Its been a few weeks since i updated, Ive been neglecting this tank while i set up 2x 60P tanks. I sort of left this tank alone, forgot my water changes, and now i have a GDA and BBA outbreak. I think both of these stem from the same problem, surface scum. Using a lily pipe across the tank seems to just push the bio film to one end. Even with it affixed half way out, it simply wasn't enough to keep the water surface clean, and as a result, fluctuating c02 and oxygen levels induced algae. I went ahead and made a spray bar that keeps the water on the surface moving in a circular motion, and with enough surface movement to hopefully break up the bio-film. Ive also started spot treating the bba with hydrogen peroxide, which seems to be doing a good job. Im gonna let the GDA run its course, maybe another 2 weeks before i attempt to scrape it off. Also put the dwarf guarami in his own tank.
Spray bar seems to be doing its job. A little more than a week later, no surface scum and its seemed to have kept the gda at bay. Got rid of the stag repens in this tank. Going to put some Belem as a replacement later this week on the back left. This scape is pretty close to being completed, im pretty happy with how it has progressed. Ive learned a lot about setting up an iwagumi style tank like this, through a lot of trial and error and mostly research. Its been a fun project!
On another note, here is where the stag repens went. still waiting for some more blyxa and repens to finish planting this. Havnt decided if i will use moss yet, maybe try some fissidens on the brances.
You have to hang the ray 2 up a good bit which i actually like to do on most my tanks, gives me more room to work around the tank with a suspended light. Looking at the par data, it would be pretty hard to keep algae away with a fugeray sitting on top of this tank still, so either option you would still probably need to raise it a bit, just not as high with the fuge.
Well tore the tank down. Wanted to try and create something that gave the tank more depth, which is probably the biggest challenge with this tank. I spent a few hours yesterday playing with quite a few rock scapes and couldn't get the look i wanted with rocks alone, they just seemed to blend together. So picked up some wood which i think helps make the tank look a little deeper than just 8 inches!I will update this with some tear-down and rebuild pics later (on a side note the background 'plants' will be removed, or i will split them so the right 3/4 valley part is empy
Planted, still need to do something with the background, gonna paint the light bracket black, going to add some transitional plants here and there between the rocks once the grass and carpet grow in some. Going to put some amano's in hopefully by week 2 if the tank doesn't re cycle fully, im sure the driftwood will be nice and fuzzy by then! Im not exactly sure what livestock im going to go with, i put my fish from this tank in my 60p and will probably get 10 more of each variety for that tank, then try my hand at a different fish, maybe rummy noses. Anyway on to the pics(crappy pics with the iphone, ill pull out the slr once i get everything complete)
Heres the teardown...and build up
traded this portion of hc to my lfs for some new dirt
Equipment shot. Nice thing about just doing a rescape is everything is already set up and dialed in!
Playing with just a rock type scape.. couldn't come up with something that looked natural with the rocks i had.
build of the current layout, used egg crate as a foundation and stainless screws to hold the wood where i wanted it