180P build - Page 14 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #196 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:47 PM
I see LEDs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very impressive bud. This is going to be worth every cent you put into it.
post #198 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That tank is going to be a HC farm. You can make a mint putting the trimmings on SNS.

ADA Room Journal
Shrimp Rack in the ADA Room
ADA collector:120H,120P,90P,90H,60P,60Fx2,30C,mini L ...
post #199 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
Just read all 14 pages of your build and I love all the high tech! Can't wait for updates. What group of fish are going to be your main focus for this tank?
post #200 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Nerd Alert.

If jealously is a sin, today I am sinning.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #201 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Love the look. Reminds me of an arrested lava flow on an ocean beach that is in the process of recovery.

Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #202 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
Wow nice! that's a lot of HC!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogan View Post
Very impressive bud. This is going to be worth every cent you put into it.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaz View Post
That tank is going to be a HC farm. You can make a mint putting the trimmings on SNS.
Make a mint? Good because I paid a mint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
Just read all 14 pages of your build and I love all the high tech! Can't wait for updates. What group of fish are going to be your main focus for this tank?
Funny because compared to my reef tank this setup is way low tech. But I get what you mean. Thanks. I've gone over and over what fish I would like and I always come back to Cardinals. They got to be small and colorful. I am going to get some cool shrimp, somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
If jealously is a sin, today I am sinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post

Love the look. Reminds me of an arrested lava flow on an ocean beach that is in the process of recovery.
The tank really looks so much better in person. It's so big that trying to take a FTS the detail gets lost. I am still shooting with a iPhone tho. Time to bust out the SLR. I've decided to do the dry start thing. at least for a little bit. I had a Repto Fogger laying around to make it easier. We'll see how it turns out.
post #203 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Algae Grower

when all of that fills in it will look amazing! great job!
post #204 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I have read through this before. Glad you got everything started. I think Cardinals would be a great choice. They are my favorite fish though. They complement larger fish well, be it something like German Blue Ram's to Discus. I would consider a school of rummy nose as well. Even I don't find them to be particular attractive in terms of color but their behavior is nice.

Anyway, glad to see how this turned out. Love the stand, love the lighting setup and how you actually ran the cords through the pipe, etc.
post #205 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Have you considered moss as a transition between the lava and the white sand? Small Lava rocks, 1.5' dia can be used and wrapped in moss.

These can be grown in a terrarium like tray and misted with tank water etc.
After 2 weeks or so, the moss will be well attached.
Do not like it? Take them out and sell them.

Low risk.

If you want to add moss to the rocks, the DSM is the time to do this.
Blender some Fissidens and paint brush on the lava, the effect after about 1-2 weeks is real nice.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #206 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Planted Member

very cool I love the look
post #207 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrt09 View Post
when all of that fills in it will look amazing! great job!
Yah I can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I have read through this before. Glad you got everything started. I think Cardinals would be a great choice. They are my favorite fish though. They complement larger fish well, be it something like German Blue Ram's to Discus. I would consider a school of rummy nose as well. Even I don't find them to be particular attractive in terms of color but their behavior is nice.

Anyway, glad to see how this turned out. Love the stand, love the lighting setup and how you actually ran the cords through the pipe, etc.
Thank you. Other then the clean up crew fish. I'll probably just stick with just one type. I wish I could find fish that were smaller then Cardinals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Have you considered moss as a transition between the lava and the white sand? Small Lava rocks, 1.5' dia can be used and wrapped in moss.

These can be grown in a terrarium like tray and misted with tank water etc.
After 2 weeks or so, the moss will be well attached.
Do not like it? Take them out and sell them.

Low risk.

If you want to add moss to the rocks, the DSM is the time to do this.
Blender some Fissidens and paint brush on the lava, the effect after about 1-2 weeks is real nice.
I'm trying the DSM based on your suggestion. The folks at Aqua Forest didn't recommend it. They said people had issues with mold or fungus. Just like saltwater there are several ways to achieve success. I did just get a par meter the other day. You had recommended turning my lights down to a par of 50? Was that suggestion for the DSM or for all the time? I'm going to try the moss paint brush method. I love that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophiophagus View Post
very cool I love the look
Thanks. I like to experiment with different things.
post #208 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugman View Post
I'm trying the DSM based on your suggestion. The folks at Aqua Forest didn't recommend it. They said people had issues with mold or fungus. Just like saltwater there are several ways to achieve success. I did just get a par meter the other day. You had recommended turning my lights down to a par of 50? Was that suggestion for the DSM or for all the time? I'm going to try the moss paint brush method. I love that idea.

Thanks. I like to experiment with different things.
I guess the DSM does not somehow.........also apply to Wabi Kusa either eh?
They recommend that.

If you cannot grow a terrarium I suppose I would not recommend it
I've never had issues with mold of fungus and if you do...it's because the tank is too sealed up, it needs to be a little vented and dry. Ignorance and failure are not good reasons not to recommend something. It's simply because Amano did not tell them to do it. If Amano came out with an article tomorrow, every ADA dealer would be singing the praises.

You can crank the light till you flood the tank though.

AFA's 180 p has around 40-50 umol along the bottom of the sediment, they had some HC doing well in there, Gloss and E. tennellus. So it grows fine at that umol. Also, since the tank has no plants on the front, pull the lights back towards the rear. 12-14" is a good height. You might have 50-70 umol since the tank's rear is higher.

This is fine.

Moss works great, this came from a long time ago when we needed to moss a bridge with stone and the stone was harsh looking. We blended the moss in water and milk and slapped it on in the spring while it was cool/moist. It took real quick. For aquariums, just 10 sec and in tank water with some light ferts.

Mist daily.

Make sure there is some air, release, blow out the tank once a day etc. Do not leave it tightly sealed.

This is true for terrariums and Crypts etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #209 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 PM
I see LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugman View Post
Thank you. Other then the clean up crew fish. I'll probably just stick with just one type. I wish I could find fish that were smaller then Cardinals.
You could try green neon tetras, stays about half the size of a cardinal but still has that full blue stripe
post #210 of 441 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
You could try green neon tetras, stays about half the size of a cardinal but still has that full blue stripe
I considered them. Wikipedia say Cardinals get 1.25" and GNT get to 1". For the color difference I favor the Cardinals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode