Geniusdudekiran's ADA Mini S Iwagumi "Treeless Mountain" Updated 12.02.12 - Page 81 - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What carpet plant should I use?
HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides) 10 58.82%
UG (Utricularia graminifolia) 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1201 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
@marko@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: livingston, nj
Posts: 5,693
looking good kiran
and that blyxa is really growing for you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
Well when you put it that way, then I guess it does fit my schedule. I do dose ferts 6 days a week, but that takes like a minute. It's only when I run into problems (algae, CO2 system issues, which are usually self-inflicted) that I end up doing stuff during the week. When I do trim, I usually trim on Friday afternoon or evening, then do my water change on Saturday morning. It's like clockwork. It feels weird if I don't stick to that schedule. If anything, I spend too much time with my face up against the glass like a little kid watching the shrimp swim around or looking at my schooling rasboras from across the room while spacing out. Lol.
totally get what you mean.
i have an animal repro exam tuesday, but i find my new CPDs much more interesting than the textbook.
@marko@ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1202 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
AUvet14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
totally get what you mean.
i have an animal repro exam tuesday, but i find my new CPDs much more interesting than the textbook.
Haha. Yeah... I have a comprehensive reproductive medicine final tomorrow, comprehensive urinary medicine final tuesday, and a surgery practicum final exam on wednesday... and just about anything is way more interesting than studying right now. Lol.
AUvet14 is offline  
post #1203 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
looking good kiran
and that blyxa is really growing for you.

totally get what you mean.
i have an animal repro exam tuesday, but i find my new CPDs much more interesting than the textbook.
Thanks Marko! I love the blyxa. Let me know if/when you get those CPDs to breed for you

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline  
post #1204 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: L.I. New York
Posts: 51
Tank is looking good.

Oh the joys of school!!! Watching the tanks is relaxing, (specially frogs, watching them hunt is better than tv), but having planted my first tank last night, I can confidently say i did not enjoy that. lol So tedious and time consuming.

The anticipation of getting the tank one step closer to the end goal was enough motivation to get me through a 12 hour day stuck in a cad lab. Balancing weight distribution in a 910 foot car carrier will easily make you lose your mind!

What is the setup you are using for your C02? I was going to do DIY on the tak i just set up, and then pressurized on another i planned on setting up in a few months. But this might end up being my only tank for a while so might as well spend the money for C02 to make my life easier.
plantednano is offline  
post #1205 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
@marko@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: livingston, nj
Posts: 5,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Thanks Marko! I love the blyxa. Let me know if/when you get those CPDs to breed for you
the majority of those CPDs are no longer with us as of 2 hours ago. kinda ironic you posted this just now...
check my thread if you want the grim details.

they tend to breed readily in aquariums, but also tend to eat their eggs and fry unless moved out quickly.
during the spring ill be raising a new brood of bettas, and if i choose not to make a F3 generation, then i may choose to make a CPD spawning tank instead. if i do and its successful, ill make sure to let you know.
btw, never got a pic of that p. helferi flower...
@marko@ is offline  
post #1206 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantednano View Post
Tank is looking good.

Oh the joys of school!!! Watching the tanks is relaxing, (specially frogs, watching them hunt is better than tv), but having planted my first tank last night, I can confidently say i did not enjoy that. lol So tedious and time consuming.

The anticipation of getting the tank one step closer to the end goal was enough motivation to get me through a 12 hour day stuck in a cad lab. Balancing weight distribution in a 910 foot car carrier will easily make you lose your mind!

What is the setup you are using for your C02? I was going to do DIY on the tak i just set up, and then pressurized on another i planned on setting up in a few months. But this might end up being my only tank for a while so might as well spend the money for C02 to make my life easier.
Thanks! I'm using a Jaggedfury style paintball rig; easy, cheap, decently efficient, in combination with my ADA diffuser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
the majority of those CPDs are no longer with us as of 2 hours ago. kinda ironic you posted this just now...
check my thread if you want the grim details.

they tend to breed readily in aquariums, but also tend to eat their eggs and fry unless moved out quickly.
during the spring ill be raising a new brood of bettas, and if i choose not to make a F3 generation, then i may choose to make a CPD spawning tank instead. if i do and its successful, ill make sure to let you know.
btw, never got a pic of that p. helferi flower...
Ouch... will do. I have posted the photos that I promised on your Facebook wall, sorry it took me so long! Remind me next time, lol!

