Treants - 155 Dirt build (56K) It's Flooded! - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Could you explain to me how that overflow box works? Like how does it start siphoning the water? I don't get how it can get water over the water line. Thanks!

Any plans on Fauna?
The overflow box works via siphon, there is an aqualifter pump that sucks the air and water out of the "U" shaped channel creating a vacuum that allows the water to flow through the channel. The only bad design of HOB OF boxes is that this is the point of failure in the system. Pump goes out and, well you can get the picture...

I'm thinking of about 50 cherry shrimp to start, add a bunch of ottos, and then I'd like to add about 5-6 dozen small schooling fish, maybe tetras. I was thinking of Cardinals, but now I'm pondering a different coloring. Orange, Red? Ideas are welcome here.

Quote:
Cover the OF body opening to baffle the sound
The OF actually has a cover over the outlet tubes with a "silencer" thingy. I have taped this all up to seal it and that has helped quite a bit.

Quote:
Replacing the stock stand pipes with piping; 1st taller, 2nd shorter with a valve inline. I dialed the flow restriction to flood the active drain. Basically running a single drain tuned to the pumps return flow with the second for safety if a blockage happens at the valve.
I might try adding some pipe with drilled holes to bring the water level up some over the outlets. Thanks for the ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the Feedback! I can't wait to get some livestock in here.

Replaced the lights this morning, and like WOW, what a difference.

Old (AquaMedic PlantGrow):

New (Geisemann midday and aquaflora). These bulbs put out way more light!:

better start measuring the PAR and adjusting those, they look way too bright.

I also fixed the overflow. No more flushing and gurgling! Ended up drilling out a hole in some bulkhead strainers and using some RO hard plastic line to break the siphon effect. Constant flow and level with just a slight bubbling sound. Lots better than it was. Thanks for all the ideas on the HOB OF.

post #63 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Planted Member

How did planting go with that mesh in there, btw?

--
post #64 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchimedesTheDog View Post
How did planting go with that mesh in there, btw?
Worked great, kinda give you a sense of how far to poke the plants down into the cap. I replanted a few things and the roots were growing through the mesh just fine. You will need to cut the roots off once flooded if you ever move a plant though, those plant roots will really grab and hold onto that mesh. It holds the mud in place really well.
post #65 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, with these new bulbs, the pars levels are crazy. After raising the lights up to 32 inches above the substrate here are the results as measured from the substrate. Note that the back of the tank is about 3-4 inches higher than the front and sides:

Should I go higher yet? That's some pretty high par values. I have the CO2 cranked, drop checkers are yellow so no limitations there. Water parameters are:
dGH: 5
dKH: 4
N: 10 ppm
P: 1 ppm
post #66 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You definitely might want to a little bit. I would bump the K to 30 ppm as it does no harm and keep your N at 10 ppm.
post #67 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, raised the lights up another 4 inches. this puts it at 36 inches from the substrate:

This looks about right, Medium light in most all places except the back middle.
post #68 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A school of maybe 100 cardinals would be nice considering how big your tank is. You can get them from Msjinkzd(Rachel) as they're tank-raised. Much hardier than wild ones and cheaper than most LFS's. I think she's out of stock though.

Ever thought of roselines? Although they might do a little harm to the foreground when feeding.
post #69 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 10-11

Things are starting to grow like crazy, still adjusting CO2 levels, adding circulation pumps, and doing 50% water changes every 2 days. I now have 3 ottos, 10 cherry shrimp and 1 amano shrimp in there. Starting to see a little bit of browning on some leaves, I'm adding Co2 every day just a bit until it settles down to the correct level.

The problem is getting the CO2 levels low enough before the lights come on for the day. Drop checker is lime green atm.

post #70 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Algae Grower

Wow beautiful tank! I must say though, your old bulb really bring out the warm and color of the red plants.
post #71 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback!

I ended up unplugging the 2 CFL's on the ends of the lights. Way too much light for just starting out. maybe after the tank matures I'll turn them back on, but without the 2 lights on the end it dropped the Par quite a bit on those ends. Starting to see some melt on some of the HC, I contribute this to the CO2 levels still being tweaked. Started to add Florish Excel at normal dosing to act as a buffer until I get the levels corrected. I have the CO2 coming on now about 2 hours before the lighting period. PH starts out in the morning around 7.4 and will drop down to 6.4 when the lights come on. Over the course of the day, the PH will drop to it's lowest of 6.3. Drop checker is lime green to greenish yellow in the area with the least circulation. I'm also thinking that I should have added some bacteria to the filter to jump start it, will do that after I change out and clean the socks tomorrow. I'm also thinking of mowing the HC to get rid of some of the bad spots.
post #72 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Algae Grower

Your tank looks great! Truly an inspiration! I will be DSMing a 55 gal in a few weeks so I really enjoyed following your experience

My planted 55 gallon
post #73 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Beautiful looking start, sounds like the CO2 is dialed in just fine. You may need to adjust your dosing of micros and macros, including Ca, Fe and Mg to get it all to settle in.
post #74 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 15

Trimmed twice now. I had some issues with CO2, but I think I have it dialed in correct now. I also put some aluminum screen over the top to diffuse the light, that dropped the PAR about 20% down to 45 on the sides and 65-70 in the middle. I've added quite a few more shrimp, now have 60-70 RCS, they are very happy and busy. Added 2 SAE's and a few more tetras. The moss on the trees is filling in nicely.

post #75 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 02:04 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
I have to sheepishly admit that I hate all bowfront tanks. Except yours. It is truly magnificent, Dutch. It's a testament to your dedication.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode