The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nick's ADA 120-P Journal "THE SEQUEL" - Updated 4/29/14 **NEW SCAPE**

179K views 693 replies 105 participants last post by  erimar 
#1 · (Edited)
7/17/13 - Foreground has come back full force since the many months of neglect. Since the last update, I managed to get the tank back on weekly NPK and killed off all the spyro algae and now everything is nice and green once again.

I've got plans to redo this tank with a brand new scape, but we'll just have to see how much time I have.

5/13/13 - iPhone VID - This is as low maintenance as it's gonna get. I dose NPK and micros about once a week if I remember and do 50% water change once a month, if any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhIN9CBags

Old tank, new scape. This time around I was able to get my hands on some excellent seiryu stones to go along with it. The wood used is the same wood from my old scape. All I did was cut the branches into individual pieces which enabled me to stick em where they looked best for me. I then stacked the rocks on top/in between to help hold them in place. I think it worked out fairly well for this scape.

I spent about 5 hours on Saturday morning from catching all the fish to scooping out every little bit of substrate out. I was beat! Sunday I spent 4 hrs setting up the new hardscape, planting/tying moss, and filling up the tank. Here are some of the pics from this weekend:

1. After a long morning of "project teardown River Wild" :eek5: Scrubbed down, corner to corner.

2. The day after. Soil is in and sloped appropriately.

3. Hardscape is IN! w00t w00t!

4. Plants are planted and moss tied.

5. Fill'R up! Look at that silt! Not to worry tho, my filter took care of it real quick :).

6. Couple hours after fill up. Now we wait for her to fill in.

I will update this post with a plant and equipment list soon. I used a lot of my old plants along with a few new ones. Nothing special.

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#437 ·
They were actually fine in my planted tank.
Mine loved it. They would hide in bush's of plants and behind driftwood and such.
And come swimming out to each there food.

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

#438 ·
Meh, my rummynose can go pretty nuts over floating flake. They're such voracious eaters, they bite EVERYTHING that comes in the tank. Snails, droppers, my fingers if I keep them in long enough. Tetras have appetites. :)

#439 ·
Piranhas get too big for my taste. Especially for this sized tank since I usually like keeping larger schools. I've kept some red bellies before and they became rather boring after they got bigger. They just became lazy and didn't swim as much as they did when they were smaller.

I like the smaller size of these Exodons. :)

#446 ·
:proud:

Not really one here anymore Nick, but happened to stop by to check up on your tank.....PM me if you can't find any Exadons.
I'm not on as often anymore either. I'll def let you know if I can't find any. Thanks bro! Good to see you're still around.

Fish shot for a pic update.

#447 ·
New pics

Fissidens fontanis

I'm still not good with names on the riparium plants, but here are some closeups.

In tank closup - check out the C. pahang mutated nurii peeking out left center there.

Angels

FTS

Top view

Thanks for looking.

#454 ·
Tank looks great Nick
Thanks guys!

I knew it! The damn secret man cave strikes again!!!
lol I just wish it was more like a real cave instead of a closet. :icon_eek:

Did that fissidens cling on by itself like your last scape?

Are you gonna do anything about those riparium pots that are just sticking out?

Other than that, everything looks superb
The fissidens grew back out after I did a full trim from my last scape. It's spreading again, slowly but surely. This stuff just love it in here, same with the mini xmas moss that I traded you.

What's there to do? Black background maybe?

#455 ·
Lol your mini Xmas moss is slowly starting to like it in my tank. A roseline died since it got stuck in a small gap between the wall and the mesh. Did some readjusting.

I think you can add some moss on each pot so that it drapes down a bit? Sorta like weeping moss. Or have that background plant you have there moved so it covers the pots.

Black background would work too. However I like the clear background with your wall on the other side as well.

#467 ·
This is an awesome ADA P120 rimless low iron glass tank. It don't need no stinkin' background. Let your scape and background plants hide the riparium pots. ;)

#469 ·
lol you're absolutely right, but after putting on the smoked vinyl I'm liking it :p.

Nick, if you get a chance, could you post a full shot of the tank without flash? I'm trying to see how different a non-flash shot would look from a shot with a properly used off-shoe flash. Thanks!
Kiran - not all my shots were with flash. I'll post up a new shot for you guys in a bit.

#475 ·
lol I can't find any solid black vinyl, otherwise I'd get some. Blue is cool if you can get the gradient blue.

Actually now that I see it, I think I like the smoke instead of complete black. Where did you get it? (aka I want to buy some too, lol)
Got it at Home Depot in the window tint section. :) Go get some!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.