Fluval Edge 12 Gallon New Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fluval Edge 12 Gallon New Tank

Hey folks,

This is my first Aquarium and first planted tank ever! i have been reading this forum and others for a year and thought id just get an aquarium and get going. This picture is taken on Day #8, today. i want to add more fish...can i at this point?

Equipment:
Fluval Edge 12 gallon sealed glass aquarium
Edge filter with Cycleguard
Cycled with Nutrafin Cycle and Nutrafin Aquaplus water treatments
42 white 7600K high time light LED's
CaribSea Midnight Black Floramax Premium Aquarium Substrate

Day 1:
Added amazon sword plant, baby tears, Hygrophila Angustifolia, cork screw vail and 3 neon Tetras

Day 3:
Added Alternanthera reineckii 'Rosaefolia' and Cryptocoryne spiralis
Neon Tetras died
20% Water Change

Day 4:
Added Three Rasbora, Four Amano Shrimp and a few more 'Rosaefolia'
Used 'Flourish Excel' lowest recommended on daily bases

Day 8 (Today):
Today's Readings: Nitrate & Nitrites = 0; pH=7.5; KH=130; GH=75; NH3/NH4 = little less than .25 mg/L

i want to know when i can add 2 cory cats, 3 oto's, and i need a fish that swims in the middle of the tank, any ideas? The Rasbora occupy the top of the tank and the shrimp hide out in the wood.

Also, im waiting to see if i need a small light strip to grow the baby tears... they look really great for now with just the supplied factory light!

Sincerely,
Planted Tank New Kid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fluval 12 gallon Day 7.jpg
Views:	1351
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	44946  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey interested in your progress, I acquired a Fluval 6gal a few months ago and am considering turning it into a nice planted system. I would add the fish slow, as to not shock your tank, and throw off the nitrogen cycle. 2 corys, wait a week, then something else. Remember the general rule of 1" of fish per gallon. Some may reason with a lot of plants to handle the bio-load you may have more but since its your first tank I would stick with that rule. Hope that helps! Good Luck! I will be looking for success stories with more Fluvals!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

P.S. I gotta say Fluvals sure do look amazing! Love the clean edges, and the clear view from the top where the water meets the glass is stunning! Beautiful set up so far!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDPlanted View Post
P.S. I gotta say Fluvals sure do look amazing! Love the clean edges, and the clear view from the top where the water meets the glass is stunning! Beautiful set up so far!
Thanks DTD for the feedback! And yes, i hope they come out with a larger tank system because the 6 angle view is pretty cool filled with plants!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello Everyone,

My Fluval Edge 12 gallon tank has had a slight whitish tint to the water, all water levels are good, and i just added Acurul F to the tank for the 2nd day and the tank is now way more cloudy. i called Hagen USA and they said to NOT do a water change for a month with a new tank. Have you guys heard anything about NOT doing water changes? This goes against what ive been told by my local fish guys and all the forums i have read.

Please advise! Thanks a bunch!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Planted Member

It sound like you are adding fish way to fast. I would wait a little longer before you start adding more fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode