10g rimless softwater shrimp aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

10g rimless softwater shrimp aquarium

I always wanted to build a high tech tank, I got my tax return money and here we go! Last week, I went to the local LFS and purchased most of the stuff I needed to setup one up and got the rest of here on the BST forum.

Day 0: Just waiting for some things to come in.

Day 1: Got Glosso and Rotala Nanjenshan in so I filled up the tank partially and started the planting process.

Day 2: Glosso pearling (will trim later once they start growing runners), but happy that they are already growing new leaves after just one day.

Did some re-aquascaping with the substrate (that's why the water is a little murky)...just need the glosso to grow. Also waiting for Eros to come in, which will be planted in front of the rotalas.

Last edited by Psybuster; 04-07-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 3: Got Ero Parkeri in and added a rock for the center piece. Just purchased a few stems of Tonina fluviatilis Lotus Blossom from Crispino which should arrive on Saturday.
Seeking a red midground plant to give some color variety.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 10: Trimmed glosso, got in rotala colorata, syngonanthus belem, tonina fluviatilis.

Day 16: Rescaped added some more syngonathus belem and hydrothix gardneri

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

like the layout. good luck with the glosso, that plant is high maintenance to keep low growing.

youve got some algae on the rock, you may want to take care of the problem before it starts to germinate elsewhere.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 AM
Algae Grower

the algae grew from day 10 to day 16 if you look
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've cut back on my lighting from 12h to 10h to deal with the algae on the rocks, there's also some spot algae on the bottom leaves of the tonina, upped my phosphate doses and it's going away slowly.

Hoping the rotala nanjenshan grows a bit quicker, so i can toss out those bare stems. There's about 9-10 more stems that are just sprouting, which might be enough. We'll see though.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 32:

Suffered a horrible diatom bloom around Day 20, everything was covered in diatoms, green spot algae and hair algae. On Day 29, I introduced amano shrimp and Day 30 yellow neocardinas. They've done a tremendous job getting the tank back to where it needs to be. The water is a little murky from the peat moss, so I'll live with that since I have to have it.

Amano Shrimp doing it's thing:

Yellow Neos:

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 03:09 AM
Algae Grower

Might want to cut back on the lighting abit more, are you dosing co2?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've had co2 since day 1, the diatom and algae bloom was just due to new tank syndrome. Another day or two and all the algae will be completely gone. i kind of wished i took a before and after photo to see how much of a different the shrimp made on the diatoms. The only thing I'm considering doing with lighting is actually picking up a new system to increase light into the tank, because i'm not getting enough light to my rotala colorata. They should be growing red, but just getting green growth. Also, wished that the glosso would grow stems horizontally, but I think that's going to take along time, since they were tall stems which i first purchased them at ADA.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Planted Member

Nice tank! Which manufacturer makes this tank?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

unfortunately i'm not sure who makes the tank, got it at the LFS for $25. It was a pretty killer deal so I picked it up. I was originally looking at like a 12g long, but I just couldn't resist lol.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 36:

I had to trim the toninas because they had funny growth on the stems, which was due to USPS's delayed shipping. Also, that i planted them in a bad spot where they didn't get good lighting, so the bottom of the stem was starting to die off. I still need to pickup another lighting fixture so that the rotala colorata will grow red, as opposed to green.

Glosso y u no grow faster...and horizontal

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

try upping your CO2 a little, the gloss will go horizontal easier with higher CO2, IME.
also, you need to train it. cut any verticle growth, and replant it but try and plant it diagonal, as flat as you can. eventually the plant will start producing only horizontal growth.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i'm very scared of turning up the co2, i don't want to gas the shrimp. i've been trimming the glosso every two weeks, just taking a lot longer than i expected.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Planted Member

Looking great so far, Im curious what kind of lighting is that? T5? How many bulbs?

Canon Pimp Club #008

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode