Geniusdudekiran's ADA Mini S Iwagumi "Treeless Mountain" Updated 12.02.12 - Page 76 - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What carpet plant should I use?
HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides) 10 58.82%
UG (Utricularia graminifolia) 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1126 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

hey i see some orange on a few of the stems of the r. colorata
keep up the light/co2 and micros and its should spread onto the leaves and youll have nice colorful growth tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1127 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
very nice
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
hey i see some orange on a few of the stems of the r. colorata
keep up the light/co2 and micros and its should spread onto the leaves and youll have nice colorful growth tips.
Yep, I need to up Fe still. Since I use RM OneStep, I'll need to up all fertilization or switch completely over to some different fertilization regime. Once the red fills in, it'll be really nice.

I have up on getting the erio to flower, it just stopped growing for about four days so I plucked it. The tank looks much more composed now... I trimmed bad that blyxa bush a tad too. Such a neat plant.

I got the plants, by the way. They look great. I still need to get your Wabi Kusa balls out, crazy week.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
post #1128 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can dose additional Fe separately. Just buy some flourish Fe or other iron suppliment and dose it in addition. Just maybe dose it at a different time of the day.
post #1129 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Or dry dose Iron chelate. Do you find that R. colorata grows in green, while the rest gets redder?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #1130 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
You can dose additional Fe separately. Just buy some flourish Fe or other iron suppliment and dose it in addition. Just maybe dose it at a different time of the day.
Yep, I knew that SeaChem made some sort of Fe supplement, I just didn't know the name. I'll get some as soon as I can, hopefully tomorrow (hopefully PetSmart has it, otherwise I won't be able to get it until a little later...).

The colorata has added great balance to the tank, though, chemically. No more of that algae all the time. Stems are the best fert hogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Or dry dose Iron chelate. Do you find that R. colorata grows in green, while the rest gets redder?
I'll look into that too, thanks. I notice precisely the opposite: the older growth stays green while the new growth comes in redder.

post #1131 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Algae Grower

Whenever I want to make my plants redder I always blast them with more light. And more Fe, of course.

I really got inspired by this tank. Made me think, is it possible to create dutch style layout with lots of colors, different leave types in a small tank. hmmm... maybe I should try with my Mini M.
post #1132 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3hybrid View Post
Whenever I want to make my plants redder I always blast them with more light. And more Fe, of course.

I really got inspired by this tank. Made me think, is it possible to create dutch style layout with lots of colors, different leave types in a small tank. hmmm... maybe I should try with my Mini M.
a good place to start would be with rotala mini type II for pink, and rotala mini type I for dark green. light green is easy.
post #1133 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3hybrid View Post
Thanks! This tank is obviously not a Dutch style scape, but nano-Dutches are highly underrated. My first real, composed aquascape (well, my second, I suppose) was my Fluval Spec, which was a Dutch scape. Even in such a small space (approx. 6"x6"x10" IIRC), I was able to produce a dense and thick aquascape. I had to tear it down eventually due to algae issues and a few other things I did really wrong, but the experience I gained from that tank taught me how to produce a succesful (and relatively stable) aquascape in some two gallons of water.

Saturday night, I'm bored, tank is looking great after a little trim, the recipe for photos. I never do long exposure shots but thought I should try it. I'll let you guys be the judge.

Room lights on.

Room lights off.

Frontal shots.

Different perspectives.

Absolutely lovin' my Blyxa! I knew that once it grew out, it'd look great! Another example of patience paying off in this hobby.

post #1134 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Psssstt, clean your pipes, wipe down your glass with a credit card
post #1135 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Talking

This is a great journal to read, I love the documentation!

Beautiful to see it progress, I have to say.

I was reading you were looking into building your own stainless steel maintenance stand, did you ever find one or fabricate one?
I was looking for something similar and came across the Gush Aqua Tool Holder. I think the price in usd was $20.
http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/m.../o/tools_3.jpg
http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/m...ool_holder.jpg
post #1136 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Psssstt, clean your pipes, wipe down your glass with a credit card
I need to start work on a little something to make cleaning lily pipes easier. You can test it out for me when it's ready

The glass is clean though, what are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
This is a great journal to read, I love the documentation!

Beautiful to see it progress, I have to say.

I was reading you were looking into building your own stainless steel maintenance stand, did you ever find one or fabricate one?
I was looking for something similar and came across the Gush Aqua Tool Holder. I think the price in usd was $20.
http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/m.../o/tools_3.jpg
http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/m...ool_holder.jpg
Thanks! I've enjoyed every second of working with and owning this tank, from scaping it to planting to maintenance to plainly watching it progress. Every tank I start I progress farther into the hobby, but this one has brought me ahead more than any of my previous tanks.

I was looking into it, but frankly, I forgot about it. For that price I might go ahead and buy that one (though this is not usually my personality ). I should look into building a different one (read "better one" )...

Update today or tomorrow. Tank is looking nice. HC really needs a trim.

post #1137 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's a weaken Kiran. I want one of those Gush tool holders too. In a recent thread someone who get gush stuff ( I can't remember the name) said it would be about $50 or something.

I just got some lily pipes from Martin, they are just like yours.
post #1138 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great work. Seems like a cool "office" setup you got going there. I wish I had an extra room for an office/tank room. I would post posters like you did as well. It looks so relaxing to me.

CURRENT: 12 Gallon Long, ADA mini M "Reborn", 75 gal Cichlid Tank
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com
post #1139 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
That's a weaken Kiran. I want one of those Gush tool holders too. In a recent thread someone who get gush stuff ( I can't remember the name) said it would be about $50 or something.

I just got some lily pipes from Martin, they are just like yours.
Was it Clay? I'll ask him. In the meantime I will research constructing some of my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptKeeper54 View Post
Great work. Seems like a cool "office" setup you got going there. I wish I had an extra room for an office/tank room. I would post posters like you did as well. It looks so relaxing to me.
Thanks! Since the room is the headquarters of wkguy.com I guess it qualifies as my office! Lol.

You don't need an extra room for a nano, though. This "office" doubles as my bedroom (or the other way around, I guess) If you ever order things from AFA or ADG, you get a couple books/catalogues. I just put those under the knife to make the posters.

post #1140 of 1323 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i dont remember, lol. just search for it or something because i think it was yesterday i saw it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode