Geniusdudekiran's ADA Mini S Iwagumi "Treeless Mountain" Updated 12.02.12 - Page 36 - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What carpet plant should I use?
HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides) 10 58.82%
UG (Utricularia graminifolia) 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #526 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Vacation photos look nice, new red plants look even better. I can sort of imagine a sloping, hilly looking background flowing from the D. diandra to the L. pantanal and finally to the rock/HC. I think it'll turn out quite well once it grows in more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #527 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

you have given in to the temptation of STEMS.
love the splash of color you added with the ludwiga, however, it might look a touch better if you switched its place with that of the d. diandra. generally you want the broader leaved plants, and the colorful plants more to the sides, and the greener plants with more narrow leaves toward the center, but ive seen some awesome tanks that totally ignored this.

dude, that intake needs some work. its almost as bad as mine, but i at least hide the grime with good ol' ehiem sewage-green tubing.

love the iguanas. im determined to get one as a pet eventually (preferably a red variant of iguana iguana.
post #528 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #529 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Vacation photos look nice, new red plants look even better. I can sort of imagine a sloping, hilly looking background flowing from the D. diandra to the L. pantanal and finally to the rock/HC. I think it'll turn out quite well once it grows in more.
Thanks! I have a few hundred but I only put up a couple because let's face it, there's nothing more boring than looking at other peoples vacation photos in massive amounts, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
you have given in to the temptation of STEMS.
love the splash of color you added with the ludwiga, however, it might look a touch better if you switched its place with that of the d. diandra. generally you want the broader leaved plants, and the colorful plants more to the sides, and the greener plants with more narrow leaves toward the center, but ive seen some awesome tanks that totally ignored this.

dude, that intake needs some work. its almost as bad as mine, but i at least hide the grime with good ol' ehiem sewage-green tubing.

love the iguanas. im determined to get one as a pet eventually (preferably a red variant of iguana iguana.
haha, I guess so. I needed some height to the tank, it gives more depth. I may have to add just one more stem plant to keep things odd. I wish I could switch them but for what it's worth, it'd be a nightmare uprooting, replanting, etc. It'll be interesting to see what I do with this now, because honestly I don't know Shoot first, ask questions later, right?

Haha yeah, I know. It's about time I clean out the entire actual filter body, like the filter media too. I'm seeing decreased flow.

The iguanas were awesome, I guess that's kinda what Saint Thomas is known for. Iguanas and being just like India, but without... Indian people . Seriously, the way people drive, the environment, the smells, the entire atmosphere if the place is like India. Lol.

On a side note, people keep telling me that a few of the pics of the iguanas I took are "National Geographic Quality"... What do you guys think of this, and does anyone know of any good online photo competitions?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
post #530 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
nice photos! i love the additional plants!!
Ninja'd me! lol

Thanks for the compliments man! I've got tank photography down just right for this aquarium now I think. Generally with the ambient lighting in my room at any given time 1/50 sec. @ f/4.5 works wonders!

post #531 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:33 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

What, no vacation shrimp? Shaaaaame.

And that Pantanal looks terrific. Provides a really nice burst.
post #532 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

muahaha ninja'd!

ive never even thought of trying it at such a low speed! i should try that! i always just tried to get as much light as i could with my OB flash! ill have to try that!! do your fish get blurry though?

i love the reflection on the exceptionally clean desk!
post #533 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
What, no vacation shrimp? Shaaaaame.

And that Pantanal looks terrific. Provides a really nice burst.
I enjoyed some nice shrimp on the cruise -- grilled, fried, cocktailed (lol) you name it. Oh, wait...

Thanks!

Quote:
muahaha ninja'd!

ive never even thought of trying it at such a low speed! i should try that! i always just tried to get as much light as i could with my OB flash! ill have to try that!! do your fish get blurry though?

i love the reflection on the exceptionally clean desk!
I have very steady hands Sometimes I shoot as low as 1/10 sec. with no tripod with fine results, but I don't like to do that. And certainly not with a telephoto lol.

Windex ftw!

The fish sometimes get a bit blurry, but my main emphasis is on the tank and aquascaping as of this second. But I think I'll get 7 Boraras brigittae to fix that and even it out a bit in the near future. My only fear with doing that is that the tank may become too "busy". Maybe I'll start with 5 and decide then if 2 more will be too much.

post #534 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

dang you must have steady hands! i can shoot at 1/50 free handed, but when its zoomed in, its not crystal clear. and im a nazi for crystal clear photos! LOL!

WINDEXXX!! HAHAH WE SHOULD HAVE A WINDEX PIMP CLUB:p
post #535 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
i can shoot at 1/50 free handed, but when its zoomed in, its not crystal clear. and im a nazi for crystal clear photos! LOL!
Haha, then I'm the Hitl -- nevermind

post #536 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #537 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
haha, I guess so. I needed some height to the tank, it gives more depth. I may have to add just one more stem plant to keep things odd. I wish I could switch them but for what it's worth, it'd be a nightmare uprooting, replanting, etc. It'll be interesting to see what I do with this now, because honestly I don't know Shoot first, ask questions later, right?

Haha yeah, I know. It's about time I clean out the entire actual filter body, like the filter media too. I'm seeing decreased flow.

The iguanas were awesome, I guess that's kinda what Saint Thomas is known for. Iguanas and being just like India, but without... Indian people . Seriously, the way people drive, the environment, the smells, the entire atmosphere if the place is like India. Lol.
i hear ya.
cant be worse than crypts though. i did one scape in my old 20 long with heavy crypt use, and when i was rescaping i went to pull the crypts. i grabbed one of the motherplants, and lifted. out came 75% of my substrate and everything in it. fish were not happy.
post #538 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Hahaha, if you look at my Ebi's journal, the Crypt lucens in the center -- I uprooted a stray stem of HM the other day on the opposite side of the tank and some of the crypt's roots came out with it, lol. The roots spread all the way around the tank!

post #539 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Your tank looks really nice, did you start with AS only or do you use all the ADA substrate additives?
post #540 of 1323 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Hahaha, if you look at my Ebi's journal, the Crypt lucens in the center -- I uprooted a stray stem of HM the other day on the opposite side of the tank and some of the crypt's roots came out with it, lol. The roots spread all the way around the tank!
swords and vals are crazy too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode