180P build - Page 22 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #316 of 441 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I know you got your rocks in a long time ago but you were asking for rock at the beginning of this journal, we were in PA last week at "That Pet Place" and they had a huge bin of very dark grey rock that would look black when wet, angular shapes with a rough holey surface similar to lava rock, non of the pieces were larger than a cantaloupe and they were priced at $2.59 a pound.

They are very similar to what you have but you have larger pieces and better shapes, but you can always stack smaller ones together and make pockets of soil for planting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 441 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you'll be very happy with the green neons. They aren't quite as colorful as the cardinals, but after you've had then a while they color up nicely and even get a small red underbelly similar to the cards.

As far as cories go, they are great fish, but don't count on them to eat green algae from the sand. In my humble experience, algae eaters don't really solve algae problems - only balancing the light, ferts, and healthy plant mass can suppress algae. If 50 umol of PAR is causing algae on the substrate, try dialing it down to 40 or shorten your photo period to 8 or 6 hours. Personally I am always quite surprised at how little light some of these plants need, even the high light ones.

Also, keep in mind that in a new tank with aquasoil it's normal to get some algae growth. Very frequent water changes (daily first week, every other day second week, and twice weekly for next two weeks) can help but the ammonia leeching from the AS is bound to cause some algae to appear. Hopefully your plant growth will take over and suppress it.

Try using excel or glutaraldehyde daily to suppress the algae. It's a good supplement in case CO2 is not circulating throughout your entire tank.

Looking forward to new pics.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw
post #318 of 441 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Any updates? any melting part? Any algae issue so far?

**** Green ****

Green's Resurrection Aquarium Gallery
post #319 of 441 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
Any updates? any melting part? Any algae issue so far?
As soon as I filled it the melting stopped. It's completely filled in now, in fact it's getting near time to trim. Minor hair/string algae I suck out every three days or so. I've done maybe three bigger water changes but mostly ten gallon water changes. Snails are everywhere. I added four assassin snails. I'm not sure thats enough but we will see. Last night I added 25 Otto's. I can't get Green Neon's or pygmy Cory's right now. Otto's are pretty cool. They are schooling. Just about done with my green water issue. I hope it won't be ongoing when I remove the UV sterilizer. Other then that it's pretty easy breezy.
post #320 of 441 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

4 assassins in a 180P? Sounds like you need a bit more...

Pics pics pics!!

Btw any plan on adding amanos?
post #321 of 441 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

GW and the other algae should go away, particularly if you do frequent water changes, that will save you till you can tweak typically the CO2 is at issue.

Water change + tweak that from here anytime you spot any algae.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #322 of 441 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to styxx
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
4 assassins in a 180P? Sounds like you need a bit more...

Pics pics pics!!

Btw any plan on adding amanos?
I agree with Tom, I'd have at minimum 10 assassins probably more depending on the intensity of the snail infestation. But I will have to add my voice to the calls for PICS!!!
post #323 of 441 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugman View Post
As soon as I filled it the melting stopped. It's completely filled in now, in fact it's getting near time to trim. Minor hair/string algae I suck out every three days or so. I've done maybe three bigger water changes but mostly ten gallon water changes. Snails are everywhere. I added four assassin snails. I'm not sure thats enough but we will see. Last night I added 25 Otto's. I can't get Green Neon's or pygmy Cory's right now. Otto's are pretty cool. They are schooling. Just about done with my green water issue. I hope it won't be ongoing when I remove the UV sterilizer. Other then that it's pretty easy breezy.
Thanks Pugman. Are you saying that you're doing daily WC since?

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
I agree with Tom, I'd have at minimum 10 assassins probably more depending on the intensity of the snail infestation. But I will have to add my voice to the calls for PICS!!!
Is Jkan actually TOM?

**** Green ****

post #324 of 441 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Algae Grower

Bump for an update.
post #325 of 441 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

I forgot about this awesome thread. Finally subscribed and hoping for pics.
post #326 of 441 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Bump for an update.
Well here's an update. The original planting of this aquarium has put me in a world of hurt. I had purchased 125 potted plants that I quartered totaling 500 plants to plant. I must of beeen on some kind of "planting high". It took 5 hours to do it. Two days after I had a frozen shoulder. I visited a medical doctor then a orthopedic message therapist and finally a chiropractor. A thousand dollars and two months later I'm about 80% better. It is extremely difficult to clean the aquarium but I give it my best.

I gave up with the Green Neons because they are no where to be found. I added 200 cardinals about a week ago and I have around 60 left. They seem to have stop dying. I also can't get pygmy Corys right now.

So the HC is growing like mad. I've cut it back once and it's almost ready for another trimming soon. I have a big problem with algae right now. I've scaled back to 50% of my lighting intensity and I have upped the Co2. That has slowed it down some. I dosed the tank with 2X the Excel recommendation. All algae is turning white right now. I hate to post pics that are sub par. For some strange reason I like to solve problems that occur. Blanket Weed is what I think I have. As it turns out I was programing the lights wrong. I was running them at 100% which is way too much. Like I said they are at 50% right now. Co2 is at it's max. Everything seems to be on the mend. Pics are coming soon.
post #327 of 441 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Algae Grower

I was wondering if those radions where going to over power your tank or not. Do you have access to a par meter? Sucks about your shoulder too. The only way hobbies are supposed to be painful is in the pocketbook. Geez...
post #328 of 441 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Most reef keepers are running radions at 40% so they don't bleach their sps coral.
post #329 of 441 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well here's an update. The original planting of this aquarium has put me in a world of hurt. I had purchased 125 potted plants that I quartered totaling 500 plants to plant. I must of beeen on some kind of "planting high". It took 5 hours to do it. Two days after I had a frozen shoulder. I visited a medical doctor then a orthopedic message therapist and finally a chiropractor. A thousand dollars and two months later I'm about 80% better. It is extremely difficult to clean the aquarium but I give it my best.

I gave up with the Green Neons because they are no where to be found. I added 200 cardinals about a week ago and I have around 60 left. They seem to have stop dying. I also can't get pygmy Corys right now.

So the HC is growing like mad. I've cut it back once and it's almost ready for another trimming soon. I have a big problem with algae right now. I've scaled back to 50% of my lighting intensity and I have upped the Co2. That has slowed it down some. I dosed the tank with 2X the Excel recommendation. All algae is turning white right now. I hate to post pics that are sub par. For some strange reason I like to solve problems that occur. Blanket Weed is what I think I have. As it turns out I was programing the lights wrong. I was running them at 100% which is way too much. Like I said they are at 50% right now. Co2 is at it's max. Everything seems to be on the mend. Pics are coming soon.

See?? I'm cheaper than the Doctors were

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #330 of 441 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Well, I hope you will better.

As for your tank, at least HC is growing mad, instead of melting down. I would rather keep on trimming, then keep on replanting them like in my 50g. Cant wait for the pics.

**** Green ****

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode