12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 52Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Algae Grower
 
micr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
Where did you get that light? and why is the reef thing in there? (the black thing that you see on every reef tank)
There are actually two lights, they are archaea 36 watt pc clip lights. The "reef things" are koralia nano powerheads. Not sure why these are associated with marine tanks, as they are the best smaller powerheads I've used for fresh or salt. I've found that maintaining good water movement has been very important with this tank.
micr0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
sunyang730's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by micr0 View Post
There are actually two lights, they are archaea 36 watt pc clip lights. The "reef things" are koralia nano powerheads. Not sure why these are associated with marine tanks, as they are the best smaller powerheads I've used for fresh or salt. I've found that maintaining good water movement has been very important with this tank.
So this mean you use the power heads instead of a spray bar for this work? Interesting! I will think of this because my tank is lack of water movement. LOL
sunyang730 is offline  
post #63 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Algae Grower
 
micr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
So this mean you use the power heads instead of a spray bar for this work? Interesting! I will think of this because my tank is lack of water movement. LOL
Yes, I don't use a spray bar, but the eheim 2215 outflow is still the biggest water mover in the tank. The koralias help prevent any dead zones. Their only drawback is that they can be dangerous to shrimp due to their open design. I no longer keep shrimp in this tank.
micr0 is offline  
post #64 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
sockfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: True North
Posts: 416
Finally. "Step Two" complete. Just found a Fluval 205 on super sale [they're being discontinued so the lfs had a good deal]. I'm thinking that with a spraybar or powerhead in the tank it should be fine.

Now now I have a tank and a filter. Lights are next. Then some awesome wood.This build goes so slowly on a budget, but I want to wait and get the good stuff...

sox

sockfish is offline  
post #65 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
sunyang730's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,195
Okay, So I am planning to get a Eheim Canister Filter 2213 (is this strong enough), a spray bar for it (where can I get this?) and 2 26w Light like Neo has.

Is this good enough for this tank?

Also, the pipe that came with the Eheim Canister, will that be too long?

If I don't want a Canister filter, what kid of HOB can I get?

Thanks!
sunyang730 is offline  
post #66 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,555
Eheim 2213s come with spray bars. However, they won't be long enough to cover your entire tank. You'll need to create one yourself out of rigid tubing. You can see how to do so in my thread or in the threads of others who have commented here.

Eheim intake tubes are too long/tall for this tank but they're easy to cut down with a hacksaw or Dremel.

There are so many HOB filters on the market that it's up to you to pick the one you like, really. AquaClear seems to be a favorite HOB brand here on the forum, as it's affordable and easy to modify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
Okay, So I am planning to get a Eheim Canister Filter 2213 (is this strong enough), a spray bar for it (where can I get this?) and 2 26w Light like Neo has.

Is this good enough for this tank?

Also, the pipe that came with the Eheim Canister, will that be too long?

If I don't want a Canister filter, what kid of HOB can I get?

Thanks!
somewhatshocked is offline  
post #67 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
sunyang730's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Eheim 2213s come with spray bars. However, they won't be long enough to cover your entire tank. You'll need to create one yourself out of rigid tubing. You can see how to do so in my thread or in the threads of others who have commented here.

Eheim intake tubes are too long/tall for this tank but they're easy to cut down with a hacksaw or Dremel.

There are so many HOB filters on the market that it's up to you to pick the one you like, really. AquaClear seems to be a favorite HOB brand here on the forum, as it's affordable and easy to modify.
HUM... I guess I will take a look at your tank LOL
sunyang730 is offline  
post #68 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM
SCAPEr
 
sayurasem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
Not enough 12G members yet. We really need to get it out there for people to join and participate. I say we start a RAOK just for members? Hint hint?
12 Gallon Loooooooooooooooooooooooooong Club perhaps?
And it shouldn't matter if you have Mr. Aqua or GLA?

I start!
sayurasem is offline  
post #69 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
sunyang730's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
12 Gallon Loooooooooooooooooooooooooong Club perhaps?
And it shouldn't matter if you have Mr. Aqua or GLA?

I start!
Which one is better? Anyone have experience?

I want to get one soon but they are all out of stock
sunyang730 is offline  
post #70 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 06:05 PM
SCAPEr
 
sayurasem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Posts: 2,558
*** LoL nvm this thread is the Club!
@NeoShrimp, so can we start with the number please?

If I'm correct, from counting the people that post pictures of their tank... I'm # 9?
sayurasem is offline  
post #71 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Planted Member
 
II Knucklez II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 283
hey love all the tanks i really want to get one soon but look what i found by the green machine in the UK AMAZING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxbErSngJE
II Knucklez II is offline  
post #72 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 AM
SCAPEr
 
sayurasem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by II Knucklez II View Post
hey love all the tanks i really want to get one soon but look what i found by the green machine in the UK AMAZING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxbErSngJE
Wow! super awesome!!
Man my imaginary is "shallow" compare to him lol.
sayurasem is offline  
post #73 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
yellowsno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bayside,NY
Posts: 528
Wow I've been looking into getting a 12 long... In the hands of the right people it can look amazing
yellowsno is offline  
post #74 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 AM
SCAPEr
 
sayurasem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Posts: 2,558
Ok here's mine on emersed
Now the Waiting Game.
sayurasem is offline  
post #75 of 1893 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,615
This thread was pointed out to me by sockfish. Thanks!

My 12G Mr. Aqua has been running for about a year now. I started with a single Finnex PX-360 filter which needs pretty regular cleaning to keep the flow going. About a week ago I hooked up an Eheim 2026, but had to use a ~30" spray bar to keep the substrate on the bottom, and not the top . This tank is viewable front and back and the long spray bar is getting on my nerves. I finally decided to try 2 PX-360s, one on each end. I should have the second Finnex installed over the weekend and the Eheim delegated to something else.

I do like my tanks bright, very bright. I have a 2x39w Hagen Glo light with pressurized CO2 on this guy and that seems to work for me.


Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
OVT is offline  
Reply

Tags
12 gallon long, 12 gallon rimless, mr aqua, nano tanks, stand

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome