The Planted Tank Forum banner

37G Column Viv for Avicularia

16K views 107 replies 30 participants last post by  Asu1776 
#1 ·
37G Column Viv for Avicularia

This is a quick start on a journal thread for this viv setup that I have been working on for a little while now. I already have plants and most everything else in it.

My intention is to keep a single Avicularia sp. tarantula in here. Avicularia are South American/Caribbean arboreal spiders and among the most attractive of tarantulas. Here is a Wikipedia, Creative Commons picture of A. versicolor...

I was working on the setup some more tonight and got a quick picture here of the top rear panel with fan, knob handle, hygrometer and thermometer.

I am trying to source an adult or sub-adult spider to introduce to the tank. I haven't settled with any particular species, but that A. versicolor would be a nice one to use.

See less See more
#19 ·
I used to have a red tarantula when I was 22 or so, black and red but not nearly as striking as the photo of the one you want. I made the mistake of giving it a mouse to eat (I was 22 and stupid) but I got repaid because he killed it then sat on it drinking for a week and it stunk so bad, anyway I had to go in his cage and take him off the mouse and I was scared to death and choking, so stick to crickets.

#25 ·
Those plants in that last photo are in a different growout enclosure. I just threw that picture up there because it had some nice foliage.

I have spent some time looking at pictures of enclosures with tarantulas to get an idea of how the Avicularia tend to web. I hope that this one will web mainly up in the tops of the manzanita branches and not so much in the plants.

Hope you can get it today, good luck. Those plants are gorgeous.
Thanks!

#27 ·
Well the single A. versicolor that they had was sold, but I picked up a single A. diversipes sling. It's only ~.75" long and it's going to take me a while to grow it up.

I still hope to find an adult or near-adult spider to use as a display animal in this setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.