Mini Update





As I'm sure you can tell, the tank is essentially the same every week but filling in little by little, lol.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline  
post #1207 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 AM
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,234
Looking great, Kiran. That's some serious growth from back in the early days of the tank.

Have been wondering something about that fixture, though. How much heat does it put off? Any impact on water temperature?
somewhatshocked is offline  
post #1208 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Looking great, Kiran. That's some serious growth from back in the early days of the tank.

Have been wondering something about that fixture, though. How much heat does it put off? Any impact on water temperature?
Thanks, Jake! It certainly is, and it's a lot lower maintenance, as well (ahhh... ).

Good question. The light went off some ten minutes ago for the night, and I just got up to touch it to see for you. The bulb and fixture are cool to the touch. Tomorrow when it's running I'll do the same. I will say, though, that when I'm doing trims, if my arm makes contact with the fixture for even about a minute, it's not painful or a bother, just warm. So I would say that it has no significant impact on the temperature of the tank (not that it could get much warmer here for December, 76*F!).

And finally, I never really congratulated you on your new administrative duties, so congratulations!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline  
post #1209 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
AUvet14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Thanks, Jake! It certainly is, and it's a lot lower maintenance, as well (ahhh... ).

Good question. The light went off some ten minutes ago for the night, and I just got up to touch it to see for you. The bulb and fixture are cool to the touch. Tomorrow when it's running I'll do the same. I will say, though, that when I'm doing trims, if my arm makes contact with the fixture for even about a minute, it's not painful or a bother, just warm. So I would say that it has no significant impact on the temperature of the tank (not that it could get much warmer here for December, 76*F!).

And finally, I never really congratulated you on your new administrative duties, so congratulations!
It was about that warm today here in Auburn, AL, at least before the storm front moved through. Now it's cooling off. I swear, sometimes I wonder why I even bother having a heater in my tank. Idk if it will ever cool off this year.

What's that plant you're using in the back left? It almost looks like rotala rotundifolia maybe?
AUvet14 is offline  
post #1210 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 AM
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,234
Thanks!

That's great to hear. Have got one of those fixtures sitting in storage and am thinking about using it for some macro algae but was concerned about heat output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Thanks, Jake! It certainly is, and it's a lot lower maintenance, as well (ahhh... ).

Good question. The light went off some ten minutes ago for the night, and I just got up to touch it to see for you. The bulb and fixture are cool to the touch. Tomorrow when it's running I'll do the same. I will say, though, that when I'm doing trims, if my arm makes contact with the fixture for even about a minute, it's not painful or a bother, just warm. So I would say that it has no significant impact on the temperature of the tank (not that it could get much warmer here for December, 76*F!).

And finally, I never really congratulated you on your new administrative duties, so congratulations!
somewhatshocked is offline  
post #1211 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
It was about that warm today here in Auburn, AL, at least before the storm front moved through. Now it's cooling off. I swear, sometimes I wonder why I even bother having a heater in my tank. Idk if it will ever cool off this year.

What's that plant you're using in the back left? It almost looks like rotala rotundifolia maybe?
Crazy stuff, I can believe it. I don't have a heater in any of my tanks. No need for one here, really.

Presumably you mean the back right (and all along through the center)? That would be Rotala colorata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Thanks!

That's great to hear. Have got one of those fixtures sitting in storage and am thinking about using it for some macro algae but was concerned about heat output.
Super. It's a great light fixture, the perfect mix of sleek, modern design and industrial construction.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline  
post #1212 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
AUvet14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 455
Haha. Yes. Back right. Sorry, been studying all night and will be up even later. Not thinking straight. Lol. So will it color up more as it gets taller and more mature? Which lily pipes are those? ADA OR DO!AQUA? I'm debating between Do!Aqua and Cal Aqua Labs fluxus nano pipes for my GLA 36-L (mini m size).

Sent from my HTC One S
AUvet14 is offline  
post #1213 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jkan0228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 5,485
Nice Kiran!

That growth from the Blyxa and HC is amazing. I think you should replace the entire back with Blyxa
jkan0228 is offline  
post #1214 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Nice Kiran!

That growth from the Blyxa and HC is amazing. I think you should replace the entire back with Blyxa
Thanks Jeff! I've since trimmed the blyxa as it was beginning to get far too thick for my liking. Here's a nice trimmed-up, pruned, glass-cleaned shot


"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline  
post #1215 of 1323 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Redwood city, CA
Posts: 125
lol i just noticed that the gtr has taken the place of the lambo. im a big gtr fan. the tank looks phenomenal too. i have that same light
Tcal01 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome