G's 12g long planted with new (smaller) driftwood - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got it from a member on the boards. I think i wasn't too sure of the water level and misted too often with saran wrap on all the time.

The lutea looks really nice, with the veins providing color contrast. Its getting hard to pick between the lutea and the undulata now!

on a side note, it was such a nice day that I took a little trip to get my co2 tank filled. yay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

This is terrific. Absolutely love the wood!
post #18 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:35 AM
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
This is terrific. Absolutely love the wood!
That's what she said.

The wood is amazing though.. I subscribed.. can't wait to see this tank develop!
post #19 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA View Post
That's what she said.

I saw some roots going down yesterday so that makes me a happy happy person
post #20 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasob85 View Post
So after weeks (I know it doesn't sound like long, but for me it was quite a test of my patience ) of lurking here and wanting a tank again (with weighing the pro's, my old favorite was a 2.5gallon with a really pathetic light, some java moss, 1 guppy and some shrimp and the con's, sticking my entire arm down a discus tank to clean it) I finally set up a new 12 gallon long tank from gla. This will be my first real planted tank. Hopefully I did enough research but please let me know if there is something that is wrong. Thanks!

Equipment:
Marineland Double Bright LED
Eheim 2115 Filter
Hydor Inline Heater
5lb CO2
I went back and read your original post, I do have a couple of comments..

Your equipment looks good. No problems there.

Quote:
Black sand substrate, going to put in some root tabs and dose EI w/ 50% weekly changes
This raises a bit of concern. I'm not sure that your HC will do well in that substrate.. you should be fine with larger stem plants but HC has really small roots and usually requires nutrient rich substrate, like Aquasoil or similar. Im not sure though.. you could be fine.

Quote:
Flora:
HC
Anubias nana petite
Flame Moss?
Crypt Parva?
some reddish stem(Ludwigia Arcuata?)
Frogbit?(or is this a bad idea with the blocking of light onto the hc)
Looks good!

Quote:
I was going to do some more stems, but ordered too much HC so I'm hoping just a line or 2 of red stems across the back will look decent.

Fauna:
11 Boraras Brigittae or Celestial Pearl Danios
Yellow Shrimp
eventually CRS(I actually like the look of A or S grades with the banding effect better. Am I weird? lol)

I'm leaning towards the boraras because they are red and should pop more with the black background and yellow shrimp to not have too much red with the eventual CRS hopefully.

Got some HC in last night and spent about 2 hours sorting it out. I feel sorry for anyone who has to plant these in water! omg such a pain. I hope they grow well so I'll never have to do this again. I'm gonna dry start them for a month for the roots to take hold and then blast the co2 for another month to get them transitioned well(this will also hopefully wait out the stinkin cycle *sigh*)

Day 1:

Please ignore the rock, that's to prevent the driftwood from floating.

Thanks for reading!

p.s. big thank you to everyone on TPT who I got stuff from(driftwood, prefilters, co2 stuff, plants, fertilizers etc)
post #21 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks. Its always good to know I'm going in the right direction.

So i was trying to get some worms (probably nematodes) off my driftwood and managed to uproot a clump of HC. To my surprise, there were lots of new roots at least 1in. long! Now I'm so tempted to forget the dry start and flood this sucker... It just stares at me and whispers "flood me, flood me" lol I want to go back to the days when I didn't know they made roots already and would float up if I flooded it. Made patience so much easier

btw, got some root tabs earlier, how many would you suggest I put in a tank this size? 3?
post #22 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Day 15 Update:

Wow, I didn't think there was any growth but was pleasantly surprised when comparing with day 1. At this rate, it may not take the full 6 weeks to fill in. Threw in some ferts too

post #23 of 142 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love the driftwood piece!

Can't wait to see everything grown in!

-KC

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!
KC's Uninteresting Tank
post #24 of 142 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 AM
SCAPEr

May I know what ferts your putting? Man I'm a bit jelly cant wait till my HC grows lawn of HC like that! That double LED is a good light.
post #25 of 142 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i used the EI dosing formula but I put the estimated # of gallons as 1. I was thinking that would be overkill but I do have some yellowing that according to pictures would deem it as a nitrate or potassium deficiency. I ended up doing 1 1/64 teaspoon of kno3, 1/4 of 1/64 teaspoon of kh2po4 for two days a week, and 1/4 of the 1/64 teaspoon of csmb 2 days of the week when i replenish the water due to evaporation since I leave the saran wrap off about 2 hours each night to avoid fungus on the driftwood. I do have some green hair algae? growing on the few bare patches of the substrate so I cut my photoperiod down to 12 hours. I may up the amount of ferts to 3 times a week since I do have some yellowing. hope that helps!

edit: my spray bottle is pure water, i use a 30ml syringe to put the fert dosed water in the higher part of the back directly onto rocks only as i read that some ppl's hc grew algae or fungus with a spraybottle of ferts? not too sure if that was the cause or not but its not really an extra amount of work.

yup, i'm pretty pleased with the light. I got it after i saw some other members using it too

can't wait to flood this sucker! need to get some amano shrimp to eat the eyesore of algae :p i think i should hold out for 1-2 more weeks though to get complete carpeting. I took a picture last week of day 21 but forgot to upload it, will upload it along with this week's day 28 pic.
post #26 of 142 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 AM
SCAPEr

Oh okay, so you "injected" the ferts mix with water into the substrate with the needle? Hope I got that right.

Oh yeah I guess I'm going to stop spraying with ferts mix on the spray bottle.
post #27 of 142 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well, i dont use the needle to inject under the substrate as i dont want to stab myself by accident. needle sticks are no fun. i just use the syringe itself to squirt it nice and slow about an inch off the highest part of the substrate as my tank is not completely level. it'll diffuse down anyway and then hopefully the roots can access the nutrients.

My main reason for not using the spray bottle is my driftwood branches get in the way all the time, and i want to keep it dry as i do have some fungus growing on it from time to time. I think you can use the spray bottle to keep things nice and humid since you have a nice open field above your hc? Sorry i'm not much help. I'm a plant noob too lol
post #28 of 142 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Original Eheim 2215 had a really loud humming noise that didn't seem right, vendor took responsibility and sent me a replacement no hassle. I'm one step closer to flooding this sucker woohoo! I did have it cycling in a bucket in the bathroom last week so hopefully nitrites will come down by next week and let me finally fill the tank.

I may do it this week regardless since it is a planted tank and I have co2 all ready to go, but definitely by next week as the HC is starting to have more yellowing and the growth seems to be slowing down? I still see new small green leaves popping up here and there slowly so maybe someone with more experience can chime in?

Forgot to upload last week's picture update so here's 2 for easy comparison

Day 22:

Day 29:

the yellowing is mainly right over .................. here ^ where it looks super bright.
post #29 of 142 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 AM
SCAPEr

Man your HC is super awesome!
Comparing the first picture, until now your HC did grew fast!
btw, may I know how much HC you ordered in the first day? and what method of planting did you use? tweezer? or sprinkle the hc?
post #30 of 142 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Algae Grower

Looks great! I can't wait to see the progress on it.. I'm a fan of 12long tanks by the way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode