12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! - Page 15 - The Planted Tank Forum
 52Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 07:35 AM
SCAPEr
 
sayurasem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Posts: 2,558
oh man... I thought they would have a big big warehouse/ store. I love to window shop
sayurasem is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
 
MsNemoShrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 2,588
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasob85 View Post
that would awesome if this thread was the reason marinedepot is out of stock. You should ask them for some commission neoshrimp!
I won't need commission. This thread is created in hopes to inspire you guys and to bring more interests to the club

Perhaps if this club gets big enough, the 12G club that is, could we possibly call in to ask for discounts for people who are in our club and are ordering new or more tanks? Hopefully they can do something for us, that would be so neat!

`.. ....`...Miss My - I'm 23 - UCSD Graduate.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
MsNemoShrimp is offline  
post #213 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bananariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Biddeford, Maine
Posts: 2,640
Question.....what do you guys recommend for a filter? I'm trying to conserve money so is there a cheaper alternative to an ehiem? I have HOB's but I think they are ugly.

Are there cheaper canisters?
What filters do you guys recommend (including eheim)?
Bananariot is offline  
post #214 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
sunyang730's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
Question.....what do you guys recommend for a filter? I'm trying to conserve money so is there a cheaper alternative to an ehiem? I have HOB's but I think they are ugly.

Are there cheaper canisters?
What filters do you guys recommend (including eheim)?
LOL, I am taking Neo's way. 2 zoomed canister filter. I like the zoomed filter so far.



Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline  
post #215 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 226
You could buy something used in the SnS forums. Or you could get a sunsun 302 off Ebay for ~$50, it doesn't come with filter media, just a few thin pieces of filter floss. Flow might be too strong with the sunsun, but I know someone else on this forum is running one on their 12 gallon, maybe they can chime in.

I'm planning on running a Cascade 700 hooked up to a diy ugf. Managed to snag a new one off ebay for $60ish. Needed something short to fit in my cabinet and this one fit perfectly.
jingleberry is offline  
post #216 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
lipadj46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 939
I'm just using 2 of the smallest ATI sponge filters in each back corner run off an air pump. Scape will be manzanita sticks from Tom Barr, akadama and java moss, dwarf water lettuce/frogbit and maybe a couple java ferns. Fauna will be extreme BKK and mischlings, 6 zebra otos and probably some cherry shrimp and ramshorns that get in there from the moss. Light will be a single Catalina 36 T5HO hung high enough to avoid algae issues but the floaters will block a decent amount of light.
lipadj46 is offline  
post #217 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
SCAPEr
 
sayurasem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Posts: 2,558
May I know what you guys lay your 12 gallon tank on?
sayurasem is offline  
post #218 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 02:19 AM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
May I know what you guys lay your 12 gallon tank on?
You mean what type of stand? Or cushion type material?
jingleberry is offline  
post #219 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 490
Raymond i found a nice 36" long sponge foam type mat at Target for pretty cheap. I think it's actually 40x21.
swoof is offline  
post #220 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bananariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Biddeford, Maine
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingleberry View Post
You could buy something used in the SnS forums. Or you could get a sunsun 302 off Ebay for ~$50, it doesn't come with filter media, just a few thin pieces of filter floss. Flow might be too strong with the sunsun, but I know someone else on this forum is running one on their 12 gallon, maybe they can chime in.

I'm planning on running a Cascade 700 hooked up to a diy ugf. Managed to snag a new one off ebay for $60ish. Needed something short to fit in my cabinet and this one fit perfectly.
can a sunsun302 use the ugf design?
i dont see it on ebay for $50 nor can i find a 302
Bananariot is offline  
post #221 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 490
This filter also sells under Perfect or Grech, it's the same as the smallest AquaTop canister (all the same filter different names)
swoof is offline  
post #222 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Algae Grower
 
Romagjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 21
Algae seems to be under control

Added 3 nerites and 4 otos, decreased ML double bright time to 8 hours and rescaped. Dose once per week with Flourish. Still have the plexiglass cover on and didn't raise the lighting. I think the 1/4" plexi shields out some of the light which compensates for not being able to raise the fixture because of the tanks location above my roll top desk. I just have crypts and anubias but will try some medium light plants soon.

12G Rimless Club
6 gallon Eheim Aquastyle Shrimp Tank
Mr. Aqua 12L
Romagjack is offline  
post #223 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
can a sunsun302 use the ugf design?
i dont see it on ebay for $50 nor can i find a 302
Yes you can use it with a diy ugf.

I just tried searching and there's only 1 selling it for slightly under $50, and and more being sold for $54. Just search for the term "canister filter" in the pet supplies section and filter the price by the range of $40 - $55. If you're planning on using expensive media, the cost of this filter + the media will only be slightly less than a eheim that comes fully loaded with media. Just one downside to this filter I don't like, you can't adjust the flow unless you add in your own ball valve, aside from that I've been running one in my 40G tank with no problems for the past 1.5 years. There's a lot of mixed reviews on them so do your research before ordering one.
jingleberry is offline  
post #224 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingleberry View Post
Yes you can use it with a diy ugf.

I just tried searching and there's only 1 selling it for slightly under $50, and and more being sold for $54. Just search for the term "canister filter" in the pet supplies section and filter the price by the range of $40 - $55. If you're planning on using expensive media, the cost of this filter + the media will only be slightly less than a eheim that comes fully loaded with media. Just one downside to this filter I don't like, you can't adjust the flow unless you add in your own ball valve, aside from that I've been running one in my 40G tank with no problems for the past 1.5 years. There's a lot of mixed reviews on them so do your research before ordering one.

Friends that are running this have packed more media into it which reduces the flow some, just an option.
swoof is offline  
post #225 of 1893 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
sockfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: True North
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
So far we have this: (I believe about a few who have recently joined the club have yet to add their names to the list...)

1 ADA
2
3
4 PhillCA
5 1995db7
6
7
8
9
10
11
12 yellowsno
13 jingleberry
14 sayurasem
15 sunyang730

I have cut the list down to only 15 participants

PS: So jingleberry, you don't mind I put you on #13 right? If not let me know
Um, if is this the list for the 12 Gal Long Club, I'd like to be on it too.

Sockfish

sockfish is offline  
Reply

Tags
12 gallon long, 12 gallon rimless, mr aqua, nano tanks, stand

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome