Starphire Rimless 75g (pics page 6) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Starphire Rimless 75g (pics page 6)

I'm not ready to start on my dream tank yet, so I'm working on this project in the meantime. The idea was to make something that felt bigger than it is, yet small enough to easily move. I also wanted minimal equipment in the tank, and for it to look as part of the design itself.

Tank Size
40 x 24 x 18 inches
rimless, no internal bracing
1/2 inch Starphire glass all around, even the bottom!
black silicone seams

The size is what I refer to as a 40BR on steroids. The 40BR has always been a favorite of mine. This is a little taller, a little longer, and a good bit deeper. I think expanding on these dimensions should provide a lot of flexibility in scaping. It measures in at 75g but actual water volume will be just over 60g, not including the sump. As for the glass, it's built from 1/2 inch Starphire for a max safety factor. I chose black silicone as I love the look. Looks more cohesive with the other black components, like the stand and return system.

Equipment
Xaqua Xinout return / wavemaker in black
Metal frame stand in black

I picked the Xaqua Xinout because of it's small size and unique return. The return has no moving parts but pulses the water flow to create waves. The glimmer lines it casts are really nice to look at. (example here) I had to import it from overseas, so I hope it works as well as advertised. The external black box is to hide the silicone hoses that run from the Xaqua down to the sump. The box will be built to match the stand's finish. It will also provide an accessible but not so in-your-face spot to mount the LCD screen controlling the system. I figured it was nicer to have the box outside of the tank than waste space within. It will also provide a nice corner to mask part of the light bar.

I'm still debating on how to tackle the lighting. I'm not sold on LEDs by themselves for a variety of reasons. The idea now is to either use metal halide mains with LEDs as supplemental light, or tight clusters of LEDs as the mains, with dimming T5 for supplement. I like the clean look of hanging lights, but I wanted to stay true to the easily moved part. With the stand being built from square steel, I'll just continue it up to create the light bar. The stand will be enclosed and skinned with panels attached via magnets. That is to allow for easy removal and full access to the cabinet, and make it easy to change the color/material to match future rooms and decor.

Below is a quick mockup of the tank. Tank is scheduled for delivery beginning of April. Stand is still being designed.

Last edited by prototyp3; 11-26-2013 at 06:13 AM. Reason: title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 AM
Algae Grower

Wow! That will be a nice one. When I do a large tank, I want Starphire glass.
post #3 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Planted Member

Looks like a great project, love the black silicone touch. Sounds like a really nice tank with your dimensions and the starphire. I am watching this one.
post #4 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Can't wait to see it when you get it in! one of these days when I have room I am going to design a large shallowish tank that you can circle around.

I would agree probably no LEDs, t5 with the proper reflectors should work great!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #5 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Wow.

Awesome plan. I can't wait to follow this build and progress.
post #6 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm pretty excited to see the tank at my doorstep. It's going to be a loooong month.

I'm inquiring about having a glass sump built with black silicone to match the tank. Going to get that designed asap as I don't want to delay things. Going for a versatile design that's both salt and fresh water friendly. It will have a fitted top to reduce CO2 loss and help muffle noise. Also planning a chamber to hold additional plant mass to out compete algae.

And because journals are boring without pics, here is a shot of the Xaqua system.

The hoses are silicone and extremely flexible. I will certainly be using silicone on all canisters in the future. The internal ribbing is supposed to help silence the water flow by reducing turbulence. Not sure about the science involved, but if it works, great! The drain box in tank is only 2.5 x 3 x 2 inches.
post #7 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Planted Member

Hmm I see why your name is prototyp3, very innovative stuff here. The skinnable stand is a very cool idea and can't wait to see the lightbar.

What kind of flora/fauna are you thinking for this setup?
post #8 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is awesome! I want to know how it turns out!
post #9 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I really like the design. What is the reasoning for the outflow on the side? Is it just so it flows lengthwise? I think it look great as per the design but if their is no big downside having it in back, that would look nicer.

Another thing would be the MH or LED's. If the Xaqua Xinout (awesome/hilarious commercial btw) works as well as that, it my get annoying to look at with a MH only setup, much less LED's. If it were me, I would want some amount of florescent so it's not too "shimmery". I have done the opposite, adding LED's to a tank with T5's and it gives the shimmer without being to much. I get a headache looking at LED tanks with a lot of surface movement personally.

That said, I think this should be super awesome. The dimensions are really nice. I am a big fan of all black as well. Design looks modern and appealing.
post #10 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
Hmm I see why your name is prototyp3, very innovative stuff here. The skinnable stand is a very cool idea and can't wait to see the lightbar.

What kind of flora/fauna are you thinking for this setup?
Thanks man.

Not sure on the contents yet. I'm really battling with the idea of trying a reef finally. The colorful fish and a new challenge is exciting. But then again I fully plan to be moving again, so that's not something you can rush. And I absolutely loved keeping a large school of rummynose. I've been drawing up some ideas of a substrate free planted tank. Weird, I know.. I'll post more on that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
This is awesome! I want to know how it turns out!
Thanks. I'm just hoping the tank turns out how I'm picturing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I really like the design. What is the reasoning for the outflow on the side? Is it just so it flows lengthwise? I think it look great as per the design but if their is no big downside having it in back, that would look nicer.

Another thing would be the MH or LED's. If the Xaqua Xinout (awesome/hilarious commercial btw) works as well as that, it my get annoying to look at with a MH only setup, much less LED's. If it were me, I would want some amount of florescent so it's not too "shimmery". I have done the opposite, adding LED's to a tank with T5's and it gives the shimmer without being to much. I get a headache looking at LED tanks with a lot of surface movement personally.

That said, I think this should be super awesome. The dimensions are really nice. I am a big fan of all black as well. Design looks modern and appealing.
There are a few reasons for the location on the back left corner. The profile of the box and return nozzle are smaller than looking at them straight on. This way also allows me to keep the back glass totally free of tubes and clear. The reason for keeping it clear is have an unobstructed lighted backdrop. That's also why the stand has a larger footprint, so the lights can be recessed in to the stand surface.

Definitely know what you're talking about on the disco lights causing headaches. That's one reason I went with the Xaqua. The large ripples make for less individual shimmer lines. Each lighting plan will have a way to control the shimmer. If I use LEDs for supplement I have 120 degree optics, full dimming capability, and a diffusion screen if it comes to that. I definitely want this tank to be pleasing to look at. I won't let it cause headaches!
post #11 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
There are a few reasons for the location on the back left corner. The profile of the box and return nozzle are smaller than looking at them straight on. This way also allows me to keep the back glass totally free of tubes and clear. The reason for keeping it clear is have an unobstructed lighted backdrop. That's also why the stand has a larger footprint, so the lights can be recessed in to the stand surface.
Sounds even more awesome now.

Quote:
Definitely know what you're talking about on the disco lights causing headaches. That's one reason I went with the Xaqua. The large ripples make for less individual shimmer lines. Each lighting plan will have a way to control the shimmer. If I use LEDs for supplement I have 120 degree optics, full dimming capability, and a diffusion screen if it comes to that. I definitely want this tank to be pleasing to look at. I won't let it cause headaches!
I don't even know much about it, I just have seen enough "disco tanks" to know it can get annoying for myself. Sounds like you put in some thought, even more awesome (I do love me some shimmer, just not too much).
post #12 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The sump is now being built as well. I tried to design it for maximum flexibility in setup, regardless of fresh or saltwater. It is rimless with black silicone to match the display tank. Overall dimensions are 30 x 17 x 15 inches.

Chamber A:
The display tank drains into this chamber. The water level stays constant at just over 10 inches deep. I will be using a filter sock on the drain line. I'm considering the idea of lighting this chamber and stocking with plants capable of strong nutrient uptake. At least until the plant mass in the display take establishes itself.
Otherwise this chamber can just hold equipment like a heaters and internal UV sterilizer. Another option instead of a sock is a removable "bubble tower" that the drain feeds, that could be filled with bio media.

Chamber B:
Each channel is 1 1/2 inches wide. It's main purpose is to keep the water level constant in Chamber A, and prevent bubbles from passing through. I can also use this area for sponges to aid in mechanical filtration.

Chamber C/D:
This is where the return pump is. The water level will fluctuate with evaporation here. There are two 1 inch bulkheads in the baffle separating the chambers. The plan is to pass water from C to D through one bulkhead, and feed the return pump with the other. This will create a linear flow pattern through Chamber D. There will be a removable acrylic basket made to channel this flow, so I could run media when needed.

D will also hold the CO2 reactors. The return pump is a beast, so I'd like to tee off the return line with a gate valve it to feed the reactors. That will allow me to really dial in the best flow rate for CO2 diffusion. Having the outlets of the CO2 reactors feed right into the pump will keep from out gassing via surface agitation. (which I think is over stated and exaggerated personally)
post #13 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

awesome designs. subscribed.

if i had a sump like that, id dump a sponge filter in it somewhere running on a powerhead (cuz airpumps make nasty noise), to have as a just-in-case biomedia. if your power is out, you can attach it to a battery-run airpump.
post #14 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm not ready to start on my dream tank yet, so I'm working on this project in the meantime. The idea was to make something that felt bigger than it is, yet small enough to easily move. I also wanted minimal equipment in the tank, and for it to look as part of the design itself.

Tank Size
40 x 24 x 18 inches
rimless, no internal bracing
1/2 inch Starphire glass all around, even the bottom!
black silicone seams
Who's going to build your tank? Reef Savvy or A.G.E. or ?

Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #15 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
awesome designs. subscribed.

if i had a sump like that, id dump a sponge filter in it somewhere running on a powerhead (cuz airpumps make nasty noise), to have as a just-in-case biomedia. if your power is out, you can attach it to a battery-run airpump.
Thanks. That's a good suggestion. It'd also double a nice drop in filter for quarantine, as I don't have one running 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
Who's going to build your tank? Reef Savvy or A.G.E. or ?
Neither of those actually. AGE I'd use for a big tank. This size is still easy enough to manage in all glass. And Reef Savvy is so booked with orders that I couldn't agree to the wait time. I'm going with a small unknown builder from California. I saw a tank he built so I've got high hopes. If he delivers I'd be happy to share his info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode