully from the back to the front.....I think I am going to have to be really creative on what plants I put in the mid to background, because I will have to have the lights right over the foreground for the Glosso I planned on having.....:/

As for the plans for the tank......I actually stole them from the internet. It's a really (REALLY) beefy design though. Overkill for this tank maybe, but I wasn't going to take any chances. The only thing I would do differently if I were building it again, is on the front of the stand, the way I built it, it makes it almost impossible to put on cabinet doors. I am going to have to fix that, I am just going to have to add wood to the front to get the face, for lack of better terms, to the same level. You can kinda see what I mean if you look at the pictures on my photobucket......I put a 1" X 4" piece on the top and the bottom, but not on the sides in the front. Now, I don't have a place to hinge doors because the sides are too deep.
I will try to find a link for the plans, but as I remember, they were hard to find in the first place......the corners are 4 x 4's notched, you might be able to google diy aquarium stand with notched 4 x 4's lol......Thanks for the kind words for my layout, I appreciate the input.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to styxx
Well I think that a fixture with only two 31w tubes isn't going to be enough light for high-light plant like glosso. You PAR would be too low, even if you had a 3" substrate, at 15" from the light (assuming it was hanging right over or affixed to the tank at water level), I don't know if glosso would grow horizontally like it should (even with Co2 injection). Just a word of caution.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I do have around 3 or 4 inches of substrate. I measured the distance to the light and it is at 15 inches. I am hoping(and crossing fingers) it's enough. If not, I will just have to sell the fixture and get a 30 inch fixture from Catalina with some good reflectors. When I bought the fixture, I was looking at a chart on a different site...they had a dual T5HO fixture at 15 inches at high light. I figured even with my Coralife Aqualight with decent but not the best reflectors, it might be enough for at least medium high light and therefore enough for Glosso......I might be wrong, but I am prepared to step it up if need be. This will be an experiment of sorts. Other than the light, I have a pretty decent pressurized system, so co2 won't be an issue (hopefully ). Just got my dry ferts a couple weeks ago......Never done the dry ferts before, so this will be fun for sure. I guess I will be doing the EI method? That seems to be the one everyone does. Is there a link to measurements?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, update, I bought the plants yesterday from Albany Aquarium (love the place if your in the bay area, it's definitely the best....even though I moved to Eureka, I'll pay the shipping. You can't beat their stock). Anyway, I bought one pot of Glosso, just to try. I don't think I have the lighting, but at least then I will know. I also bought narrow leaf java fern, which was GD expensive (GD=gosh darn ), and I also bought three pots of C. Helferi.....I get these plants on Wednesday, so more pics will be posted then. I already had anubias barteri nana petite, and I will buy some Christmas moss, or Fontinalis....haven't decided yet, for the wood.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have an update. I planted my plants I got from Albany Aquarium....Glossostigma Elatinoides, C. Helferi, Anubias nana petite, and Java fern "Narrow" leaf. I guess we will see how this stuff grows. And today I got my co2 to work and got my Greenleafaquariums bubble counter filled and working. Everything is as it should be. Now to see if the T5HO lighting (30" fixture....2-31 watt bulbs) is strong enough for Glosso.....I don't think so, but I guess I will find out huh.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

For some reason I keep getting "improper image file" when I try to download here, but it's a jpeg I promise, otherwise photobucket would not accept it. You will have to go to my photobucket to view the pics of the tank planted.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you to Flynn for forwarding my message to Orlando from Greenleafaquarium....I appreciate it. With your help and Orlando's I got my bubble counter working and filled. I even put a picture of it on my photobucket for you guys. Thanks again for all your hard work helping me!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

You're copying the wrong link. Don't use the direct link. Copy the one that says "IMG Code" and paste it in here like above.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It has a long way to go as far as growing in, but now with the co2 up and running, it should get going I assume.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode