Cason's 60G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cason's 60G

The beginning!

Here is the current state of my Marineland 60G. Stock hoods and lights (T8 bulbs) will be replaced by a 2x54W T5HO 48" fixture. I think I might suspend it with the conduit method I saw earlier on here. I am running a Fluval 406 (stock media), but am planning on running my Finnex 360 to run my UV sterilizer (when I need to), and dose some extra Purigen for water quality.

I have some Jungle Vall on the way to start the background planting. Driftwood is also on the way. Hopefully the pieces are small enough to boil (I am an instant gratification kinda guy!). I will be dosing Seachem products(Excel, Flourish, Iron, etc). I am going to start with Excel and Flourish and see how that goes with my T5 lighting. The tank will have either a dark blue or black background as soon as it arrives.

I don't have much depth, but I think the Jungle Vall will give me what I am looking for - LOTS OF GREEN! I want incredibly clear water. Anything but that is very annoying to me (duh). The current substrate is about 1.5-2 inches of CaribSea FloraMax. Its all my LFS had and I think it will serve me well. I almost went with dirt, but that was a huge mess waiting to happen so I think with proper fertilization this will be sufficient.

This will be a community tank full of color. I am considering Rams, a big school of Tetras (not sure which yet), and I really want some Bosemani Rainbows. I will have to do more research on compatibility, but I believe it will work fine. Would love to have some loaches and cory's for the bottom as well. I will worry about that AFTER this thing is planted and growing.

What do you guys think? It's very early of course, but any suggestions and tips will be GREATLY appreciated! Criticism is very appreciated too! I want this to be the best it can be. Thanks for looking!

Cason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
I think it looks like a nice start, but if you're an instant gratification sort of guy, this may not be the hobby for you. Do you plan on running co2 on this tank?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, don't get me wrong, I understand some things are worth the wait, and this hobby sure counts in that category! I may HAVE to run CO2, and if I do, I will probably just run it into my filter system for diffusion. I don't like having alot of equipment showing in my tank. I think the Jungle Vall will take care of what is already seen. Thanks!!

As a side note - I just ordered my lighting and a spray bar for the Fluval.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
Woo! If you do HAVE to do co2, will you be doing pressurized?

What kind of wood did you order? If it's to large to boil, I've had good luck keeping it in a rubbermaid tote in the bathtub and putting in hot water every few hours. It took my last few pieces about 3 weeks to sink that way, but I've never found boiling to be much faster tbh. Tannins may still be a problem, however. I know the piece I've had in my tanks for the last 2+ years is still slightly leaching. I only really notice it during water changes though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess I will be doing pressurized, more than likely a paintball setup. I don't really know much about it, and I hate skimping on things like that, so as far as the investment is concerned, I will only do so if necessary.

Yeah, well hopefully between the purigen and carbon, as well as having a 406 on a 60G, the tannins won't be a HUGE issue. I guess we shall see!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No picture update as nothing has changed, but I am going to be grabbing a jig saw to modify my internal shelf to accomodate my Fluval, as well as another 305/306 to run double purigen and carbon. The way it stands now (no pun intended), the 406 sits on a 3-door rubbermaid drawer, and sticks out like a sore thumb! I also think adding another filter will help me get my waterflow where I want it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry, meant to say i ordered Malaysian Driftwood. Plantbrain is going to be hooking me up with some as well.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its hard to see in this picture, and i dont have a better camera right now, but i will be modifying this stand to hold my CO2 system and filters.

There are 2 shelves on this. One internal and one external. I am going to be using a jigsaw to cut through internal shelf to allow my big 406 to sit in there and rest on the bottom shelf. I plan on adding a 305/306 soon as well and it will have a home much like the 406. I am going to have to measure it out and eyeball it since the 406 is so tall. I may need a pretty big hole considering I will have to remove it/replace it at an angle. Im going to plan it out tomorrow after work and will update once I get it done.

PS - Pardon the crappy algae tabs and jungle conditioner. It was part of the "impulse buy from hell" at Wally World that brought me here to you guys. I am thankful nonetheless!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Unfortunately, my new Infuse has a TERRIBLE camera. But, you get the idea. 30 Jungle Val plants planted today! Yeah, overkill, but hopefully it will live until I get my lighting fixed. The fixture came with a shattered bulb, and a bulb that wouldn't start. Just my luck. But, the vendor I purchased it from will make it right once I show them that I am not lying lol.

I dosed with Seachem Iron, Excel, and Flourish immediately, so hopefully my crappy low wattage T8 will suffice until I get new bulbs.

I planted randomly so I could get them started and keep them alive. As soon as I get my driftwood for the tank from PC1, I will rearrange and order some rotala. Speaking of which, anybody got some for sell on here?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I decided since I still have crappy low light, that until my new T5HO bulbs arrive, I have floated most of my jungle val. They already look healthier! Also, since I was stupid and now do not know for sure whether my tank has cycled or not, my pleco got 7 new buddies tonight! Serpae tetras. I just gotta figure out how to proceed from here because I really don't want them to die... Here's to some research! Pics later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode