How Not to Plant a Tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Many of those tanks have been worked on for years...and many of those tank owners are simply more talented them me at this. Lol I have accepted this fact. I hate my 12 gallon tank.I changed the substrate to soil and have had ammonia problems ever since. My crypts are doing great though. Sighh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantimagine View Post
Many of those tanks have been worked on for years...and many of those tank owners are simply more talented them me at this. Lol I have accepted this fact. I hate my 12 gallon tank.I changed the substrate to soil and have had ammonia problems ever since. My crypts are doing great though. Sighh
yeah i think read something about all the bio breakdown that happens w/ soil. so i spend the $ on the substrate :S I think eventually there won't be anything left to decompose and then you shouldnt have ammonia problems anymore. isn't waiting fun? (i dont really know what im talking about. ive read so much, it's all run together and i don't know what i know anymore.)

I have gone to a place far below up above and in between the middle.
post #33 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

looking back at these pictures is quite astonishing. doesn't even look like the same tank. i have a wisteria aquarium now, hah. it filled up the tank. been cutting pieces off and throwing them out. its going pretty good besides some algae, but its not as problematic as it once was. Very slowly working on the tree. Hard to find a good time to use a loud machine that spews pieces of driftwood everywhere around an 18 month old. fancy that.

i finnnnnnnnally got the back up/quarantine tank set up and Cornelius has undergone one full dose of antibiotics. i can't even slightly tell a difference. I'm also suffering from a great deal of "mom guilt" from moving him. I took him out of his home, away from his friends. He hid behind the filter like a caged animal (I mean, he is, but.. you know what I mean). My 18 month old daughter kept excitedly screaming and hitting the tank. She means well, I'm sure. We're working on it. Its been almost a week and he comes out from behind the filter and he is eating now. So at least he is getting used to his new home. I'm just concerned that I put him through all that and the medicine isnt working. I thought I had read something about some fish having a missing palate or something....

I dunno. Will post updated pictures in the near future.

post #34 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

updated pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wisteria 003.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	45842  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wisteria 002.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	45844  

post #35 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

the tree project. completely forgot to take a picture of the 2nd piece before it was cut into branches. kinda too late now.

using a mix of aquarium glue/silicone and superglue. the branches just barely seem to be hanging on. i dont think a screw would go through this stuff without splitting it. not sure how it will hold in the current.

Last edited by mommabear1007; 11-15-2012 at 05:34 PM.
post #36 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Algae Grower

the updated pictures look great! getting better just takes time!
post #37 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Returning. Videotapes.

Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
Keep up the good work, Mommabear!! This hobby is pretty much like golf: you either love it or hate it.....which are you?

I doubt that your little one will do much to the tank if she is hitting or slapping it, unless she has something really hard in her hands (like a rock, etc.). Just don't let her tilt it over!!

Your antibiotics may or may not work on Cornelius. I gave up using them as they seemed to kill off all the "good" nitrifying bacteria and never really healed the infection or solved the actual problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him!
post #38 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks matt!

crazydaz - thanks, im really enjoying it! not a lot of time (or money) right now to do the research required for what i want to achieve with this. so i just have to let it be for now.

i don't think she's strong enough to tip it over (i flipping hope not). but she can open the lid and stick her hand in there so that could mess something up. but the tank cornelius is in is just a back up... for now... i dont think its even cycled. i was just going to keep him in it to medicate him.. didn't want to risk killing off my good bacteria in the established tank with the antibiotics. someday i would like to do something with it but it will be many moons from now. i will try giving him another round of anitbiotics and if there's still no difference, maybe i'll just take him back home and assume that the red hole by one of his gills and his red eyes are normal. :/ he'd been like that for months before i finally got the back up tank set up and him in there. must not be too sick.

post #39 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

LOL and u told me growth was slow.. as u can see now. the bigger the plant get. the faster it grows in man cases

especially concerning a weed such as wisteria

doesn't look like the algae is too rough.. lemme know how things are going. u gotst ma numbers
post #40 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

lol.. the growth of everything besides the wisteria is slow =P
algae not too bad, no, compared to what it was. you can't really see in the pictures that its all over the plants. not the wisteria so much, but everything else.

post #41 of 133 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Invested $1.00 in a scrub pad and then went to work on the algae infesting my tank. I'm thinking the blue-green slimy sticky stuff in the front right corner could've been in part due from poor flow in that area. So I moved the powerhead to face that corner. It's unsightly but we'll see if that helps. Gently vacuumed the gravel because someone was way too generous with the fish food over the weekend, spent some time trimming, and changed about 60% of the water. Some kind of grey, chalky stuff came off of the filter tubes. Dead algae, maybe??? I also rinsed out the filters and replaced the old carbon with filter floss. Replaced some of the floss that was in the small filter too. Pretty nervous about the effect all that will have. There was still a chunk of floss I left in there and both filters have bio max in them so hopefully I didn't destroy too much of the bacteria.

So we always have trouble getting the smaller filter to run again. Not sure what it is. My poor fiance was vigorously pumping it for about 15 - 20 minutes and couldn't get it going. He then stops, leans over, does something, comes back up and says, "Erin... maybe you should plug this in first." Somehow, I am still engaged.

post #42 of 133 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I should not be allowed to own pets. I lost the fish food for a couple of days. And then today realized the second (larger) filter wasn't plugged in. It probably hasn't been plugged in since the last water change, which was over a week ago. Anyone know what that will do? Is the bacteria completely dead or just dormant, maybe??

I can only hope that the algae all over everything was made worse by the fact that one of the filters wasn't running. I am so frustrated with this thing.

post #43 of 133 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Clean the second filter thoroughly and change out the filter material. It may poison the tank. If you open up the lid and smell inside it will most likely smell like rotten eggs. Be very careful and make sure you work in a well ventilated area when you first start working on the filter.
post #44 of 133 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

....its been running for almost 6 hours... what did i do to my fish?!

post #45 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The plants seemed to have stopped growing and started dying. Even the wisteria seems to be dying. I trimmed a LOT of it a couple of weeks ago, because it was covered in algae. The newer growth is bright green, but its slow compared to what it used to be, barely even noticeable. Also a sheet of BGA over the gravel and some of the plants. Brown and blackish algae all over everything else. : / The leaves are breaking off.

Maybe a cover over the tank to decrease the amount of light thats getting in? I fertilize w. flourish comp once a week but thats it. I can't seem to remember to put the excel in so basically no CO2. Ive been meaning to get snails to aerate the gravel. This thing has kind of been put on hold for awhile. But I'm almost ready to start working on it again.

I'm afraid I'll have to just throw the plants out and start over. I'm not entirely opposed to that since I hate the way this looks anyway, but I'm afraid I'll just have the same problems again. I can't seem to get rid of the BGA or diatoms. :'(

Last edited by sewingalot; 07-07-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: language

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode