Dewalltheway's - "The 125G" - Page 12 - The Planted Tank Forum

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
That was a great video you posted in her thread! Thank you It appears she had seen your journal before I did. I noticed her name qouted above mine. Well I'm glad she's since your scape!
I love that tank in the video and even had thought of having my tank be a hardscape only for a while but I like the plants. I told her to let me know if I could be of any help

Quote:
Originally Posted by alipper View Post
Just skimmed through the thread quick to look at the pictures...WOW. Great job, lots of credit for the stand/base for the tank. A++.
Thank you! I wanted to make sure that the base would support the weight and be a good foundation for the tank. I really enjoyed the whole project.

Current Tank Journals: 125 Dream~~~~
Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Mark, the tank is looking really good as is your very well organized fish room. Did you lose all of your bylxa aubertti you had?

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
post #168 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Mark, the tank is looking really good as is your very well organized fish room. Did you lose all of your bylxa aubertti you had?
Thanks! I am an organizational freak! I can't stand having clutter.

I did lose all my Blyxa Aubertii in the move! I had a bunch of BBA on it when it was in my 55 gal till I got the 125 done and before I transferred it, I did an excel dip and it killed it within a week. I was so upset because I love that plant and hope to get more of it in the future. I did find, though, that Streba Cories will eat Blyxa plants so before I get anymore. I will have to get rid of them.

Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
post #169 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just some updated pics. Sorry for the fish being so blurry. Need to work out my camera setings.

I spread out my christmas moss all along the rocks so now I have to have patience and let it grow in. I also spread out my java fern and put it behind each of the stumps. It will take about 4 months before this will really look the way I want it. Here aer some pics...

post #170 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Look at that!
post #171 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Look at that!
Thanks! Still a long way to go.

post #172 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Messed around last night and moved some plants I have in my 20 gal over to this tank and also took some other shots..

One of my favorites.. Bacopa Colorata

I also moved some Cyperus Helferi which if you look close will see scattered throught the tank.

My favorite side of the tank...

NOW for the Ugly and if anyone can tell me why this happens or how to fix it, I would be eternally greatful....

When I moved these Anubius Nans in here from my 20 gal, there was not a spot of algea on them and now they look awful. You can tell the new leaves. It makes me sick

post #173 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:07 PM
ShrimpRetirement

Do you keep any plecos bro? For your size tank, I'd toss in like 4 BNPs in there to clean that stuff up. They work around the clock too.
post #174 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Do you keep any plecos bro? For your size tank, I'd toss in like 4 BNPs in there to clean that stuff up. They work around the clock too.
No plecos...the last 2 I had died and never seemed to keep stuff clean (that was in my 90 gal and not in this tank). I thought about getting a couple Hillstream loaches cause I heard they help with algea...anyone know this to be true??

post #175 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

hillstream loaches are great for algae, but not in your tank, too much CO2. They need HIGHLY oxygenated water to thrive for long periods of time. Bushynose plecos would probably be the best bet. Stiphodon atropurpureus Is another I have seen do a good job but have never had one myself.
post #176 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

you can bleach dip the anubias. they handle it very well. or peroxide/excel spot dose on them.
post #177 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Absolutely loving this tank, your planning, handiwork, and patience has made this tank amazing. I can't wait to see the moss grow out in the front of this tank. I would also recommend a couple BN plecos. Only, downfall of plecos is there bio-load. But with that over filtration it wouldn't be a problem. Keep up the great work and updates with more pics.

The worst defeat in the world, is when you give up.
post #178 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Algae Grower

Just went through the entire thread and I must say I love it. Beautiful tank, set up, and determination! I also recommend the BN plecos, mine is great.

100gl planted
55gl planted
post #179 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch804 View Post
hillstream loaches are great for algae, but not in your tank, too much CO2. They need HIGHLY oxygenated water to thrive for long periods of time. Bushynose plecos would probably be the best bet. Stiphodon atropurpureus Is another I have seen do a good job but have never had one myself.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightAddicted View Post
Absolutely loving this tank, your planning, handiwork, and patience has made this tank amazing. I can't wait to see the moss grow out in the front of this tank. I would also recommend a couple BN plecos. Only, downfall of plecos is there bio-load. But with that over filtration it wouldn't be a problem. Keep up the great work and updates with more pics.
Thank you! It was alot of planning and thinking and have been very pleased with it. I to can't wait for the moss to grow out cause I know it will take a while. I will try to post pics a little more often.

post #180 of 414 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I will have to try the BN plecos again and see how they do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode