The Planted Tank Forum banner

12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe!

644K views 2K replies 297 participants last post by  saltmeup 
#1 · (Edited)

Featured is J&H's 12G Long

12 Gallon Long Rimless Club
(Mr. Aqua or GLA)

Hi! As I have discussed with a few fellow members with 12 gallon long tanks, it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to just 12 gallon long tanks. Its basically a thread dedicated to our small 12G long community in hopes of keeping it always exciting and drawing new interests everyday. This thread is open for ideas, questions, suggestions, etc. as a whole. Whether you already have a 12G long, looking for ideas how to design it, or simply thinking to get one, I want this thread and its members to help you in whichever way possible :biggrin:

Goals:
* Have your very own community focusing on 12G longs.
* Learn, inspire, share & support (Remember it as L.I.S.S).
* Give RAOK(s) from your very own 12G tank(s) for newcomers or to those in need when you have extra.
* Have fun! This is what it is all about ;)

Your Support Needed!: Link to our club by adding the pre-setup link below to your signature box. Just copy & paste to your signature box.

SMALL

HTML:
 [URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168088"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/izhPHb9PWOp01.gif[/IMG][/URL]
LARGE

HTML:
 [URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168088"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/iZhHcht953vTM.gif[/IMG][/URL]
It will look like this in your signature box if done correctly:

Banner Designed by Brian_Cali77

12G Journals = If you would like to recommend a journal - or of your own - to be added here, feel free to shoot me a PM! :bounce:

ADA: Panoramic Mountain Scape - CRS Habitat
Ach1Ll3sH33L: Ach1lL3s 12 long White Mountain
Amazonfish: Lara's 12 gallon long 'Tango'
andrewjohn007: 12g Long DSM with MTS
Anhvu: -="Bees Playground" Anh's Mr Aqua 12G Long=-
auski: Alan's Mr Aqua 12 gallon long
Aww: Aww's Scape #2 (Mr. Aqua 12G)

Bananariot: 12 Gallon Long Banana
BeastMaster: "Kahawai" 12 gallon long
beedee: Tranquil Valley // 12g Long Iwagumi
bigd603: 12 Gallon Wicked Long!

CalmSeasQuest: CalmSeasQuest's 12G Long Iwagumi
cdunson82: 12 gallon long first timer
CryptKeeper54: CryptKeeper54's Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long

dasob85: G's 12g long planted with driftwood
defiant: MR. Aqua's 12g Long Iwagumi Madness II the end!
DrakeScree: Drake's 12g long!!!!!!

El Funko: El Funko's Ubiquitous 12G Long
endgin28: The Black Gate GLA 12 long Iwagumi

_FC: First planted 12g Long (56K warning)

g33tar: g33tar's 12g Mr.Aqua -First planted tank
Geronimoumd: Geronimoumd's 12 Gal Long Journal - "The Jungle Nook"

HeathBar: 12g long - Low tech/low maintance

Kai808: Another guy... Another 12g long... Another DSM
Kosey929: 12G Long shrimp & tiny fish tank/very expensive cat water dish

larcat: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long Mountainscape. Stocking ideas?

manualfocus: 12 Gallon Long Rimless "Escape"
mayphly: Mayphly's 12 Gallon RimlessTank
meowschwitz: Meow's 12G Long — "Triple Summit"
micr0: micr0's 12 Gallon Long
mweng0385: mweng0385**Mr. Aqua 12 Long**Journal (56K Beware)
mythin: Mythin's Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long

natebuchholz: 12 Long Journal...Creative Title
NeoShrimp: Miss My's 1st Iwagumi Journal: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
nerdariostomp: Nerdariostomp's 12g long

PJM: Mr. Aqua 12 Bookshelf Frameless Aquarium Journal

Ranbaral: Ranbaral: 12g long, Iwagumi on a budget
rdmustang1: A Twist on Mr. Aqua 12 Long
rocksmom: rocksmom's 12 Long Blue Velvet Haven
RumbleFish: Rumble's First Planted (12G Long)

sayurasem: Ray's 12 Gallon Loooooooong Journal Substrate Swap Completed
senor0kun: Another 12 gallon long
smracer31: 12 gallon long coffee table tank
somewhatshocked: Jake's Mr. Aqua 12gal Long/36" Shrimp Tank (pic heavy)

the_intricacy: the_Intricacy's 12g Long... double-fisted!
therash: therash's 12 gallon long

Waddy015: 12 Gallon Long Mr. Aqua

yellowsno: YellowSno's 12 gallon long... now with bba problems :(

See less See more
#1,776 ·
I just joined the club! Picked up the tank on Sunday.
Equipment ordered:
Cobalt heater
Current Sat Freshwater LED +
Finnex PX-360 compact canister filter
Flourite for the substrate

Tentatively planning for no co2

Got a male betta that'll be the first tenant. Going to be looking for other smaller types of fish to add.

#1,779 ·
Pulled out the pennywort and re-carpeted with DIY riccia rocks (slate, shower scrubber, and emersed grown riccia). Tank is now (not so) narrow leaf pygmy chain sword, creeping jenny, ricica, and a little hc and duckweed.

#1,780 ·
Here's my set up.
Cobalt heater
Current Sat Freshwater LED +
Finnex PX-360 compact canister filter
Flourite for the substrate
Ehiem 350 surface skimmer

Plants
Cryptocoryne undulata
Staurogyne repen
Cryptocoryne parva
Anubias Barteri
downoi
flame moss not attached yet

Fish
betta
gold white clouds
pygmy tail spot cory

Glass is dirty so excuse the bad pics. I had to put a couple of the rocks on the wood to hold it down until it gets water logged.

Attachments

#1,784 · (Edited)
If you don't want that bettas fins to become completely shredded remove the lava rock NOW! Betta fins are credulously delicate and easy to rip.
Also white clouds need COLD WATER 53-71f, bettas 78-82f they are NOT compatible. Keeping white clouds in warmer waters reduces their lifespans.

those are pygmys?
They were sold as narrow leaf pygmy chain swords.. but then the idot seller who I bought them from also sold E. grisebachii (gets to 24") as Echinodorus Parviflorus 'tropica' (stays 2-6").. so who knows what they really are....They can get to 6" i think, tank is 8" tall with 2" substrate they they could be the right plant?

#1,783 ·
do i just say hey i would be interested in a 12g or??? because i really want one :hihi: i have a 55g planted seut up right now but i love how these smaller tanks look.
It was really an impulse buy for me. One of the LFSs has one set up that I look at every time I go in. Couple of weeks ago I went in and saw the betta and walked out with both the fish and the tank!

#1,791 ·
Lotus Aquarium in Lawndale. . There are a lot of shops in Southern California that carry Mr. Aqua tanks. CK Fish in West Covina usually has the 12L in stock. You could always check with MarineDepot.com if you want it shipped (they can also do will call pickup if you call them)

#1,798 ·
Thanks.

I put a bunch of glosso in there because I had it. Now I am trying to figure out how to manage the light. I am using a satellite plus. I am thinking maybe I should just do a midday burst, like three hour or something, and then turn it off. I am niot sure what might work in this case.

#1,799 ·
Hey, I just started the process of setting up my first tank, a 12 gallon long. I was wondering if I could get some advice on my equipment list:

Equipment:
Tank: Mr Aqua 12 Gallon Long (obviously)
Light: Current Satellite LED Plus 36"
Filter: SunSun HW-302 (265 GPH) or HW-603B (105 GPH); which filter is the better fit? I'd like something cheaper than what Eheim or Fluval have to offer but I'm not sure which of these two models is better suited for a 12 gallon long.
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (Normal grain, maybe some powder as a top layer); how much should I get? I was thinking 12 liters.
Heater: No heater (at least at the start)
CO2: Paintball Co2 Injection DIY, similar to the setup in JaggedFury's thread. I'm still not sure if I'm going use this method or buy something else, but I don't want to spend an outrageous amount.
Hardscape: Most likely Seiryu or similar stone, maybe driftwood if I manage to find a piece I like.
Lily Pipes: Will most likely get a CalAqua X1 and F2 after everything is set up

Fauna (quantity is a rough estimate):
12 Celestial Pearl Danios
3 Bamboo Shrimp
10-15 Dwarf Shrimp (undecided on the type)
5 Tiger Nerites
3 Asian Stone Catfish

Flora:
Currently unsure on the plants, it won't be anything out of the ordinary though, and I'd like it to be pretty heavily planted. My decision will partially depend on the hardscape materials that I end up using. I'd like the tank to be fairly heavily planted and will probably have a carpeting plant like HC, Monte Carlo, or Marsilea minuta (most likely will use the dry start method).

Any advice, criticism, or recommendations are greatly appreciated! I'm new to planted tanks and want to make sure to do things right the first time around.

#1,803 ·
Hi, I am setting up a Mr Aqua 12g long this week. I bought it a couple months ago and did not have time to collect all the support systems...including a stand. Found a stylish industrial-look table on Craigslist yesterday, so now I can get this party started.

I wish I had found this thread sooner as I had posted a filter question in the Equipment forum. I've narrowed down my filter options and will hit up the LFS tomorrow.

Anyhow, I'm happy to find like-minded folks and I'll share photos as i progress.

So far I have the tank plus:
A stand (table)
Foam pad to cushion between the tank and table
Earthquake straps attached to wall
Rocks for hardscape (thinking Iwaguni-style)
Plants-dwarf hair grass and Monte Carlo (I already had them in my plant-nursery container)
New set of scape-tools
ADA Colorado Sand
Black Tahitian sand
White Clouds (outside in the pond for the summer)

I'm super excited to complete this set-up. The wait has been an exercise in patience.

#1,804 ·
I thought I had dimmed the light and was only running it for about 6 hours. Guess I was mistaken. Anyway I removed the anubias and put it in another tank to recover. Trying out some other plants now. Once I figure out what works I'll post another picture in a few weeks. Trying some elocharis, rotala and alternathera at the moment.

#1,805 ·
Update on my 12g setup. Slow progress. I got as far as staging the rocks and after looking at the pic, it needs adjustments. Plus I realized I need infrastructure for the big mound. Making those tonight.

I'm switching to a smaller rock on the far left. The rocks on the right are not really touching, it's a bad camera angle. And a couple of these will be partially buried.

Concurrently, I've harvested and prepped the plants for placements once I settle on the 7 rock formation.

More later...

Attachments

#1,808 · (Edited)
Hello all! I am new to fishtanks and stumbled across this forum and thread! Looks like a great source of information, I have what I think is a 12g tank.. being in Australia we use litres... the tank is 900mm x 220mm x 250mm I was chasing a Mr Aqua 12g but not easy to find where I live. Anyways the tank is perfect for the space I am using it in, right next to my couch in a small apartment. So far I have put down some soil and positioned some drift wood and rocks purchased from a store in Perth. Here is the set up at the moment... need to go out and buy some plants this weekend, going to keep the planting minimal and easy to maintain without Co2

I have a question is it ok to position the filter outlet as shown in the photos below the water level? The instructions show the outlet streaming into the water but it is rather noisy in my small living room, I will deal with the noise if it is recommended that I have the filter outlet streaming into the tank... any advice would be great.

#1,810 ·
nothing wrong with positioning it like that. Most people keep the spraybar under water to reduce noise.

Hello all! I am new to fishtanks and stumbled across this forum and thread! Looks like a great source of information, I have what I think is a 12g tank.. being in Australia we use litres... the tank is 900mm x 220mm x 250mm I was chasing a Mr Aqua 12g but not easy to find where I live. Anyways the tank is perfect for the space I am using it in, right next to my couch in a small apartment. So far I have put down some soil and positioned some drift wood and rocks purchased from a store in Perth. Here is the set up at the moment... need to go out and buy some plants this weekend, going to keep the planting minimal and easy to maintain without Co2

I have a question is it ok to position the filter outlet as shown in the photos below the water level? The instructions show the outlet streaming into the water but it is rather noisy in my small living room, I will deal with the noise if it is recommended that I have the filter outlet streaming into the tank... any advice would be great.

#1,809 ·
Okay, I'm about 3 weeks in on my 12 gal saga. I added my White Clouds sooner than planned because our evening temps had dropped below 50.

Any how, the mound failure wrecked havoc on my layout, but I'll leave it for now. I trimmed the plants today, as seen in the most recent photo. The hair grass is filling in nicely. I'm training the hydrocotyle to grow low and thick. The pearl weed may be removed, I'm not sure I like it.

The hot-mess of smaller rocks will mended later. I'll wait to see how the plants do.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.