Yesterday I scored my first new epiphyte for use in this tank, a nice specimen of Aerangis biloba for twenty bucks. It's a good-sized plants about 6" wide, but it has a growth habit and flowering habit that should fit well in this enclosure.
The foliage is really cool too. Each leaf has a pair of uneven lobes at the end and a dark reticulating vein pattern. At first glance I thought it was a small Platycerium fern.
I hope that it will do well in this viv. The care requirements sound more or less compatible. It is a shade plant, so I might mount it beneath a Tillandsia or other plant positioned higher on the manzanita branches.
I am going to get back to replanting this thing pretty soon. Since she molted the avic has spent less of her time inside of her silk tube, so I will feel less bad about wrecking it. I will work fast and replace everything so she can build a new one if she wants to.
Well I removed the Panama hat plant, the Schismatoglottis and the philo and now you can see the manzanita a lot better. I also added five different Tillandsia and that Aerangis biloba orchid.
I removed the silk tube. The spider hasn't been using it much anymore and I think she built it mainly for molting. I am going to have to think some more about how to arrange these epiphytic plants to get a nice visual arrangement. I might add one or two more manzanita branches because there is too much empty space on the top right-hand side.
This setup was just sitting messy-looking for a few months, but I decided to clean it up and rearrange things a couple of weeks ago. The spider is still in there, but she is hiding in one of the rear top corners. She likes the glass the best: it's too bad she doesn't like to climb on the manzanita much. I have some pretty cool plants in here.