The Planted Tank Forum banner

180P build

119K views 442 replies 102 participants last post by  Pugman 
#1 ·
Hello planted people. I just sold my reef tank to help fund this project. This system will include the following. 180P ADA Aquarium. A custom stand to mimic the ADA one because they don't sell it in my area. The lighting will be three Ecotech Radion LEDs. Filtration will be two Fluval G6's with two Hydor 300w Inline heaters. I am going to use a combination of Fluvals soil and Eco Complete. I would love to get some Unzan Stone but I don't know where to get. Lights will be here next week. The stand and tank will be delivered by the end of the month. Although I'm really excited about getting this I'm not looking forward to transporting this glass. I think it's close to 400 lbs.

#3 ·
This is going to be one of the best tanks I have ever seen. 180-p is a perfect size. I wish I could get one, you lucky duck.

Best of luck!

(Chico as in California?)

#8 ·
I can get the Fluval soil cheaper and it has the same look. However if there is a big diference between the two I'm not completely sold on Fluval. I use the Eco complete underneath the soil just trying to mimic ADA's power sand. In the last video of Amano's Unzan stone build I watched he just used all soil. Is this the latest style?

Thanks for the feedback:icon_smil

#9 ·
I got a package in the mail today from Hong Kong. My glassware. I went with the cheaper glass for now as I would cry if I broke an ADA pipe. The tank set me back quite a bit and there is no substitution for there quality of aquariums. I also picked up the hanging kits for the lights.

Attachments

#10 ·
Got a few more things in. FLUVAL Soil, inline heaters, Radion LEDs. I can't get the glass yet as I am still waiting for the stand to be constructed. He ran into a couple of snags so it's been delayed to the end of the week. Oh well I still have to find some stones. Also I have to have a custom light rail built once I get the stand as well. These lights are incredible.

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks. I'm pretty excited to get this going. I'm new to this forum but I've had aquariums for over 25 years. Mostly saltwater. I've set up one planted tank before and had success to a certain extent (some algae issues). I still have a lot to learn tho.

#16 · (Edited)
I've done things on the cheap side and generally speaking you get what you pay for. I went cheap on the glass pipes because I have a two year old and one in the oven. I imagine they will break something one day. When they are older I'll replace them with ADA quality pipes. There is a difference.

On a side note I was thinking of putting in 250 CPD's. Opinion's?

#18 ·
I cant comment on 250, but a big group of cpd's would be awesome. I just got 6 in my Mini M. I really like the fish. From what i've seen over the last few weeks, the six I have are somewhat a group but spend time solo when not in fear. The tank I bought mine from had 50 to 70 in there. They acted more as a group then my six. I don't know if i've ever seen that many together. Go for it.

I also think 250 Boraras Briggitae would be cool.

#20 ·
subscribed
As this looks be a very nice hi tech tank

I agree with Booger, i would use the Vortech (Mp40 should do the job) for flow go with the wireless that way it can be then controlled from the radion units (for slowing for feeding and weather patterns)
i use an Mp10 on a 40G and its the business IMO

#25 ·
Hmm Eco tech leds. This is going to be interesting to see how they perform. We carry them at the shop I work at but I haven't really heard anything about them over a planted tank. Subscribed.

#26 ·
There's been delay after delay with the stand but I'm suposed to get it tomorrow. The tank is 4K and $210 to have it shipped. The lights grow corals amazingly well so I'd imagine they'll grow plants. Fluval G6's put out pretty good flow for a canister. Do I really need more flow?

#29 ·
Its 155g. Total turn over rate would be 3.41gph so you would most definitely need a powerhead or two. 180p simply means its 180cm long and 'p' meaning the depth is about the same as height.

#42 ·
dude this is so nuts!! I think there's less than 10 actual ADA 180-p's in America.
I think that's because we have a lot of US based options available to us for large builds. Once you go past 75 gallons or so, ADA tanks aren't very competitive price-wise. Tom Barr has mentioned this many times. After getting quotes, I can confirm he's right.
Just for comparison, A.G.E. quoted a custom 180 gallon Starphire tank shipped for about half the cost.

---

Back to the OP, that pair of Fluval G6's may work alright for you. It really depends on how you plan to scape and plant the tank. I skimmed through the thread, so I didn't notice if you already mentioned the plan. Obviously if it's thicker you may have some pockets where circulation isn't so good.

If you are aiming for a sleek look you might want to skip the glass (and soon to be brown) pipes in favor of having the intakes and returns plumbed through the bottom. Hiding them behind decor wouldn't be too difficult. And if the scape changes you could use locline or tubing buried under the substrate to route them to new hidden locations.

Definitely looking forward to seeing this one develop!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.